PDA

View Full Version : Help with MP-200-45 HP loading

bogorman
09-22-2011, 09:00 PM
A while back I got in on a group buy for one of Miha's beautiful 200gr rf 45 hollowpoint molds. It drops a beautiful bullet, however once I got to loading I began having issues. I'm not new to reloading, but have never had such a difficult time a round to function in a gun. [smilie=b:
The gun is a Kimber Pro Carry II, and my problem is I can't seem to make rounds that allow the gun to go fully into battery. I'm loading on a Lee Pro 1000with a lee resizer, and powder die, and a RCBS taper crimp die. Loading .38's on this same press I've had 0 issues. My loaded rounds are 1.170 inches long and .472 at the case mouth and I'm sizing at .451. It seems that when I'm seating and crimping a ring of lead is being pushed up on the bullet. However if I crimp less chambering suffers even more. Just wondering if anyone has any die setup suggestions, and OAL guides for this bullet. Trying to post pics but need to figure out how to shrink the file size.

Rico1950
09-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Bell your cases before seating and crimp in a separate operation. OAL is for your gun. Make up a dummy round and drop it in the removed barrel.

plainsman456
09-22-2011, 09:26 PM
What Rico said.It does help to use your barrel as a gauge for testing length.
Hope you get it worked out.

bogorman
09-22-2011, 09:34 PM
I've used the barrel as a gauge, just not sure how short I can safely load these rounds. As for crimping and seating in separate operations, I realize that would be ideal, however the press has 3 stations and I would prefer to not have to crimp in a separate operation.

mroliver77
09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
I shoot the same boolit in 2 1911s, one a Colt and one a SA Inc. Set the oal like I would any other boolit. I seat long and keep shortening it until round will fit flush in barrel. lEAD SHAVING WOULD NOT BE THE FAULT OF THE BOOLIT BUT loading technique. I taper crimp enough to take the bell away and just a half a fuzz more. Are you getting enough bell on the case to keep boolit from shaving? It don't appear so from my angle.
Jay

USSR
09-23-2011, 07:20 PM
My loaded rounds are 1.170 inches long and .472 at the case mouth and I'm sizing at .451.

With this bullet, I am also sizing at .451, and length is 1.2 inches. But, the case mouth is .469 - .470", and I am taper crimping as a separate operation.

Don

JDFuchs
09-23-2011, 07:51 PM
I load 45acp for two Kimber 1911's. I have found its nearly impossible to seat and crimp in one operation and have the round chamber well. I know depending on the press but if you seat the bullet and crimp in separate operations your problems should be solved. The problem from what I've seen is as the case becomes tapered inwards it will cut / move the lead around so it sits in front of the brass. Since the 45acp head spaces on the case mouth you will then be head spacing off of the lead a ways before the case itself. In trying to play with it I've often ended up with a round almost fully chambered but not and had to push the slide fully into battery and fire the round to clear it!!

shawnsmc
09-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I had a similar problem awhile back and it turned out that I didn't have the sizer all the way down to the shell holder so it was only sizing 3/4 of the case. This left a slight bulge that would make it difficult to fully chamber. I also have this mold and have never had a problem with it. It even feeds in my Taurus 24/7 that is extremely picky about boolits. Hope this helps.

Shooter6br
09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
I have Kimber Target II ss . I use the same mold. OAL is important . I use a Lee crimp die and a Dillion case .gauge. MY oal is I believe 1.225

gefiltephish
09-26-2011, 11:26 PM
I shoot this same bullet in 2 RIA's, CS & FS.

Sized to .452. OAL 1.175 for the CS and 1.210 for the FS, although the 1.175 shoots fine in the FS. Case gets sized with a Lee. Expanded with a Lyman M die with only the slightest of flaring. Seated with Lee (w/o crimping). Taper crimped with Hornady, just enough to flatten the flare. I use either WST or 231, just depends on which way the wind blows that day. Lube with either Lyman alox stick (previously) or speed green (presently).

No chambering issues or leading. Bullets and guns far more accurate than I am. My only regret with this bullet is that I only bought one mold! Would love to have a 4 cav.

bogorman
09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I played around a bit and tried crimping in a separate step, eliminated the pushed up ring of lead and my chambering problem. Didn't want to add another step, but oh well, one more reason to upgrade to a Hornady progressive with five stations. Not that would necessarily be a bad thing, other than the sting on the wallet.