PDA

View Full Version : Got my .760 ball mold today!

happyfast79
09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
well im still at work but i checked the tracking number and it shows that the mold was deliverd. so i guess ill start playing when i get home. my largest choke on my 10 guage is .764 so hopefully ill be able to get this ball to shoot decently. the gun is a 28" browning bps. any ideas or hints on the loading? i dont have a roll crimper yet .. so i hope the fold crimp will work with them

Junior1942
09-23-2011, 03:45 PM
What brand .760 ball mold?

happyfast79
09-23-2011, 07:28 PM
just some no name made in india forged steel old school style cheapy. that i thought id try out and if i like the ball load then ill order a custom one.

happyfast79
09-23-2011, 10:58 PM
so turns out mold is very primative and ball is up to .020 out of round so im gona file a few down and fire them and then if they shoot ok im gona order a true .760 mold from JT moulds. how do you guys get your crimp hieght correct as im putting 2 plastic gas seals and then a remington sp 10 cushioned wad with a 1/4 20 ga cork filler and then the ball with a over shot disk above that and still a bit to short for a good crimp

longbow
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Personally I would be careful with two plastic gas seals unless the recipe calls for it. You may wind up with high pressure due to a better seal than the recipe anticipates. Better to use nitro cards or hard card fillers on top of the cushion leg to make up the wad column and get correct height for crimp.

This 0.760" ball has to be too big to fit into a shotcup so you will need something to center the ball in the bore ~ like a donut wad or inverted gas seal under the ball... or a cut down shotcup.

If you are looking at getting another ball mould my suggestion is a ball diameter to fit a standard shotcup and still fit through the choke. I find these easier to load than messing with building up card wad columns. At worst, you wind up dropping a few under size nitro card wads in under the ball to get crimp height right. My view anyway.

Also, this allows use of shot load recipes for ball loads of equal weight.

I am betting you could use a ball of 0.720" to 0.730" in a thin petal shotcup and that should give you a weight of around 575 grs.

Longbow

happyfast79
09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info . i loaded up som min loads last night useing 45 gr of blue dot, 2 10x gas seals and a remington sp1- wad cut down to 1/2 inch with a 1/4" cork 20 ga filler wad and got 4-5" group at 30 yards. ill look into what i need to get a ball to fit into my rem sp10 wads