PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop, 22 CCM

BeeMan
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Bullshop,

You have mentioned the 22 CCM a few times lately. A quick search of the web revealed little more than the Accurate Arms load data. Tell me about it, where to get brass, etc.

BeeMan

TDB9901
02-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes, please fill us in. I must be quite out of the loop, as I had never heard of it before.

Tom

Johnch
02-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I had a 17 CCM a short while a few years back
Sold it because it was a pain to load for , these fingers just don't do 17 cal bullets

Think of a 22 mag or 17 HMR , but centerfire.
My cases were Fiocchi , I shot the loaded ammo that came with the rifle ( 2 hand rifle) to get brass
Loaded ammo , brass and dies can be had from Cooper
I used Accurate Arms load data

Sweet rifle , but I couldn't keep $1000.00+ wraped up in a toy I didn't shoot
Haven't looked lately , but with fancy wood and extras , you could drop twice that now, maybe more .
Not sure what a plain rifle costs these days

Johnch

floodgate
02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Beeman, TDB:

Ackshully, the .22 CCM ("Cooper Center-fire Magnum") is the THIRD incarnation of the old .22-10-45 Extra-Long Centerfire Maynard, introduced around 1882 in the Maynard single-shots. The original cases were rimmed, a straight 0.250" or so OD and about 1-3/16" long and took an 0.226" - 0.228" flat-point, plain-base bullet*. The original cases were of the very weak folded-head variety; when they went to the drawn "solid head" cases, powder capacity was reduced to 8 grs. BP. The cartridge had a reputation for being finicky, and hard to get accurate shooting from; it was outclassed by the .22 WCF (daddy of the Hornet) and the .22-15-60 Stevens, and pretty well died out by the late 1800's.

It was revived at the end of the 19th century as the .22 "Velo-Dog", for the tiny, folding-trigger, concealed-hammer pocket revolvers that became popular in Europe (the name implies that bicyclists could use them to discourage dogs), usually with jacketed bullets in the 0.226" - 0.230" diameter range, and has been made off-and-on by various manufacturers, including a couple in the US (truly, the "REM-UMC - VD" is a headstamp classic).

Cooper Arms decided to see how far the basic case, as currently made by Fiocchi, could be pushed in a sturdy bolt-action rifle, both as the .22 Cooper Center-Fire magnum - and necked down, as their .17 CCM - with modern 0.224" bullets. They had trouble with quality control in the Fiocchi plant, but finally got a serviceable batch of cases run; I got 100 of the last few nickeled, un-necked .17 CCM cases they had on hand, for use in a "parts" Stevens No. 44 - definitely not up to "magnum" specs; more like a reloadable (SP primer pockets) .22 Long Rifle. Bullshop has been playing with the same concept, in a variety of rifles and handguns, at various loading levels as appropriate for the respective platforms; I still need to get my Stevens up and running (final stock shaping and finshing and installing a set of sights: sporting tang and Beach or globe front).

Cases are no longer available from Cooper (just as well, as the run-of-the-mill Fiocchi Velo-Dog cases are pretty poor), but can be obtained from Buffalo Arms and other sources, usually re-formed from .22 Hornet brass. With care and light loads, they should last just about forever.

floodgate

* with these specs, they are a virtually PRECISE 1/2-scale copy of the .45-90!

