PDA

View Full Version : .35 Rem with the brass shortened

blaster
09-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey lever gunners. Indiana just changed its deer rules, 1.16-1.8" cartridge cases with .357+ projectiles are legal for next year.

I'm already kicking around a marlin 336c in .35 Rem with the brass trimmed from 1.92 to 1.799.

Do you guys think it would work OK? Would that leave me with enough neck?

Rico1950
09-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Doesn't the rule apply to the original rounds OAL?

Lonegun1894
09-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Per my manuals, the neck is .335 long, so may be a bit short, but I'd try it. I figure worst case scenario is that it doesnt work as well as hoped and you have some cleaning to do.

It may apply to the round his gun was originally chambered for, but I would think that his new wildcat round should be ok. I mean, it may cost a ticket or something while he's out in the woods, but wouldn't your ammunition being measured clear you in the end? Just asking.

357Mag
09-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Blaster -

Howdy !

" Great minds think alike " !

I've been case-forming some .35 calibre wildcat designs here of late.

You can use a stock .358 Win FL size die ( LEE ) with expander & mandrel removed, to make die open-topped.

Since the .358Win has a shoulder diam of some .454", and .35 Rem basic brass has a shoulder smaller in diam; you can use a " perch" to help re-form .35Rem brass in the .358Win die.

A perch is made froma stock .308 shell holder, a flat-head screw w/ a head diam less than .455" daim; and two jam nuts.
The screw has one jam nut on it above the shellholder, and one below.

In-use, the extra screw threads are situated in the primer arm slot of the press
( mine's a "Rockchucker " ).

Brass to be formed is situated atop the perch, and press arm operated to advance brass up-into the case formeing ( .358Win FL ) die.
As the shoulder is shoved downward on the brass, excess brass extrudes out the top of the open-topped die.

You can run the shoulder downward on the brass, up to a point of where the new .35 widlcat's shoulder diameter is .454". However, at that "formed shoulder diameter, you'd have inadequate case capacity/ case oal.

**** SO... you'd need to stop shoving the shoudler at a point where you can still cut the final brass to .358WIn neck length ( assumes you'd chamber w/ a .358Win die held " short " ). When this is done, the formed shoulder would be smaller in diam than .454", and could be fire-formed ( if even proven necessary ) to expand out a few thou'.....l again, only if need be. You'd also be keeping an eye out for the majic case oal Indiana requires.

No custom dies... no custom reamers.

One can also wildcat w/ the .358Win die and "perch, utilizinn 7 X 64 Brennekke brass, which has a nominal base diam of .466".

Let's talk, again.

Regards,
357Mag

blaster
09-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Great info there 357, but more involved than I'm looking for, I don't want to move the shoulder just trim .121 off of the case neck.

Rico, Case length is the operative measure.

Lone, that would only leave me with .214 of neck. I wounder if that would be enough neck tension. I'm not worried about a ticket since it will be legal and I'm not worried about representation if I get one since I'm a lawyer.

I posed this on Indiana sportsman and someone said he had the same idea, but he was going to go with a single shot to eliminate need for crimp or worries about cycling.

Rico1950
09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
So wildlife officials are going around measuring everyones case length?

Rico1950
09-23-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-deerhuntguide.pdf

2011-2012 Indiana Deer Hunting Guide.

"Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet
of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a
minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and
have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches
are legal to use only during the deer firearm
season."

GabbyM
09-23-2011, 11:49 PM
trimming .121" off a 35 REM leaves a 1.799" case.

Top of the shoulder on a 35 REM is 1.584".

These silly new pistol caliber hunting laws are a custom gun makers dream. Particularly ignorant when you consider the fact that pistol caliber rifles are by far more inherently dangerous than HV small caliber rifles. But we should probably keep that a secret.

The thing about wildcats which are designed to work around a law is this. You can never be 100% legal out in the field. You are simply stacking points against you. Who knows what some game warden will find offending? I’m mostly dipping into my truck driving experiences rather than hunting here. If you stand out in nay way you will be scrutinized. Well on any given Sunday that could be a sorry day in your life.

