PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit problems in XDM5.25 9mm

garym1a2
09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
My load of 4.8wsf and the Lee 120TC sized to .356 runs great in my glock with the Storm lake barrellel (1180fps). But in my brothers XDM5.25 it hits the target sideways at times. I use a good lube (RCBS LAM, 50/50) and don't see leading in either case.

My Glock Mics slugged with the lee 105 grain boolit is .351 to .356.

With the XDM it dial Mics at .348 to .355 depending on rotation. The grooves are much wider and the twist rate is faster.

Any suggestions, I have lots of boolits casted and ready to go?

Tommorrow I will have a new .354 sizer die, and I also already have .356 and .358 sizer dies.

bobthenailer
09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
It seemes to me if the bullets are hitting the bullet sidways . it is a indicater of lack of bullet stablization from being possibly undersized for the XD . I would try a larger bullet size than you previously used and ck for accuracy with the same load with bullet dia being the only variable.
I have several 9mms & 38 supers i test all for accuracy with bullets sized from .356 , .357, .358
and let the gun tell me what dia bullet it prefers. some people have reported useing larger than .358 dia in the 9mm to get accuracy.
Also watch for over taper crimping with cast bullets ! this is a problem with the lee factory crimp die as it resizes the bullet to smaller that the sized dia causig inaccuracy

garym1a2
09-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks. What messes me up is that when I slugg the gun it is much tighter than the glock was. The glock handles the :356 boolet well.
For slugging the xdm I used a lee 105 swc boolit sized to. 358

MtGun44
09-21-2011, 12:16 AM
I think your measurements may be off. Are you using a .0001" micrometer or a dial caliper? The
vast majority (essentially all) of dial calipers are accurate to no more than +/-.001. So - a
measured .356 could be either .355 or .357. This is essentially useless for measuring boolits
or slugging.

If you don't have one, you need to get a .0001" micrometer and see what it tells you. ENCO
tools online often has decent quality mics in this accy range for $30-$50. Look at Fowler
brand on their site. I have no connection to ENCO except as a satisfied customer.

I think you are too small, not too large. I have rarely seen too large cause problems, too
small always gives exactly your symptoms.

Bill

garym1a2
09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I use a good pair of Mitutoyo dial micrometer and also a veener caliper and get about the same result. Plus the slugging was much harder than my Storm lake glock barrel. Plus the gun has a very fast twist rate. My first try will be to reduce the powder charge 15%. Next will be different boolit sizes as I have .354, .356, .358 size dies. Maybe also try to load with a diferent bullet.

Could the boolit be too hard? My alloy for 9mm has 10% linotype added and will be heavy on the tin as I have a ton of solder.

I think your measurements may be off. Are you using a .0001" micrometer or a dial caliper? The
vast majority (essentially all) of dial calipers are accurate to no more than +/-.001. So - a
measured .356 could be either .355 or .357. This is essentially useless for measuring boolits
or slugging.

If you don't have one, you need to get a .0001" micrometer and see what it tells you. ENCO
tools online often has decent quality mics in this accy range for $30-$50. Look at Fowler
brand on their site. I have no connection to ENCO except as a satisfied customer.

I think you are too small, not too large. I have rarely seen too large cause problems, too
small always gives exactly your symptoms.

Bill

MtGun44
09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
What is a dial micrometer? Is this a real micrometer, like a little C-clamp or what?
This is not a term I know. If you mean dial caliper, I stand by my comments. These are
NOT more accurate that +/-.001" or worse. Just because there are little lines does not make
them accurate. You need a micrometer that is one ten thousandth of an inch accuracy, .0001"
not expensive. Thinking that a caliper can do this is just fooling yourself.

Can be too hard, this a definite possibility. Too small and/or too hard are the standard
problems with 9mms.

Bill

garym1a2
09-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Attached are my pictures, I think I have the right equipment. I made a lot of progress yesterday by taking my normal load and reducing the powder charge from 4.9grain WSF to 4.4 grain WSF. I guess a load that runs 1180fps out of my shorter Glock where too fast for a 5.25 inch barrellel with a faster twist rate.

The target was shot at 20 yards and none of the boolits keyhole or went un stable. Now i just need to work on my accuracy and stop pulling rounds to the right.

What is a dial micrometer? Is this a real micrometer, like a little C-clamp or what?
This is not a term I know. If you mean dial caliper, I stand by my comments. These are
NOT more accurate that +/-.001" or worse. Just because there are little lines does not make
them accurate. You need a micrometer that is one ten thousandth of an inch accuracy, .0001"
not expensive. Thinking that a caliper can do this is just fooling yourself.

Can be too hard, this a definite possibility. Too small and/or too hard are the standard
problems with 9mms.

Bill

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_150964e7b280a2c5c2.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2185)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_150964e7b28192684c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2186)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_150964e7b283bc3af5.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2187)

Larry Gibson
09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Two suggestions;

Drop the powder charge to 4 gr.

Use the .358 sizer.

I use the same bullet sized at .358 over 4 gr Bullseye. I've shot it out of numerous handguns with all manner of rifling, groove sizes and twists. I've also shot it out of numerous subguns. It always gives positive functioning and accuracy.

Larry Gibson

garym1a2
09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
What happens if the boolit is sized too big?
I have a couple pounds of Bullseye for the 45acp so I will try 4 grain for the 9mm.
Seems that will be the same charge weight as my 45.
Two suggestions;

Drop the powder charge to 4 gr.

Use the .358 sizer.

I use the same bullet sized at .358 over 4 gr Bullseye. I've shot it out of numerous handguns with all manner of rifling, groove sizes and twists. I've also shot it out of numerous subguns. It always gives positive functioning and accuracy.

Larry Gibson

dfwbiofuels
10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I started to see some issues with my cast lead bullets in my XDm. Guess what? I slugged my bore too and discovered that the barrel is tighter than other guns in the same caliber.

So you slugged yours at .356? For starters, I recommend that you size down your bullets to .356 and no smaller. I would experiment with your seating depth. And I would be working a load around 4.5 to 4.7gr of your powder.

I have heard some negative results regarding that flat nosed Lee bullet and that the round nose TL356-124-2R bullets seem to be performing better.

Any updates?

thegreatdane
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM
.002 larger than bore for 9mm.

timkelley
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I do not have 5.25 but I do have a standard and sub compact. They both love a .358 sizer and with BAC lube and and I get no leading. I have been water dropping my 9mm up to now but next batch I am gonna try air cool because I think it will work even better.