PDA

View Full Version : 1853 Enfield or 1861 Springfield

duke76
09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
I am thinking about getting a Civil War period gun and kinda tossing these two around, I have shot an Enfield but not a Springfield, just wandering what you guys think, mostly just target shooting for fun, no reenactments or anything like that just hoping you guys can help me decide with the pros and cons of each and who has the best prices, Thanks Todd

jonk
09-20-2011, 08:41 PM
1858 Parker Hale Enfield would be my suggestion. The thicker barrel and particular rifling twist has won many competitions. If between those two, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I know in the past the twist rates of the various reproduction guns have been all over the map- ranging from 70"+ to 48". I wouldn't overlook any of the rifled muskets- short or long, two band or three band including the Enfields, Springfields, Zouaves, etc. I'd pick what I liked best with the basic quality of piece being a high priority. Any of them can be picky as to what load combination works best. Usually with these type guns it hard to beat relatively light loads of real black powder with an appropriate minie or patched roundball.

ResearchPress
09-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Have at look at the sights. The P.53 and I think the Springfield have rearsights close to the eye, which may not suit some. The Short Rifles (such as the P.58) have rearsights further forwards and may give a better sight picture. Also consider the stock shape and how you will be shooting. Enfields are straight and the Springfields I think have more drop. Short range offhand may not favour the Enfield (I get on fine with mine though). Longer range prone shooting may be better with a straight stock (here in the UK we shoot Enfields to 800 yards).

David

NickSS
09-21-2011, 06:20 AM
I have several RM and rifles and have this to say about the two you are asking about. They both weigh in about the same and handle the same. The Enfield 1853 has a straighter stock (less drop of the comb) than the Springfield. The Enfield has a ladder sight and the Springfield a two blade flip L sight. Other than the shape of the stock there is little real difference between the two. I have also an 1861 Special Model which is somewhat like both. It has Springfield sights and Enfield shaped stock. For a shooter I would recommend either the 1858 short rifle Enfield or the Artilery Musketoon. They are much more handy to carry and shoot and you loose little or no power.

Hellgate
09-21-2011, 01:20 PM
NickSS said it for me. I have a Zouave, "Buffalo Hunter", Hawken, & a Musketoon all in 58 caliber. The 'Toon is my favorite hunting rifle for ML seasons. Light weight and real handy in a vehicle due to its shortness. I put on a slip on shotgun recoil pad for the heavy hunting loads (90grs BP & 530gr minie).

See pic for why I like it.

duke76
09-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks fellas, after reading your replies I think you are probably correct in saying a shorter rifle or musketoon may be the way to go for what I want to do, so next question do you prefer Armi Sport or Euroarms? Where is the best place to purchase and has the best prices? Is there another name for the musketoon, I am having a hard time locating them on the web that are for sale, thanks again, Todd

Walt-MT
09-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Todd,
I like and shoot "2 band" eg 1841 rifle or 1863 "Zouave" - 33"+/- barrels; and 3 band 1855, 1861, 1863 "Springfield" Rifle muskets - 40"+/- barrels. I'm not a fan of the Musketoon - 24" barrel; they do shoot though. I have no problem teaching youth to shoot with 2 or 3 bander length and don't feel handicapped in the woods or on the range.
For most of us americans I feel the US drop and comb is preferable compared to the Enfield which requires a more erect and slightly head back posture for most shooters to get good sight picture and to keep from getting walloped.

I feel the 1863 "Zouave" repros are ideal. A.Zoli are top notch and in the used market( but they tend to run larger bore diameter and need a larger diameter projectile), then Euroarms (now out of business) last is Armisport (least cost new, but problematic for parts).

Hope this helps.
WA

missionary5155
09-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Good afternoon
I have owned a Navy Arms Zoli Zouave 32" barrel for more than 20 years. It was one owner used when I bought it. It has served well with 85 grains 2F under a .57 RB cast of 40-1. Power wise it will shoot through two large does at about 35 yards standing side by side. Out to 75 yards I can hit a 3" circle every time. It has the shallow rifling for mini´s but I found a tight patched RB more accurate in my rifle. The musket cap nipple was already replaced with a #11 cap nipple which I do not regret. For hunting I replaced the 2 leaf sight with a simple peep hole sight sighted for 75 yards. I hunt river bottoms and my longest deer shot has been 35 yards so the single range peep serves very well.
I also shoot full length (42" barrel) 69 smoothbore muskets. Those 10" extra barrel lengths do make them a bit more cumbersome to woods / river bottom hunt. But I sure would not let that divert my interest. You just get used to it being out there.
Mike in Peru

Shooter
09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I love my Euroarms musketoon. Handy, and very accurate with 50 Gr. FFF and a minie. That load will dump deer hard. You don't need a lot of powder.

NickSS
09-23-2011, 02:51 AM
I have an old Hi Hunter Zouave as well as one by Zoli both are good accurate rifles. All my long muskets are Euroarms and my Musketoons are all Parker Hales (I have three of them and buy any that I see for sale as my son and wife and Daughters all like that gun.

Tatume
09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Parker Hale rifles are of excellent quality.

iron brigade
09-23-2011, 08:34 AM
parker-hale. you won't be sorry.

gifford
09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Duke, if you have the opportunity to shoulder both the Enfield and the Springfield you may like one or the other. I've found the Enfield stock straighter than the Springfield. The Springfield is more comfortable for me, others like the Enfield stock.

The Remington Zouave is my choice for a percussion military rifle. It's over 30 years old and still handles well, both minie and patched roundball.

Hellgate
09-23-2011, 02:38 PM
The Enfield stock can be hard to get down on to get a quick sight picture. For hunting I put on a shotgun style slip-on recoil pad which moved my cheek a little farther back on the crown and sight acquisition was better. The Zouave has a lot of drop and your cheek is held higher.