Fact is a 357 magnum will hammer the dickens out of a deer easily out to 100 yards and 150 yards with some skill. Makes those shotguns slugs look like the slingshots they are.

In a single shot 357 you can load rifle bullets like my 205 grain 35 rem boolit which places more bullet out in the nose to free up case capacity. But that’s all splitting hairs on paper.

Unfortunately we are in a scourge of Corporate issues with Marlin lever guns. Or I’d say just trade off for an 1894 in 357 or 44. The break top single shots are actually kind of handy. You can always sell one a couple years out for thirty bucks less than you paid for it.

Back about 1971 I purchased a Hawkins smoke pole to hunt deer here in Illinois.
There were no muzzle loader only hunting seasons back then I just knew shotgun slugs suck. Well that and Robert Redford got kissed by his Indian wife in a movie Jeremiah Johnson . And he lusted for a fifty caliber Hawkins. I was 15 and confused.

If you’re gona go pistol caliber hunting then watch a few western movies and get attached to a 44-40 John Wayne cowboy gun. Then buy a 44 mag lever gun and load it with 205 grain boolits at 1400 fps. The old 44-40 black powder rounds only launched the 205 gr at 1205 fps. If you wanted to you could launch a gas checked 250 grain slug at 1,500 fps or a #429215 at 220 grains at 1,700 fps. Then 357 mag ballistics are no slouch out of a rifle

troy_mclure
09-24-2011, 12:26 AM
look for hornady leverrevalution brass. it is quite a bit shorter, so less trimming will be needed.

357Mag
09-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Blaster -

OK... some more idle thoughts.....

It sounds like the Indiana law on minimum deer "rifle" calibre/case would allow for use of a .357Mag @ 1.290". .38Spl cases are 1.155" long.
You quoted "case oal " , and not "cartridge oal ".

A .357AutoMag case length of 1.470" ( un-altered ) would be longer than the case length stated. .357 Baine & Davis cases would run right around 1.600" oal.

If you were to shoot .35 Rem "shorties " in a stock M336, is one idea to come up with minimum recoil effects by means of shooting the absolute MINIMUM case capacity you can get by with ?

One more time....
A .35 Rem case shortened ( for example ) to 1.285" case oal and with a
.358 Win-length neck; would give the following cartridge oals... with the example bullets seated to tops of their cannelures:

1.285" case w/ Rem 150 PSP = 1.870" c.o.a.l.

1.285" case w/ Hornady 140 " FLEX-Tip" = 1.650" c.o.a.l.

As you can see by the reference bullet examples, use of longer/heavier .357" or
.358" cal bullets in a case of 1.285" length ;would result in cartridges w/ c.o.a.l.s
significantly longer-than 1.870".

Thinking aloud... an H & R Handi-Rifle in .45Long Colt, shooting .45 calibre muzzle-loader sabots; loaded w/ .35 cal bullets. One could pull the bullets, and load .35 calibre bullet of his choice ( rifle twist allowing ), should empty/new .45 cal sabots ( that accept .35 cal bulets ) be un-obtainable on their own.

Further along the H & R line-up...... that combo .45LC/ .410 combo Rifle would have a rifled barrel. .410 hulls ( maybe sabots, too ) could be cut short, and loaded w/ the .35cal bullet of choice. This would be a short-range proposition,
fer sher.

Just some thoughts....

With regards,
357Mag

scb
09-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I'd be willing to bet if and when you get caught by some bunny cop you will be either arrested or at least ticketed. Now when you get to court with your lawyer, and if you get a judge that's willing to listen to your argument you might prevail. But at what cost. If I just HAD to do something like this I'd get a "beater" 30/30 and have someone put a 357 Herrett (1.75" cast length) barrel on it. My $.02.

HMC710
09-24-2011, 09:43 AM
How about a short 35 Remington using a 7.62x39 case?
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155/tekwerk/35ARem.jpg

7.62 through a trimmed 35 Rem die, Fire formed 35 ARem w/Hornady 180 SSP, 300 Blackout
OAL is 2.150" right now, still doing some load development.

excess650
09-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I think you're just inviting trouble.

