PDA

View Full Version : 30 Cal

Chihuahua Floyd
09-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Been casting and shooting pistol bullets for 10-12 years. Two and six cavity Lee dies. No big problems.
Tried a Lyman 311291 last night. Cast over 60 and only keeping 31. Is this a normal rate of keepers? Did not sort out the first ones while mold was warming up.
Have about 15 or so that could be used for fouling shots, but not serious wrok. May melt them down as well.
After a six cavity mold, the one banger sure seems slow.
Now just need to talk wife into gas checks and sizing die. Plan on using LLA and Lee push thru sizer.
Thanks
CF

Blammer
09-23-2011, 09:24 PM
for a Lyman? no, that's a poor rate of keepers.

Lyman's work a bit different than the lee ones. I suspect you'll need to increase your casting speed to get good ones all the time.

I find Lee 2C to have to cast slow with them to let the mould cool as it over heats too quickly.

09-23-2011, 10:47 PM
What, exactly, was the reason(s) for rejecting the ones you did? Poor fillout? Wrinkled? (I suspect that the mould was not hot enough.)

I have that same mould (ancient Ideal 308291) in a single cavity, also, and it is arguably the best casting mould I own. Every boolit it drops is a keeper, including the first one.

Obviously, a single cavity can't keep pace with a six cavity, but any boolit-to-boolit variences will be almost negligible. Once the mould is to its optimum operating temperature and you establish a good casting rythym, you'll be amazed by how fast the boolits pile up.

Bret4207
09-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Get the mould clean, Leement/Lyment it if you need to. Get it hot and start casting. Try different ways of casting- spout in contact with sprue hole, air space between spout and sprue hole, let the stream hit the hole off center. Before long you'll find the trick for that mould. Keep it hot, cold moulds make lousy boolits.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Rejects were mostly deep wrinkles, a couple of bad bases.
I was going at the rate I usually go with my Lee aluminimum molds. I'll try an increased rate of speed next time. Maybe this afternoon or tonight.
thanks
CF

09-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Your mould was not hot enough. If it has been pre-heated enough, the first boolit dropped will be a keeper.

mdi
09-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Your Lyman mold will need differentcasting techniques than your Lee molds. Try a bit hotter mold, and vary your pour. I have alum. and iron molds and each seems to have it's own personality; it's own preferrences of temp, speed, etc.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Tried again tonight and much better results. Almost 100 usable bullets. I think 95 out of around 100.
Now, to GC or not and what powder??
CF

09-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Okay, sounds like your mould was hotter.

Go with gas checks, but some people get good results without them.

You've not mention the gun, so a powder suggestion is a bit difficult. However, Unique and 2400 are always excellent powders, for reduced rifle loads. Either Lyman's Cast Bullet or Reloading Handbooks will give you a plethora of cast loads.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Rifle will be Ruger M77 in 30-06. Loaded a dummy round yesterday and looks like I will need to seat deeper than the crimp groove to avoid engaging the rifling. COL of dummy round is 2.966 while my 150g SP runs 3.235. I know the SP is way longer than the cast round, does this sound about right? Will try to get picts later.
Thanks
CF

Bret4207
09-25-2011, 08:47 AM
An '06? YES! Use the GC.

Jack Stanley
09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Gas checks ?? If you want velocity with it and better chances of getting good groups then I'd say yes use 'em and enjoy them . With that said though even though I do use checks for thirty caliber , I use a short range load without the gas check and a very mild charge of Unique . This load is used for up to fifty yards or so with my military bolt actions . It's low velocity , fits the rifles well , gives great accuracy and no leading .

I think others here have a plinking load that works well without gas checks but I'm sure starting out results will be better with them .

Jack

btroj
09-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I will say this- I never use a gas check design with the check. I know other do it and report no problems. I just choose to use one if the bullet is fitted for it. I am not that cheep!

That bullet should work quite well for you.