Bullshop
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
OH BOY! You done did it now! Cooper mania is alive and well here. Hay how can ya not like a cartridge that can equal its compatition and give ya 3500 shots per lb of powder?
The Cooper was offerd to answer a cry for a reloadable cartridge in the 22 wmr class. Its a very useful performance range but the cost of the RF ammo is a bit too high.
Give us this cartridge and we will worship you they said. So the crowd from Origon left with the kimber equipment and headed for Stevi Mt. hoping to make a name for themselves.
It was a good plan that flopped. The first brass from Red willow Armory(now Ballard of Cody) was turned from bar stock and good for at least one shot. It would most often split on the first.
WHAT! said they. We still only get one shot but now pay twice as much. So soon it was down with the king. Next came new hope from across the water with drawn brass.
At this point it was too late the poisin had already spread.
I have never used the Fiocchi brass so cant say yay or nay on ist performance. I use brass from Shroader Bullet Works and can say without doubt it is a great value. It cost .50 per which seems high but when you consider that I am still using the first lot of brass I first got from them and it hit by actual count 50 relaods 4 years ago. So far I have lost about 10 to split necks and as I said they have likely seen 75 reloads by now. I quit counting at 50 as I felt that was satisfactory. Figuring the brass at .01 per load a box of 50 rounds cost me about $1.50. Thats pretty good for a round that will beat the 22 wmr in energy with any bullet weight by 40%.
As a revolver cartridge it is super accurat and powerful. I have always been a fan of straight wall cases so a 22 straight wall is a natural for me.
I just cant say enough good things about this round. I have mentioned before on the which one if only one questions that pop up here that this is the one. The truth is with precise shot placment it will drop anything that walks.
I once shot it with the NEI #2 and 3.3gn 800X into 1 gallon milk juggs filled with watter. We kept adding juggs to see how many it would take to stop it. Finaly running out of juggs we lined up the last remaning 7. That shot went through all 7 and penitrated the 3/8" plywood backing too.
This is about the greatest cast boolit cartridge ever designed. Think of it as a shrunk down 45/70. One that is extreamly accurate, has no recoil, made to order for small game, and for about $5.00 you can shoot a couple hundred rounds. Whats not to like? Bring back the Cooper it is the rightful king of small bore boolit shooters. Long live the king!
BIC/BS

BeeMan
02-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Boy, you guys find some obscure stuff. Very interesting, as was Buffalo Arms web site price of $2 per case. Think I'll be sticking with the Hornet, or maybe the K version of it.

BeeMan

Dale53
02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
I have had rather good luck with cast bullets in various .22 centerfire calibers. The .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball are two of them.

In the Hornet, in both a rifle and a TC pistol, I had little difficulty in getting ½" groups at fifty yards (five shot groups) with 3.0 grs of Unique behind the Lyman .225415 or .225438 GC bullets cast of linotype.

In the .221 Fireball in both a TC pistol and a Ruger #3 (rechambered Hornet with custom wood) 4.0 grs of Unique behind the same bullets gave me the same size groups.

Brass for both is inexpensive and available and the cartridges are pretty dern versatile. .221 brass is especially good stuff and strong.

If I was interested in a centerfire small game rifle today, and for whatever reason, was not interested in a .25/20, .32/20, or .32 Magnum (which are great small game rounds) I would much rather have a .22 Hornet or .221 Fireball than a .22 CCM. The rounds are just simply more versatile, there is a ton of loading data on both and they both work VERY well.

Just one man's opinion...
Dale53

TDB9901
02-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes, I think I'll stick with my Hornet. I have an older H&R Handi with a full(Mannlicher) style stock. I've never seen another Handi with one, but then I apparently don't get around much, so they may not be that unusual..

Anyway, it's a nice little rifle, and I'm hoping it will shoot cast as well as it does J's.(Another one of them "Round Tuits")

Interesting stuff none the less....I had heard of the Velo Dog before, but had no idea that any of it's decendents were still in circulation.

Tom

Bullshop
02-03-2007, 03:32 AM
tdb9901
We too have one of the H&R full stock rifles but in 30/30. Wanna trade? I would have to say the same thing that this is the only one I have ever seen.
Nice little rifles indeed. Just seem completely different than the reguler forend rifles . This one has nice sights too but I have not a clue if they are origonal.
I do too like the hornet as many here have often heard. Its just that I have this thing for straight cases and that little cooper case never needs a filler.
BIC/BS

floodgate
02-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Dale, etc:

I went with the ".224 XLCF" because it is just about perfectly matched - with "factory equivalent" loads in FFFg or smokeless - for the relatively feeble Stevens #44 action. At those levels, decent cases should last just about forever. I turned a few from half-hard 5/16" brass, finishing off the primer pockets with a Sinclair "Primer Pocket Uniformer", but wouldn't do it for $2 each; I'd rather pay Buffalo's very reasonable price for that job.

floodgate

TDB9901
02-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Actually, I was thinking your 30-30 would look really good in my rack beside it's little brother. ......... I'm really happy with the little Hornet so far it shoots as well as I can. Likes Hornady 40gr J's,but I just bought a Bator mold from Mid-South to try in it and our .223's.