What would I do? Find a 30-30 336 and rebarrel to 357 Herrett. Cases are easily made from 30-30s. Speer #10 lists case length at 1.765".

Data from a 14" Contender barrel and 180gr Speer FN (max loads):

32gr WW60 for 1944fps
27gr IMR4227 1817fps
25gr WW296 1834fps
24.5gr H110 1837fps
24gr Hercules 2400 1887fps

158gr are 2000fps+

This is a VERY efficient cartridge. There are lots of cast boolits that would perform very well, and you'll pick up some velocity by going to a longer barrel.

junkbug
09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Scb has a great point. The DNR man is the law in the field. If he doesn't like it, then you get a ticket, maybe your gun confiscated, and perhaps even jail. Then, once you are out (with the stigma of "poaching offender" stuck to you) then it is your burden to prove you did not violate some poorly thought out, bizzare law.

The law certainly seems to intend to allow carbines chambered for magnum revolver cartridges, and no others. Without some written proof that your combination is acceptable to the local game authorities, do you want to be the town Crash Test Dummy?

I know I don't.

blaster
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
As I stated I'm not worried about getting a ticket, I'm a lawyer. The prosecutor had the burden of proof of establishing that the cartridge case was over 1.8" all I have to do is raise the defense that the case was >1.8. I love going to court when I know I'm going to win.

You guys are getting off point here. I really don't want to re-barrel anything especially for a wildcat when these regs have changed twice now in 3 years.

Will I have issues running shortened cases in a dead stock 336c with standard reloading data?

357Mag
09-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Blaster -

Before I take my MEDs..... Thinking out-loud....

If you'd have an easy way to get it back out, use a chamber insert ( similar to those used to fire smaller cases in larger chambers of the same calibre.

Your M336 .35 Rem stays a M336 .35Rem, and shorter cartridges would be supported at the front; somewhat akin to a revolver chamber. It might help a bit with bullet " jump " to the rifling. The insert's inner and outer dimensions/specs would need to be fine-tuned. You'd have to try it to know fer sher.

With lower pressure loads and not a whole ton of fired rounds likely, I can't see throat errosion as being any potential problem.

Time for my medication !

Regards,
357Mag

scb
09-24-2011, 01:18 PM
As I stated I'm not worried about getting a ticket, I'm a lawyer. The prosecutor had the burden of proof of establishing that the cartridge case was over 1.8" all I have to do is raise the defense that the case was >1.8. I love going to court when I know I'm going to win.

You guys are getting off point here. I really don't want to re-barrel anything especially for a wildcat when these regs have changed twice now in 3 years.

Will I have issues running shortened cases in a dead stock 336c with standard reloading data?

OK if you take care of the other "problems" . The neck on a 357 SIG is .15" long and it seems to work fine. I personally don't think I'd go any shorter than that and certainly keep it as long a possible. What I would do is get one made up, without a primer or powder and send it to Lee and have them make a custom "Factory Crimp" die as you won't be able to crimp with standard dies http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Factory-Crimp-Die/ (see asterix below list of available calibers). Unless your going to shoot this a LOT I wouldn't be too concerned about erosion caused by the short brass. You will certainly loose some case capacity so I wouldn't rely solely on published 35 Rem data. This is where an internal ballistics program comes in really handy. I use "Loads From a Disk" http://www.loadammo.com/ Another $.02
BTW the neck on the 300 Savage is .220" long.

GabbyM
09-24-2011, 02:51 PM
1.8" would shoot with no problem. the neck tension may cost you a tad of accuracy but that's not a given. What has us confused some of is the rule states a max length of 1.625" not 1.8". If you cut a 35 REM to that you've cut the neck down to .041".

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet
of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a
minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and
have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches
are legal to use only during the deer firearm
season. Some cartridges legal for deer
hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40
Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44
Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester,
.45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475
Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express,
and .500 S&W.

gnoahhh
09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I would just buy myself a .45 Colt, .44 Mag, or .44/40 lever gun and set about killing a pickup full of deer.

