PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Gunsmith in the house?

gunnut14
09-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I am interested in finding a gunsmith who will answer questions via PM or here concerning something that I want to do.

I am interested in the Gahendra Martini rifles and have read about everything I can find about them.
On one website they say they are junk and should be used as wall hangers only.
On another the resident smith says they are ok to collect but never shot..

I have one that I have shot and if the barrel was in better shape would not feel bad about shooting it regulary.
I recently bought another one and 2 parts rifles.
The complete one except for stock damage looks to have never been fired.

The parts rifles have a lot of minor problems but nothing that couldn't be worked around.
I want to use the parts rifles as a base for changing out the barrels to 43 Mauser.
Smaller case but basicly same ballistics.

I guess what I am asking is are the actions safe?
There are so many I know it alls out there that you get lost when trying to find good info.

I realize that the internet is a lousy place to be looking for gun info but where I live if it ain't black it ain't worth shooting according to the only gunsmith around.

gunnut14

Char-Gar
09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't think any responsible gunsmith would give you an opinion on any rifle, WITHOUT having the rifle in his hands to inspect.

gunnut14
09-23-2011, 12:18 PM
That was part of the idea Charger!
Like I said around here if it ain't black and have holo sights it ain't a gun for anyone to shoot.
I am interested in finding someone to talk to and see if I send what I have to them would they say yea or nay.
Also what to look for on my end before I waste his and my time.

It becomes a little frustrating when you have an idea and all you get is if it ain't black it is unsafe to shoot.

gunnut14

Char-Gar
09-23-2011, 06:37 PM
OK... There are two possible questions and I am not certain which one you are asking.

1. Is one of these rifles in good condition safe to shoot?

You may or may not get answer depending on what the individual knows about the rifles. I would suspect, you would get some "yes" answers and some "no" answers and you will be back from square one.

2. Is my rifle safe to shoot? Here nobody in their right mind will give an answer with out inspecting the rifles.

I know little about these rifle, but do understand they are of dubious quality. When in doubt err on the side of keeping your eyesight, fingers and hands. The world is full of good quality rifles, so why take a chance on something like this.

Dan Cash
09-23-2011, 07:22 PM
The Gahendra looks a bit crude but is probably no worse than many early American cartridge arms. I have one which I have shot a good deal but have grown tired of trying to fit bullet to chamber and refuse to buy dies at nearly $200. As a result, mine is retired to ornament status. It did not blow up during firing of 3 or 4 hundred shots of black powder (85 gr FF) under a 500 gr Lyman bullet. Your milage may vary.

ilcop22
09-28-2011, 05:41 PM
+1 to Chargar. My motto: if in doubt, throw it out. Or in the case of firearms, stick 'em on a wall or don't buy them. That said, I would say no, they are not safe and you should not attempt to operate with them.

John Taylor
09-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Just watched a u-tube video on the Gahendra Martini and I don't know why it is called a Martini. It looks like a Peabody alright but does not have the Martini firing pin which is inclosed in the breach block. Never had one of these in the shop before but I get lots of Martinis in.
As is with most of these old gun, the metal is suspect, never know what they used. I have not had any blow up but I would never go beyond the pressure of the original cartridge. I did proof test a Martini that had Pakistan markings and chambered in 348 improved. I really thought it was going to come apart so it was inserted in a large pipe and a long string tied to the trigger. I was surprised that it held together.