PDA

View Full Version : Big Blast, Bullet Stuck in the Barrel

Silver Jack Hammer
09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
My load was missing a powder charge, just a primer and the Ruger SBH just went "pop" instead of the blast 22 gr of 2400 would launch a 240 gr semi jacketed bullet. I waited the 10 seconds for a possible hang fire which did not come, and cocked back the hammer for another shot. You know what? That primer drove that jacketed bullet into the barrel! The next shot was like a double recoil! Heaven watches out over fools and kids. It was 1978 and I was a college student and didn't have 2 dimes to rub together. I don't know how that SBH held together. There was not the slightest bulge of the barrel, I slugged the bore and mic'ed the outside. I was using the Lee loader in my college dorm room. I had a coffee can full of wheelweights but had not casted yet.

tek4260
09-22-2011, 07:27 AM
I always heard it said as "God watches over fools and drunks" since neither ever seem to get hurt when you would think they would.

Bet if you ever get another "pop" you'll be snatching the cylinder and checking things before proceeding :)

btroj
09-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Never, ever, shoot another round before checking the barrel if you get just a pop or a "strange" sounding load. This is something that should be part of reloading 101.

You are very fortunate to not have a ring in the barrel or a potentially more seriously damaged gun. Or a damaged YOU.

44man
09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Primers have a lot of force and anytime something sounds or feels off, STOP and unload, then inspect the bore.
Another thing to never do is mix ammo. I learned the hard way long ago. Someone gave me a bunch of factory .38 Specials, I also had my .357 loads so I filled my pockets with both just to have some plinking fun. The difference in noise and recoil will mask a problem. I had one of the .38's stick at the muzzle and the next shot split the bottom of the muzzle.
It turns out the factory loads used a powder that was position sensitive, since I was shooting down, it had no power being at the boolit base.

white eagle
09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
lucky for sure

Char-Gar
09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
btroj is 100% dead on correct.

God does not look out for fools anymore than anybody else. Some fools are just more lucky than others. I would not rely on divine protection to replace safe reloading and gun handling practices.

Shooter6br
09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
After bulging two 45 ACP barrels I stop and check ANY odd noise or lack of recoil. I also visually check each round i load on my turret press. " What I dont learn doing once I learn doing twice" Or maybe more LOL

Heavy lead
09-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Never, ever, shoot another round before checking the barrel if you get just a pop or a "strange" sounding load. This is something that should be part of reloading 101.

You are very fortunate to not have a ring in the barrel or a potentially more seriously damaged gun. Or a damaged YOU.

Agree, but it should be shooting 101, I've had squibs with factory rounds as well.

ReloaderFred
09-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Come on guys, he did this in 1978, not today. He's just relating the story from his past so others will be aware that it can happen. The cautions are warranted, but not in the urgent way they're presented.

I shot in a match last weekend where there were several squib loads. All shooters were either stopped by the timer operator or they stopped themselves. Due diligence is the operative word when shooting.

Hope this helps.

Fred

x101airborne
09-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Thank you for the cautionary tale. Talk about factory rounds giving trouble, my dad tried some of that blazer aluminum case ammo in a browning belgian high power. I was 14 shooting with him and the round felt funny going into the chamber. My dad stopped me and when we tried to eject the round, the boolit stayed in the barrel, the case came out, and powder dumped in the action. No more aluminum ammo for us. Imagine what could have happened had we fired that round.

Jim
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Many years ago, I was several stations away from a guy shooting a big bore revolver. No clue what it was. He was shooting pretty fast. After several cylinders, I heard 'bang, bang, bang, pop, BOOM!' He was shooting too fast to realize a round squibbed and stop before he pulled the trigger on the next one. He blew up his gun.

Char-Gar
09-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Come on guys, he did this in 1978, not today. He's just relating the story from his past so others will be aware that it can happen. The cautions are warranted, but not in the urgent way they're presented.