G. Blessing
09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I would just buy myself a .45 Colt, .44 Mag, or .44/40 lever gun and set about killing a pickup full of deer.

Ditto. to be legal, anyway.

I'm all for wild cats, or working with what you have, but.... seems alot of work, when this would be a great 'I need another gun!' excuse.

Dunno.

To be super honest, personally(IE,I am NOT recamending you do this...), I'd be reeeeaaaally tempted to just hunt with the .35rem and be done with it. What are the odds of actually meeting a DNR man in the field anyway? Meh. Probably wouldn't. but really... how many hoops should we have to jump through?

blaster
09-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Start Date: 9/21/2011
End Date: 9/21/2011
Entry Description
INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Natural Resources Commission on Tuesday approved a package of changes to deer hunting rules that will go into effect in the 2012 season.

None of the changes will be in effect this year.

The final adoption vote came after preliminary approval by the NRC in January and a six-month public comment period that included hundreds of written comments and two public hearings.

The rule changes include creating a crossbow license and authorizing its use during the entire archery season; extending the archery season without interruption from Oct. 1 through the first Sunday in January; extending the urban zone season from Sept. 15 through Jan. 31; requiring hunters in urban zones to harvest an antlerless deer before harvesting and antlered deer; establishing a special antlerless season from Dec. 26 through the first Sunday in January in designated counties; adding the non-resident youth licenses and a new deer license bundles; requiring display of hunter orange on occupied ground blinds; and extending the rifle cartridge length that can be used in the firearm season to 1.8 inches.

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=38573&information_id=77313&type=&syndicate=syndicate

scb
09-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Now I've gone to the link you provided. And it says what you have above "rifle cartridge length that can be used in the firearm season to 1.8 inches". Unless the legal definition of a cartridge in Indiana is different than what most of us except it as, the 1.8" INCLUDES the bullet. It dosen't say cartridge case.

blaster
09-24-2011, 09:16 PM
This is a news dispatch, Not the revision of the Indiana Administrative Code as adopted.

312 IAC 9-3-3 as effective next year reads as follows:
"(4) A rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:
(A) Fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths (.357) of an inch diameter or larger.
(B) Have a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches.
(C) Have a maximum case length of one and eight tenths (1.8) inches"

GabbyM
09-24-2011, 11:54 PM
"(4) A rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:"

That says the rifle and nothing about what cases you happen to have in your pocket or in the rifle.

perhaps you could stamp the barrel with a modified caliber? Stamp SHORT after 35 REM . But if they decide to drop a 35 REM case in there and it closes you're hosed. Simple fact is a 35 REM chamber has a maximum case length of 1.920". The 460 S&W mag has a case length of , you guessed it, 1.800".

What are the chances they will change that wording before it's final?

357Mag
09-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Blaster -

Howdy !

After work today, I had the opportunity to get out some .35Rem brass; and my new vernier calipers.

Let's run a .35Rem wildcatting" drill ".....

Figuring backwards.....

- You'd have to re-form the brass ( shoulder shove ) some how, and I suggest use of a .358Win FL die' with internals removed. This gives you the case's neck length. That would be some .365", or.... a " one-calibre " neck.

- Indiana allows case oal of 1.625", an apparent concession to use of .500 S & W.
Backing off from that spec to provide a " cushion " for some picky compliance officer, the max case lg would be 1.620"; say.

- Looking at a .35 Rem case 2-dimensional drawing in profile view, virtually all the neck would be taken off the case, if cases forming would start that way.
But it won't start like that. Just leave the .35 cal case .35 cal, and it will form that way as the case' shoulders get shoved back in the .358Win die.
But... shove the shoulder to what point ?

- Looking at how the new case dimension will stack-up...
1.620" minus the .358 Win-spec .365" neck Lg and .045" shoulder " length
( in side view ); renders a 1.210'" figure.
1.210" minus the .200" dimension of the rim and extractor cut on a .35 Rem case' leaves us with a base-to-shoulder dimension of 1.010" .
That is approx .064" less than the same dimension for a 6PPC case, albeit
.35 Rem brass has a larger base diameter.

