PDA

View Full Version : Lead from Mexico?

supe47
09-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone has procured lead from Mexico? I live in SoCal and " pickins are slim " at the tire shops. Anyone know the legalities about bringing lead back from mexico to Ca?

bowfin
09-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Not sure if it would be considered "smuggling".

But you would be coming back into California, right? I would hollow out a bale of marijuana and put the wheelweights inside of that to hide them. Then have a couple of illegals drive it across the border, just to be on the safe side.

If California catches one of their own citizens with lead, it could be nasty.

btroj
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Make sure your casting pot can speak Spanish. Nothing worse than lead that won't behave because it don't know English.

Blammer
09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
too funny!

:grin:

Red River Rick
09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
As Bowfin suggests, hiding the wheel weights in an unsuspecting everyday item such as a bale of gonge, would be best!

They'll never look in the bale, they see them all the time! So why would they check there!

RRR

btroj
09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
How is the lead situation in Manitoba Rick? I was just up that way and the guys at the hunting lodge couldn't believe we had any trouble finding wheel weights here in the US.

fredj338
09-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone has procured lead from Mexico? I live in SoCal and " pickins are slim " at the tire shops. Anyone know the legalities about bringing lead back from mexico to Ca?

Good idea! Let me know if you come up with a large score & want to split some up. I live in So OC, always looking for lead scores.

Char-Gar
09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
When you cross back into the United States, you are asked if you have anything to declare. If you say no and have anything, you can be prosecuted for "failing to declare" even if the material is legal to import into the US.

I had a client to pulled up the the US border and was asked if he had anything to declare. He said no and they looked in the trunk of his car. They they found over 40 pounds of pure silver bullion in bars.

At that time it was illegal under Mexican law to export silver without some very restrictive licenses, but entirely legal to import it into the US duty free. Because he did not declare the silver which was legal, he lost the silver, his car and got a heavy fine.

All the guy had to do was say..."I have 40 pounds of silver",and go inside and fill out a Customs declaration form and go on his way.

I have no idea if there are restriction on importing lead into the US, but a phone call to US Customs will get you that information. It is a stupid idea to consider hiding the lead and failing to declare it at the US port of entry.

Red River Rick..US Customs has a large x-Ray machine at each port of entry that is used to inspect the cargo of truck. They are looking for dope. They will pull that truck with bails through the machine and they will see the lead and they will tear into the bails to see what it is and they will file charges on you for failing to declare.

supe47
09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I've traveled to upper Baja for the last 30yrs. and I understand the declaration thing but have never brought anything back NORTH. We built several homes with donated materials from our construction sites so everything was always traveling south. I was just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with the feds about bringing lead into Ca. I do purchase lead from "the captain" but always on the lookout for a new lead source. Maybe just take a trip to Tj (spittin' distance) and see what gives. Thanks for the responses.

secondshooter
09-23-2011, 08:39 PM
just make muliple trips with the wheel weights attached to your rims and customs will never suspect a thing, it will be the biggest scam ever!

Baja_Traveler
09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I was just talking about this at the range this past weekend! My idea was to try to find where the battery recycling operation is at. They smelt the battery plates in high heat furnaces into 60 pound pure lead ingots. I'd be willing to bet lead can be had for less than a dollar a pound down there. Next time I go through the Otay crossing I'll ask the inspector about it, I haven't had a job down there in awhile though...

2wheelDuke
09-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Get the lead into some type of ingot form, then beat the living hell out of it with hammers, and maybe melt one end with a torch. Maybe even go after it with transfer punches.

Then you can declare it as a sculpture with a clear conscience.

leadbutt
09-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Dig a tunnel.

mongo
09-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Be careful, I heard if you melt WW from Mexico it runs out of your pot and under the fence.

Sonnypie
09-24-2011, 04:08 PM
It might have freolie flux in it.
Then everybody would get hungry when you fire up the smelt. [smilie=l:

sabot_round
09-24-2011, 04:14 PM
This thread went south quick!! Hillarious!!

littlejack
09-24-2011, 08:42 PM
These guys don't cut ANYONE any slack.

fredj338
09-24-2011, 10:06 PM
I've traveled to upper Baja for the last 30yrs. and I understand the declaration thing but have never brought anything back NORTH. We built several homes with donated materials from our construction sites so everything was always traveling south. I was just wondering if anybody has had any dealings with the feds about bringing lead into Ca. I do purchase lead from "the captain" but always on the lookout for a new lead source. Maybe just take a trip to Tj (spittin' distance) and see what gives. Thanks for the responses.

I think you would be fine declaring lead as scrap metal. I doubt the ICE guys are going to care much when they see buckets or boxes in the back.

mac3
09-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Be careful, I heard if you melt WW from Mexico it runs out of your pot and under the fence.

That was absolutely hilarious. Glad I didn't have a mouthful when I read this. Thanks for the laugh.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Now that I have read that one, I will get a cup of coffee.
CF

lcclower
09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Get a broom and a dustpan and patrol the streets of El Paso, Texas picking up stray bullets.

DukeInFlorida
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Just don't tell the feds that you will be making boolits with all the lead............... They'll set up some kind of surveillance, and a sting operation. All at taxpayers cost.

a.squibload
09-29-2011, 03:10 AM
Buy F350.
Remove fenders, hood, bed, etc., and store in garage.
Drive to Mexico, find body shop.
Have fenders, etc. replaced, made from lead.
Drive back home.

Or somethin' like that...