I shot in a match last weekend where there were several squib loads. All shooters were either stopped by the timer operator or they stopped themselves. Due diligence is the operative word when shooting.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Tis true it happened many moons ago. Tis also true he was trying to help others not do the same thing. As such the post is laudable in nature. However in posting that experience, nobody should not expect others not to jump in and assist in the learning process for newer reloaders. The others posters were trying to assist in the intention of the original post.

In the case of my post, I responded to the use of God in the OP. There is a sensor in my head that goes off when He is injected into a conversation. I feel it is imperative to mention God with great respect and a proper understanding of how He deals with us frail humans. When I see folks mention God in such a way that misrepresents His nature, I WILL step in to try and correct the perspective. It was probably not meant to be taken in a literal sense, but you never know what somebody else reading the comment will take away from it. I am just funny that way, and don't intend to change.

Hardcast416taylor
09-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Saw a friend bulge the barrel so bad on his AMT longslide .45 that he just sent the whole thing back to AMT. They replaced the entire top of the pistol at no cost. The shells he was shooting were 230 gr. cast and loaded by a friend of his father. Upon inspection we discovered several more with either no powder or just a few grains.

An aquientence of mine had bought a case of PMC match ammo. Part way thru the first 50 round box there was a curious sounding BANG! Gas and brass particles filled the gun in his hand. He had a rough time finally getting the slide open. Seems as though there was no flash hole for the primer flame to pass thru to ignite the powder! Between he and his attorney he got PMC to thoroughly rehab his Gold Cup Colt and reimburse him for the case of ammo - they wanted it back. He also got monetary compensation of an undisclosed amount.Robert

btroj
09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Agree, but it should be shooting 101, I've had squibs with factory rounds as well.

You are quite correct. This should be one of the first lessons learned.

Makes me remember a guy who teaches Hunter Ed around here. He brings a shotgun to one of the classes and has students demonstrate safe handling. He brings some dummy shells too. Some poor kid always fails to notice that on of the shells is a 20 gauge and it is a 12 gauge gun. Point he is making that it is the job of the shooter to pay attention to the ammo and gun. Lesson is learned quite well- just because someone gives you a gun and ammo it doesn't mean you are off the hook.

oldgeezershooter
09-24-2011, 01:41 AM
When I first started shooting my 45-70, I used book loads with 2400 and got a couple of squibs right off. Then a friend explained there wasn't enough powder and it was lying on the bottom of the case.
I started using powders that fill or nearly fill the case.
Anyone else have this problem?

fatelk
09-24-2011, 02:32 AM
I just talked to a friend a week or so ago, who said he was out shooting his brand new XD .45. He was shooting factory Winchester ammo, and one round just made a funny sounding click.

As he was telling me the story I knew exactly where it was heading. He pulled back the slide to find an empty shell, which he tossed over his shoulder into the weeds, then took aim and started squeezing the trigger for the next shot.

His shooting buddy is apparently more experienced, because he stopped him before he could fire and blow up his gun.

Winchester wants the rest of the unfired ammo, the bullet from the barrel, and the brass, but he already threw away the brass (he doesn't reload and I can't seem to talk him into saving his brass for me:() I'm curious to see what comes of it.

I told him he owes his buddy a steak dinner at least.

btroj
09-24-2011, 07:24 AM
When I first started shooting my 45-70, I used book loads with 2400 and got a couple of squibs right off. Then a friend explained there wasn't enough powder and it was lying on the bottom of the case.
I started using powders that fill or nearly fill the case.
Anyone else have this problem?

How much 2400 were you using? I have used lots of 2400 in 35-70 with no problems. I frequently use 24 gr with a 420 gr cast, never an issue. This is what people mean when speaking of a powder being position sensitive in a load.

As for the powder "laying" in the case, that is exactly what it does. Doesn't matter with some powders in some cases. That is the reason some use a filler, not to "fill" space as much as to hold the powder against the primer.