- What does the 1.620" case oal tell us ??
Well, compare to the stubby 1.285" .35 Rem-derived wildcat case I previously mentioned.....
- the 1.285" case + a Rem .35 calibre 150PSP seated to top of cannelure, gave a final cartridge oal of 1.870". THAT tells us a longish/pointy .35 cal bullet won't work in a 1.620" long case; as the 1.800" max cartridge length would be exceeded. * In-order to avoid having to seat bullets beneath the case neck....bullets would have to have truncated cone shaped noses, or wide/flat points; etc. Something like a .357" calibre 180gr Sierra.

- Compared to a .357AutoMag case, the new stubby .35 Rem-derived case we're talking about would hold LESS powder. My .357AutoMag-chambered carbine shot 24gr WW296 and Magnum primers under Sierra or Hornady .357 180s
superbly ! The new .35 wildcat case would hold/shoot less powder than the
.357AutoMag.

- If fired in a stock .35 Rem chamber, the new .35 cal wildcat's shoulder and neck pretty much lie exactly in space immediately beneath the rifle chamber's shoulder, that is... in a section of chamber where the side-walls normally would have contained the upper portion of a stock .35 Rem case' . Say WHAT ?!?
....The new wildcat's shoulder would " blow-out " to conform to the sidewalls of the rifle's chamber. The wildcat's nominal .380" OD neck would blow-out to fit the chamber's upper section of straight-tapered side wall. This DOE NOT mean that fired cases could not be extracted after firing.

- Also of note..... even .35 cal wildcat cartridges close to max allowed 1.800" lg
would feature seated bullets that.... of necessity... would have to "jump" to the rifling; because of the 1.800" celing on cartirdge oal. The "net effect " on accuracy, would need to be tested.

With regards,
357Mag

Uncle Grinch
09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
How about a short 35 Remington using a 7.62x39 case?
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155/tekwerk/35ARem.jpg

7.62 through a trimmed 35 Rem die, Fire formed 35 ARem w/Hornady 180 SSP, 300 Blackout
OAL is 2.150" right now, still doing some load development.

Now this looks very interesting.....

izzyjoe
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
i guess i'm missing something here, but what's wrong with a .357 mag. or .357 max. if you feel under gunned with those, you could buy a rossi in 480 S&W. but if you just need Something to do with time, sky's the limit! cause you know for every law there is a loop hole. :neutral:

SCOTT ARTHUR
09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
What blaster, myself & others here in Hoosierland are trying to do is make the .35 Rem. cartridge legal in Indiana by trimming the case to a little less than 1.8 in. in length. I'm having good luck ( so far) using H4895 & the TLC 359 - 190 RD boolit at a COAL of 2.30. Functions fine thru my Marlin 336. I will get real serious latter this fall when it cools down & my vacation kicks in.

Scott

357Mag
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Scott A.

Howdy -

' Been following this post, and want to re-ask the question:

Is the 1.800" length Indiana regs mention JUST for the brass, or....
is it for the loaded cartirdge oal ?

IF it's the latter, simple case trim won't " cut it ".

I believe from reading the previous entries, that BOTH positions/views have been stated.

IF I might then ask ( again )...... which way is it ?!

With regards,
.357Mag

Baron von Trollwhack
09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
The 35 on the 7.62 X 39 case will work through a short SAKO action. I tried it years ago. No reason , maybe , it wouldn't work in the CZ 527. My SAKO 7.62 custom is a deer killer. I think bullet quality in 30 caliber would make up for bullet diameter on deer shooting.

BvT

white eagle
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
just grab a rifle and go

SCOTT ARTHUR
09-29-2011, 02:25 AM
357Mag,

The 1.80 inch length is for the BRASS only. As crazy as it sounds, a person could load up a 250gr. J-word bullet or a itty bitty collar button boolit in 1.8 brass & still be legal!

Scott

357Mag
09-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Scott -

Thanx for the info update.

Well heck, if it's 1.800" case oal, IMHO a fore-shortened ( neck trimmed )
.35 Rem should be workable.

- You'd have bullet jump to the rifling

- You might have a sooty neck on case/chamber ( but not many rounds will
be fired in the field ).

