PDA

View Full Version : Sporterized 1903 needs a lighter trigger

DanWalker
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Can anyone here direct me to an outfit that sells aftermarket adjustable triggers for 03's?
Does such a thing exist?
Thanks,
Dan

DCM
09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Huber Concepts http://www.huberconcepts.com/Triggers.htm

not sure about adjustable but he has some great stuff.

Gtek
09-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Brownells, Midway, I have Timney's in several of my sporters. Requires opening the trigger area in guard a little- short work with nice file. Huber is direct replacement, whatever floats your boat. If you go Timney please read safety instructions, great trigger but you need to check sear engagement really well. -Gtek

09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I installed a Timney in my '03-A3 sporter (Bishop stock).

Char-Gar
09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Timmy, Dayton-Traister and Huber. I have a Timmy in my 03 and Mauser sporters and like them just fine. I have used a couple of dozen more over the years. I have a Huber in my Krag sporter and it does a good job.

The military issue 03/03A3 trigger can be worked on to give a very decent trigger pull, but if you don't know your way around triggers, best to leave it alone.

09-22-2011, 08:01 PM
". . . but if you don't know your way around triggers, best to leave it alone."

Excellent advice, sir, and is why I installed the Timney.

Have one in my M96 Swede, also, but it required a lot of wood removal.

thebigmac
09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I have Timney triggers in all my military rifles. I chose them over Huber
just 'cause other shooters recomend them...Long ago before they got so
expensive. Never looked back since. They make shooting much more
enjoyable...bigmac

flounderman
09-22-2011, 09:36 PM
boyds did make triggers. don't know if springfield was one of them. better price than most.

gnoahhh
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
A competent smith should be able to smooth up the sear surfaces giving you a cleaner second stage pull. The thing you don't want to do with a two stage military trigger is remove the first stage. That usually results in scary minimal sear engagement. Personally, I've been shooting rifles with two stage pulls for so long that it's second nature to automatically take up the first stage without thinking about it, while getting my breathing/sight picture under control. I never understood why so many guys bad mouth them without learning to use them, but that's just me. The military used two stage pulls for a reason- it gives a further measure of safety due to the extra amount of sear engagement.

09-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I didn't change to the Timney's because I don't like two-stage triggers, I did so because I wanted lighter and adjustable triggers. I own four other rifles that have two-stage triggers and I plan on keeping them that way.

gnoahhh
09-24-2011, 11:53 AM
That's a plenty good enough reason to switch! My comments weren't directed at you necessarily, but at the multitude of guys who categorically dismiss 2-stage pulls as worthless, without learning to work them. I have profited from that attitude. An example is a M1920 Savage that the owner sold to me for a song because he was appalled by it's 2-stage pull.

Char-Gar
09-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I also agree there is nothing wrong with two stage triggers. There are ways to remove that first stage, but I don't like to do it.

The second stage pull weight on an 03A3/03 can be lightened by reducing the height of the cocking piece engagement surface. I have one so reduced to give a crisp pull of 2 lbs.

When I take a military 03/03A3 to the bench rest, I remove the military cocking piece/firing pin and spring and replace the entire assembly with my target assembly. When I am done at the range, I pull the modified one and replace it with the mil-spec. I do this before I take the rifle off the bench. I would not carry the rifle with the modified cocking piece into the field.

gnoahhh
09-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Is the decrease in lock time noticeable? I've toyed with the idea of doing that but never got around to it.

I picked up an '03 once, Special Target (ex- NM returned to service as an interservice comp rifle) w/ star gauge barrel, that someone had ground the first stage hump off of the trigger and "worked on" the sear engagement, and shortened the trigger spring. The darn thing would sometimes drop the striker when closing the bolt! A new striker and trigger assembly put things right.

Char-Gar
09-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I don't think there is any increase in lock time, just a lighter trigger release. I have used heavier firing pin springs to increase lock time, but the bolt lift gets very heavy and I didn't notice any increase in accuracy.

I have played with titanium firing pins in Mausers to increase lock time, but gave that up also.

When I have my target striker assemble in, a sharp rap on the rear receiver ring, will cause it to drop. That is why I don't take it off the bench.

09-24-2011, 05:06 PM
That's a plenty good enough reason to switch! My comments weren't directed at you necessarily, but at the multitude of guys who categorically dismiss 2-stage pulls as worthless, without learning to work them. I have profited from that attitude. An example is a M1920 Savage that the owner sold to me for a song because he was appalled by it's 2-stage pull.

Understood.