PDA

View Full Version : Reduced loads for the .308 'Cat Sneeze'

Murphy
09-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Ive been thinking for sometime now about loading some cast for a Steven's .308 I have.

I've kept it around as a back up gun for hunting season incase anything went wrong with my primary rifle. I'm looking to turn it into something a bit more fun rather than it just sitting in the vault playing 2nd fiddle.

The only .30 caliber mould I own is an old Group Buy version of the #311041 from back when LEE was doing our group buys.

I'd like a try some loads in the 1200-1400 FPS range, and perhaps some 'cat sneeze' loads as well.

Also, I am always reading about using a filler with reduced loads like this. I'd like some input on what/where to get the material used for this purpose. I have long head of Dacron as a filler, but never seen any and haven't a clue about it.

Thanks,

Murphy

Ben
09-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Murphy :

Looks like this is the thread for you.

Load data and photos of groups shot with the specific muzzle velocity that you specify.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116150

I've never used a filler in a cast bullet load , these don't use a filler and shoot just fine.

Your 311041 is close enough in weight to my SAECO # 315 to use
the load data without any change at all.

Thanks,

Ben

Three44s
09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Ben,

When your thread came out this spring ..... I failed to comment on it ............. The reason being I was SO slack jawed that my fingers could not find the key board with it (my jaw) resting on it.

THAT is ONE fine piece of work!!!

Murphy,

You are right not to let your Stevens sit in 2nd fiddle. Those Savage/Stevens rifles are a tinker's dream.

After doing my first two barrel switch's/installations ........... I am really smitten on them!

They are keepers if not just for tinkering but the way they shoot .......... they are much more than that!

One of the 110's wears what I believe was an AB barrel ......... it was sold to me as a Shaw but it only is marked for caliber on the breech face in .338-06.

The good news is it's real lead friendly but then .......... it was hardly a challenge to get her running!

Enjoy

Three 44s

Ben
09-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Three 44s :

Thanks for those nice comments.

Ben

pilot
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Ben, did you ever shoot that 308 at 100 yards?

Larry Gibson
09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Murphy

Try 10 - 12 gr Unique with that 311041 you've got. That will get you the 1200-1400 fps you're looking for and no need for filler and probably pretty good accuracy.

If you want a real "cat's sneeze" load then get a box of Hornady's 32 swaged lead SWC bullets. Use fire formed cases and just NS or you may not have to size at all for the .314 bullets (no they won't hurt a thing in the .308) and may be able to just push seat them after camfering the case mouth. If you've a .311 Lee sizer then push them through that base first to size and load in sized necks (a .31 M-die works bast). Load over 2.7 - 3.2 gr Bullseye. No filler needed. Velocity will be 600 - 900 fps depending on charge and barrel length. Very accurate to 100+ yards, no recoil, little noise and lots of enjoyment.

If find the above is what you want then get a Lee TL314-90-SWC and cast your own. Also dedicate some cases to such loads and drill the flash holes out with a #30-28 size drill to avoid case headspace set back by the primer firing. I shoot thousands of the Lees out of all my .30/.31s with such loads. Very addictive, be warned.

Larry Gibson

Ben
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Ben, did you ever shoot that 308 at 100 yards?

Pilot,

Yes, I did.

The group below is sub inch for 5 shots. 4 of the bullets are in about 5/8" or so.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/0012-1.jpg

pilot
09-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Ben. Looks like I need to try another mold. I've been working on a load for my Ishapore Enfield without a lot of success. I've been having fun with it using Bullseye and a Lee 155 grain bullet, but haven't been getting a lot of accuracy out of it.

ocelott
09-27-2011, 03:47 AM
If you're still looking for loads I'd suggest looking for this doc.

CAST BULLET LOADS FOR MILITARY RIFLES

Lots of good info in here