A Sierra bullet tech once told me, that as a general guideline..... .125" of bullet in the neck was/is considered the minimum practical amount.
He did not specify or qualify his statement by calibre. I know I often have pushed the .125" minimum rule, and have always had satisfactory outcomes from those rifles/loads.

With regards,
357Mag

Bret4207
09-29-2011, 07:47 AM
So what are you gonna do if the Game Dept uses the SAAMI standards and see's through your attempt to skirt the law? I understand what you're trying to do and I think the law itself banning rifles for deer is kinda dumb, but I've seen people try to get around the law be coming up with some technicality and it almost always backfires on them.

SCOTT ARTHUR
09-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Brett4207,
If I go to the woods with SAMMI spec ammo for the 35 Rem., I WOULD BE BREAKING THE LAW!!! As long as the BRASS is trimmed to the STATES specs., it's legal. I know it sounds crazy, but this is not ''skirtting'' the law...it IS the law.

357MAG,
Not much boolit jump at all. My 336 has a short throat, so the RD boolit seated at the base of the neck BARELY touches the rifling.

Scott

Suo Gan
09-30-2011, 01:24 AM
and extending the rifle cartridge length that can be used in the firearm season to 1.8 inches.

Forget the 35 Rem, I would seek out a good used 44 mag rifle it will do what you want and then some, if you already have a 35 Rem 336, I would sell it off and get a 44 mag 1894. What an asinine rule to contend with. Heed Brets advice on this and don't get your tit in the legal wringer.

excess650
09-30-2011, 07:31 AM
BVT,
I HAVE a CZ-527 in 7.62x39 and it is incredibly accurate. Yes, it could be rebarreled, but the original poster doesn't want to go to any expense to be legal or practical.

SG,
The OP is a lawyer, so doesn't care if he is called for using short brass in a SAMMI chamber.

Ed in North Texas
09-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Ditto. to be legal, anyway.

I'm all for wild cats, or working with what you have, but.... seems alot of work, when this would be a great 'I need another gun!' excuse.

Dunno.

To be super honest, personally(IE,I am NOT recamending you do this...), I'd be reeeeaaaally tempted to just hunt with the .35rem and be done with it. What are the odds of actually meeting a DNR man in the field anyway? Meh. Probably wouldn't. but really... how many hoops should we have to jump through?

Regarding the excuse for another rifle, I'm with you on that. But we have to recognize that not everyone has the spare cash these days, or a sufficiently understanding wife (or significant other).

I would not, in any way, contemplate just shooting .35 Remington and taking my chances. Yes, the odds of meeting a Warden in the field are slim. But it can happen. And if it happens, it can be really, really costly these days. Buying a new rifle would be cheap compared to the fines and seizures which can be levied against a game law violator.

Just my $0.02 USD.

Ed

Bret4207
09-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Brett4207,
If I go to the woods with SAMMI spec ammo for the 35 Rem., I WOULD BE BREAKING THE LAW!!! As long as the BRASS is trimmed to the STATES specs., it's legal. I know it sounds crazy, but this is not ''skirtting'' the law...it IS the law.

Scott

Scott, if you really want to try this then I would suggest you contact the Fish and Game people, present exactly what you want to do, find out exactly how they measure the cases and what the tolerance on their field measuring instruments are and get the names of anyone who tells you you are okay doing this.

I'm not trying offend you, but what you are doing reminds me of the people who try to skirt NYS law against daggers by saying that although it's double edged ( the definition of a dagger) only one edge is sharp! Using your interpretation of a law and the technical way around it depends, among other things, the Game Wardens measuring instrument being set very close to yours. It also depends on what standards they are using for case measurement. If they are using SAAMI specs as a guide, you're gonna get arrested. They may not measure the actual case you are using at all. They may be aware of varying case lengths and choose to go with the standard for the case. Without knowing EXACTLY how they are figuring this you are leaving yourself open.

Again, no offense, but I spent over 20 years seeing people trying to bend the law to fit their wants based on their opinion and interpretation and arresting them when they fell on their face. It's just not a good idea.