Thinking about coming back up your way this summer, if things work out.....
Have an aunt who lives at Salcha.

Tom

Blackwater
02-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Has anyone tried the .22 Squirrel? It's the Hornet shortened and with a K-style neck, more or less.

roadie
05-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Bullshop,
A couple of questions on your .22 CCM.

#1: Have you tried to work up really light loads, as in "cat sneeze" for it?
I'm thinking probably not, given where you live, the need may not be there for them.

#2: Have you ever checked the case capacity (water) with your cases?

The reason I ask is because I'm finally able to play with a wildcat Hornet I built a while back. It seems to be close to the .22 Squirrel in size, I think mine is a tad longer in the body. I'm thinking it should be close to the .22CCM as far as capacity.
R-P cases hold 9.5gr. of water
W-W cases hold 9.7gr.

I'm using the RCBS-55-FN and 1.5gr. Unique but it's still as loud as a ..22 WRF. I need something a lot quieter for the occasional squirrel or cat , that kinda thing, without getting the whole neighborhood in an uproar. I hate when that happens and my neighbor is a LEO to boot.
I know I can just stuff a .22 pellet in the case but I like the added punch of the 55gr.

Anything you have is much appreciated.
Thanks,
roadie

Bullshop Junior
12-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I was doing some google searching since I am considering changing my 22 mag Savage 93 to center fire and I came across this thread. I was going to chamber it for a slightly shortened up version on the 22 CCM so it will fit in the magazine, but this 22 squirrel sounds interesting. I believe the magazine is wide enough for single stack. Does anyone have a cartridge OAL?

Tom_et
05-01-2014, 06:44 AM
BTT

More input please :mrgreen:

Janoosh
05-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Interesting concept. I have a 22 mag martini that I could use for this. More info...puhleeeze..

Bullshop
05-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Very good quality brass is available from Shroader Bullet Works in Sandiago Cal. Brass is also available fro Privi in the form of 22 Velodog ammo.
My subsonic load uses .7 that's 7 tenths os a grain of WST. That's 10,000 shots per pound of powder.
My top end load in a rifle will push the Lyman 225415 (modern version) to 2000 fps with 7gn H-110. That's 1000 shots per pound with a very respectable level of performance. Consider that the Federal 22 mag load with the heaviest available bullet weight will only do 1600 fps from a rifle and you have a good idea how the 22 Cooper compares to the 22 WRM.
The easiest barrels to convert to 22 CCM are contender barrels for 22 mag. The 22 CCM reamer only takes out very little barrel metal that as has been said the 22 wrm can still be used since you have both CF and RF firing pins in the Contender.
I am fortunate to still have a model 38 Cooper rifle which is what the 22 CCM was introduced in. Along with that I am also fortunate enough to still have an old model Ruger Single Sx converted to CF and the cylinder reamed to 22 CCM.
Suffice to say that I do not own a 22 RF and have not by any means experienced any shortages of ammo for my 22's

JeffinNZ
05-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Can we have photos please?

Blammer
05-01-2014, 08:08 PM
this thread is in need of some decent pictures!

or

this thread needs some in decent pictures.

Bullshop
05-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Photos of what?

Bullshop Junior
05-01-2014, 10:26 PM
I find it interesting when dad was trying to revive the 22ccm years ago that no one took much of a interest. Now, it's another story.

