PDA

View Full Version : Poolside in Phoenix, Cleaning my Guns

Mal Paso
09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Spent the morning at Ben Avery Shooting Facility. Great people! Saw the slickest brass catcher for the AR platform. That's it! I'm building an AR! Spent yesterday morning at Shooter's World. Looks like a health club. Air Conditioned, Filtered, well lit lanes. Nicest indoor range I've been to but Scottsdale Gun Club is on the List so we'll see. I made the big Cabelas Sale last weekend and thanks to Jim in Phoenix, found Randall's and Sportsmans Wharehouse. I'm going to try to get to Dillon tomorrow and maybe another range East of town that a fellow shooter reccomended today. There's a Bass Pro Shop over there too, Looks to be as big as Cabelas. It just dosn't get much better.

Cheers

3006guns
09-21-2011, 10:10 PM
If that brass catcher is like the one my son put on his AR build, with a nylon mesh bag.......they melt to the brass! He found it was better to leave the zipper on the bottom open and the brass landed in a nice pile at his feet.

GRUMPA
09-21-2011, 10:17 PM
MAL,

You gota be way different than I was when I lived their. With all the wide open spots around their I NEVER found a good enough reason to go to that range. Sure I drove by it every weekend on my way to the lake but holy cow, just past the range, left turn, right turn, didn't matter, shoot to your hearts content.

Mal Paso
09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Hey, I'm a tourist this week. $18 to shoot Air Conditioned, a few blocks from the house is cheaper than most vacations. How much is Disneyland now? And they don't allow guns. They don't even shoot the Hippo on the African ride anymore. Plus they have ignored all my suggestions like: "It's a Small World" with Shotguns.

The brass Catcher was from E&L Mfg. in Oregon. Looked like it was fabricated from 1/8 plastic sheet and clipped over the ejection port. The owner said they have a lifetime warrenty and customer service like RCBS.

Still having Too Much Fun!

EDIT:1. I posted mostly because if I'm missing something, I'm sure one of you will share. 2. The ranges are great places to meet good people and see new ideas. You can't buy that, but you can support the places where people gather. It's my Starbucks, yea I can get coffee cheaper....and usualy do....but.........

Lizard333
09-22-2011, 11:49 AM
In case you didn't notice, Bass Pro has a shooting range as well. My parents and in laws both have memberships to Scottsdall gun club. I must admit when its a 107 outside, its nice to shoot in the airconditioning. Ben Avery is the place I learned to shoot. This time of year thh only time to go and enjoy yourself is to get there early in the morning and shoot before it becomes an inferno. Glad your enjoying yourself. Make sure to ask for a tour while your there at Dillon's. Well worth the time!!

Mal Paso
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I did ask for the tour at Dillon and it was great. There were 2 of us and we got to see every production line but the Government one and ask any question. It was cool to see the machines apart and see the quality details. Like grease grooves on a shaft. We got to see some of the machines sent back. One they think was used for a saltwater boat anchor. What a shame.

The showroom was great. The gal told me to try the machines out and assemble a few rounds. I like the 650B. It's not that much money for a quality American product. I got to meet most of the people who build them.

Dillon sect me to Bear Arms where I founa a Galco holster to fit my Anaconda and would have taken home a milsurp rifle but California..............

Hang Fire
09-22-2011, 06:53 PM
MAL,

You gota be way different than I was when I lived their. With all the wide open spots around their I NEVER found a good enough reason to go to that range. Sure I drove by it every weekend on my way to the lake but holy cow, just past the range, left turn, right turn, didn't matter, shoot to your hearts content.

Ditto here to. Lived there in mid 1960s, they had just started the Ben Avery range, but never got there. Sad to go to Phoenix area now, where we used to deer hunt out by White Tanks is all wall to wall housing.

Have lived here on the Colorado River for past 20 years, and consider myself so lucky.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/Photo_Gallery.html

Aunegl
09-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I used to shoot silhouettes at Black Canyon Shooting Range in the eighties. I think the range was renamed Ben Avery in the early ninties. I remember those warm summer days in the triple digits, carrying a three gallon water cooler and my shooting gear to range.

frkelly74
09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=Mal Paso;1404771]Hey, I'm a tourist this week. $18 to shoot Air Conditioned, a few blocks from the house is cheaper than most vacations. How much is Disneyland now? And they don't allow guns. They don't even shoot the Hippo on the African ride anymore. Plus they have ignored all my suggestions like: "It's a Small World" with Shotguns.

My attention was grabbed by the comment on the shooting of the hippos. Last spring we were on the ride and the girl "running " the boat and doing her best Rosie impression just held up the gun on its tether and said look out you hippos , I have a gun and that saved us thank God.

armoredman
10-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Have never made it to Ben Avery, Scottsdale Gun Club or Shooters World, lived here my whole life. Love the free range down here in Casa Grande, nice unmonitored range with 2 25 yard pistol bays, 100 yard range without benches, 300 yard range and 75 yard range. All are covered, and all except the 100 yard range have a concrete pad wih benches - provide your own chair/seat/target stand. Porta potty only, sorry, too far off the beaten path for plumbing...yet.
I hear Ben Avery is nice, and if you like BIG ranges, make a trip to Tucson Rifle Club down by Three Points sometime. Worked there for a while, range is over a mile wide, and has a very nice 1000 yard range.
I see your handle says Cali, if you just moved here, welcome to Free AZ!

Ole
10-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Pistol Parlor in Mesa is a nice, small gun shop. I've bought a lot of stuff in there over the years.