Dutch4122
09-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Hmm, lets see, he's carrying a rifle that is stamped ".35 Remington" on the barrel; and the cartridge case head says ".35 Rem" and "RP." Looks to me like he's hunting with an illegal caliber. No, I don't have a set of calipers in my cruiser; and no we don't have any back at the station, either. So, you get issued a citation; and the gun and ammo get siezed as evidence.

Now, if you are able to represent yourself (for free I might add) and not pay a lawyer hundreds or thousands of dollars to get yourself out of this mess; I guess it's not that big of a deal. But, for most hunters it is a big deal. Just not worth the headache in my humble opinion.

I'm with the others, get a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum levergun and hunt with the appropriate headstamped ammunition.

357Mag
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Scott A. -

Good news about the little jump to rifling, that you mentioned.

I was just thinking recently, that a long .35 might just make up the difference
( or most of it ) between a notional 1.800" trimmed-back .35 Rem case; and a stock 1.920" case.

I understand the Game Warden ( DNR ) officer comments. I've twice been asked to open my trunk, when shooting groundhogs in NE Indiana.
Heck... those don't even have a season ! I was shooting ( in both instances ) fairly close to " city limits ".

These DNR guys have hours of boredom, with brief moments of intense excitement . So, they are often just looking for something to do.

With regards,
357Mag

GabbyM
10-01-2011, 12:12 AM
The old law I clipped and posted in #18 here clearly stated rifles that fire a cartridge with a case length of X Y. Don’t’ know what the final draft of a new law will read like but to my untrained eye a “rifle that fires” means just that. Will matter not what length you have your cases trimmed to. I see absolutely no confusion on that point.

Prosecutor would simply need a dummy 35 Rem round to show the judge how it drops right into your rifle. After that your fancy argument is nothing but an old Pat and Mike joke.

357maximum
10-01-2011, 12:48 AM
The real simple solution for you:

357Maximum encore carbine/rifle

35remington performance in a legal format.............tadaaaaaa:Fire:

SCOTT ARTHUR
10-01-2011, 01:08 AM
ummm... I think some of you are missing the point here. It dosn't matter what the gun is chambered for, as long as your AMMO is legal. In my case, as long as all the 35 Rem. ammo on my person while hunting next fall has a BRASS length of 1.8 in. or less it dosn't matter what is stamped on my rifle. It's all about the brass length & a .357 min. dia. projectile.

Scott

Suo Gan
10-01-2011, 01:08 AM
BVT,
I HAVE a CZ-527 in 7.62x39 and it is incredibly accurate. Yes, it could be rebarreled, but the original poster doesn't want to go to any expense to be legal or practical.

SG,
The OP is a lawyer, so doesn't care if he is called for using short brass in a SAMMI chamber.

That might make a difference! I would still go for a 44 mag and not the hassle.

Bret4207
10-01-2011, 08:20 AM
ummm... I think some of you are missing the point here. It dosn't matter what the gun is chambered for, as long as your AMMO is legal. In my case, as long as all the 35 Rem. ammo on my person while hunting next fall has a BRASS length of 1.8 in. or less it dosn't matter what is stamped on my rifle. It's all about the brass length & a .357 min. dia. projectile.

Scott

Scott, do what you want. Best put a lawyer on retainer now.

SCOTT ARTHUR
10-02-2011, 12:22 AM
LOL! I'll keep that in mind ;)

Scott

bearcove
10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Only problem I can see is getting a crimp. Its needed in a tube mag.

Just take a size die to a machine shop and have them ream it out so you can crimp. Also might need to cut some off the bottom so the shell holder doesn't hit.

mroliver77
10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I want a levergun in .357 max. Oh, and I also want Ohios deer hunting laws changed!
J

bearcove
10-03-2011, 11:04 PM
I just use an -06 here.

SCOTT ARTHUR
10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I cut down a 35 Rem. Lee FCD die. It crimps the shorter brass just fine!

Scott

357Mag
10-04-2011, 08:46 PM
HMC -

Please check your PM's.

Thanx,
357Mag