PDA

View Full Version : cerrosafe,is it as good as Brownell's says

Throckmorton
09-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Need to cast the chamber on an old wincheser,and wondering if there is any thing better than cerrosafe? Or maybe something cheaper but still reliable?
buying it for a gunsmith-trained friend ,but he's not available to ask right now so thought I"D get a consensus here .
Thanks all !

slide
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Some like it,some don't. I have had good luck (done it twice on pistol barrels) I give it a thumbs up. I am sure some others will disagree. A lot of the guys use a pure lead ball to check with.

redneckdan
09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
get it from rotometals, much cheaper. I use it for checking cylinder throats too.

rbertalotto
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Fantastic stuff.......a MUST HAVE in any good gunsmithing shop.

I quickly cast every chamber I cut just so I can be 100% sure there are no issues that are obvious.

Stick a piece of paper towel down the bore an inch past the chambers neck. Heat up the Cerrosafe in a ladle with a heat gun and pour it in. Wait a minute or two and use a cleaning rod to pop it out.

If you are taking measurements, wait about 15 minutes for the material to swell back to the proper size.

When done, reheat (melt) and store.

I made this little ladle that I store my Cerrosafe in.

http://images116.fotki.com/v107/photos/3/36012/76857/DSC_2087-vi.jpg

Doc_Stihl
09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
I found that when casting chambers that a few passes with a blow drier to just warm up the surface to above room temp made for REALLy nice casts.

ipopum
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
I use it. For casts that are less critical I just use petroleum wax. spray silicone in the chamber and pour. Wax will harden quite quickly. push out gently with as big of bore rod as possible. Yes do put paper down the bore into the throat area to stop the wax from going down the bore.

MtGun44
09-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I have used it a few times, worked just fine.

Bill

adrians
09-22-2011, 07:34 AM
got mine from rotometals ,,don't look as pretty as brownells but it does the exact same good job .
cheaper too.

uscra112
09-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Also real handy for fixturing small or hard-to-hold parts for filing or machining.

Jet engine turbine blades are fixtured this way when they are grinding the christmas tree form on the roots. They use a harder, higher melting point metal, but the principle is the same.

I buy mine from www.mcmaster.com

Throckmorton
09-23-2011, 04:03 PM
LOTS of good info !! thanks a lot !!