PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die and top punch needed

whitewolf68
09-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Please forgive be but I am a noob to casting and so far having fun doing it. I am just getting ready to size and lube the boolits I've made thus far but I need the sizing die and top punch, only problem is I've no idea what number punch.

I've been using a Lee mold # 90303 158gn SWC and have a lyman sizer.

They have also come out slightly on the heavy side as well @ about 162gn. Should I scrap them and start over?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

09-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Go over to the Castpics site (link at bottom of page), they have a top punch cross-reference chart. Don't expect an exact fit, though, with rings left on the nose as the result.

The best remedy is to use JB Weld to either make a flat punch or an impression of the boolit. I cast that boolit and made a flat punch. Now, it's used for different boolits in different calibres. A site search will provide much information.

Don't worry about the weight.

theperfessor
09-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Not to be overly commercial but I can sell you a Lyman/RCBS compatible flat nose punch for $8 and a cup nose punch designed to be filled with JB Weld to make a conformal nose for $8.50. They have an O-ring on the shank that holds them in the ram without needing to use the setscrew in the ram. Price includes shipping in the USA and I have 1-3 day service. Email address is in sig line below.

09-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Apologies, Keith, I keep forgetting about your excellent top punches. Either I'm getting older or I have too much information to remember, one.

Anyway, you produce a quality product at a very reasonable price.

fishnbob
09-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Not to be overly commercial but I can sell you a Lyman/RCBS compatible flat nose punch for $8 and a cup nose punch designed to be filled with JB Weld to make a conformal nose for $8.50. They have an O-ring on the shank that holds them in the ram without needing to use the setscrew in the ram. Price includes shipping in the USA and I have 1-3 day service. Email address is in sig line below.

Can you e-mail me your order form and other info available so I can see what I am lacking in the way of top punches.

Thanks, Bobby
fishnbob on Cast Boolits
fishnbobr1@msn.com

whitewolf68
09-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Thank you so very much 462, your information has given me the go ahead to get the parts needed. Hopefully my father has them. After I posted my question he told me he had lots of casting equipment, go figure, glad he told me.

I was very concerned about the weights because they vary from about 161 to 162.9, after I weighed them.

Again I want to thank you for your help and information.

Also thank you Perfessor for your information as well. I am going to check with my father and see what he has first. If he does not have them I will be back. :)

theperfessor
09-24-2011, 02:33 PM
462 - you give good advice and a link to a useful reference at Castpics. For somebody that has an OEM nose punch with a number on it that is very handy to know what bullet(s) it would fit. And a lot of folks have made "universal" flat face nose punches out of 1/4-20 bolts that are perfectly satisfactory for most flat nose (SWCs, WCs, RNFPs) bullets. The OP's father may have what he needs already at hand, which beats having to order them from anybody.

I apologize for the commercial intrusion, and I don't want to come across like George Herter, but if somebody needs something and you have a product that is better and cheaper than the competition it's hard not to recommend it. I have often recommended Bull Plate lube to other members and yet have no commercial stake or interest in it, simply because it is a better product at a cheaper price.

fishnbob - email sent