PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 Front Sight Height

AkMike
09-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Ruger #1 H 458WM. Does anyone have one around that they could measure the stock height, base to top? I want to get one of those fancy red day glow ones from NECG but mine is MIA.
Thanks

Tatume
09-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Hi Mike,

First, I recommend the front sight sold by XS Sights. It has a white bar on the face, is very easy to see, and they come in a multitude of heights in 0.050" increments. They are made for Ruger No. 1 rifles that have the plunger on the rear of the sight (I've never seen one any other way).

Second, they give you a "test post," which is a plastic front sight that is perforated every 0.050" so you can easily clip it and regulate it for your gun and load. Then you just measure the total length of the test post and they send you the correct front sight.

The way they work the logistics is: you buy the sight. Do not mount the sight. Cut and measure the test post. Call them. They will promptly mail the correct-height front sight to you, and will include a postage-paid mailer. You return the front sight you purchased in the mailer.

They are great to work with, prompt in their actions, and the products are excellent.

Take care, Tom

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Sorry I can't help with the front sight info, but sounds like good info in the last post.

However, have you shot that bad boy with irons???????

My #1s kicked the snot out of my face when I tried the irons on that 45/70.

No problem or pain with the scope, but OUCH really bad news with the irons!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

AkMike
09-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks for that tip Tom. The only glitch it that dayglow sight I want is by NECG. But I'll check them out and see what they offer.
This 'Bad Boy' has been rechambered to 450 NE. I'm going to fill the stock with lead to get some weight into it. I may toss the scope on bit it'll probably wear a FastFireII red dot.

Tatume
10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Mike,

Did you resolve your front sight question? I was digging around in my sight-parts box and found a test post for the Ruger No. 1. If you want to send me your mailing address I'll mail it to you. Just clip it one segment at a time until your point of impact is correct, remove it and measure from top to bottom. That's the hight of the sight you want to order (any brand).

Take care, Tom

AkMike
10-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Spasibo Bolshoe

Look for a PM..

Tatume
10-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Spasibo Bolshoe

You're very welcome.

bearcove
10-08-2011, 05:15 PM
OK I need a translator. Spasibo Blolshoe?

AkMike
10-08-2011, 05:36 PM
'Big Thanks' in russian language. спасибо большое (Since I'm so close to Wasilla,Ak and everyone knows you can see Russia from there..) ;):kidding:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Don't know about you Bearcove, but I am not closer to understanding now then I was before.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bearcove
10-08-2011, 10:47 PM
I could only see trees from my house, when I lived there.