Bullshop
05-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Things come and things go and there is nothing new under the sun. The 22 ccm has had at least three incarnations the first starting a century before I tried to help it along.
In light of the current state of rim fire ammo availability the time may be right finally. There are many existing RF platforms that can be converted to center fire. As a matter of fact Shroader Bullet Works the supplier of brass for the 22 ccm is also a supplier for RF to CF bolts for some rifles. I converted a couple of the 5mm Remingtons using his bolts. He also supplies the 5mm Remington brass for these conversions.
Anyway a 22 ccm is not all that obscure as some folks think.
BTW my Cooper Arms model 38 is number 508 and a beautiful and accurate rifle. My Ruger single six is a very early model that has worn stag grips since it was new half a century ago, possibly Ruger but I am not sure.
I can ask for help with a pic if anyone would really like to see them.

Blammer
05-02-2014, 09:44 PM
photo's of the cartridge would be nice. I have no idea what it looks like, and not just a side profile, show the bottom where the primer goes also.

Bullshop Junior
05-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I'll see if I can help with some photos.

These are 22 velo dog rounds.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/duga6yme.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/9yqusymy.jpg

Chev. William
05-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Here is a drawing of the .22 CCM Cartridge.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/22CCM_zps861d48f2.gif

I hope this helps,
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
05-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Here is a drawing of the .22 CCM Cartridge.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/22CCM_zps861d48f2.gif

I hope this helps,
Best Regards,
Chev. William

PS: Quote from the "LoadData" web site:
" Notes: gun: Shilen; barrel length: 24"; primer: Rem 1 1/2; case: CCM; max length: 1.156"; trim length: 1.154"; COL max: 1.480"; NOTE: The .22 Cooper Centerfire Magnum is the .22 Extra Long Centerfire reborn. The .22 Extra Long Centerfire was designed for the Model 1882 Maynard single shot hunting and gallery rifles. It was replaced by the .22 WCF. The .22 CCM can be thought of as a reloadable .22 WMR. Its performance actually places it midway between the .22 WMR and the .22 Hornet. The maximum loads shown do not exceed the 48,500 C.U.P. limit established by Cooper Arms."
Chev. William

Blammer
05-03-2014, 10:37 PM
thanks, that velo dog round is 3 inches long?

Bullshop
05-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I don't think that is an inch ruler. Must be a metric ruler.

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Yes it is metric

Blammer
05-04-2014, 12:07 PM
so, what's the scale.... and don't say 10's...

Bullshop
05-04-2014, 12:08 PM
centimeters?

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Metric. I learned this in school I think....the numbered ones should be centimeters. 10 millimeters to a centimeter. So that cartridge is about 29 mm long, 1.10 inch.

Chev. William
05-04-2014, 01:08 PM
1.156" times 25.4 (mm=inch) gives 29.36+mm or 2.936cm.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 01:12 PM
1.156" times 25.4 (mm=inch) gives 29.36+mm or 2.936cm.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

I was just taking a rough guess off of the photo with the ruler. Thanks.

DLCTEX
05-04-2014, 03:27 PM
So is Velo Dog and CCM the same?

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Other then the way they are loaded, pretty much I believe.

starmac
05-04-2014, 04:34 PM
With the way rimfire availability has been the last few years, it just might be a great time to resurrect this round. I could not find any brass listed for it, but my computer skills are not the best either. lol

Bullshop Junior
05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't think shroader has a website. I have seen the velo dog ammo a few places. The factory velo dogs are loaded to about a 22 short.

starmac
05-04-2014, 04:57 PM
I actually found their site, but didn't find a listing for the brass. That does not mean that they don't have it though.

Janoosh
05-04-2014, 05:09 PM
The 22 mag martini I have was just rechambered from 22 lr. What are the Ideal bore dimensions???

Bullshop
05-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I can dig up an address for Shroader if you need it.

JeffinNZ
05-04-2014, 08:02 PM
thanks, that velo dog round is 3 inches long?

Blammer, you surprise me. LOL.

starmac
05-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I can dig up an address for Shroader if you need it.

No need, I think their contact info is on their website, besides you have the only guns I know where is that is chambered for them. lol I just think if the cartridge would ever have a chance at makinga go of it, right now would be the best time for cooper or someone to make a comeback with it.

Chev. William
06-30-2014, 03:30 PM
As of today, June 30, 2014, "Ammoguide Interactive" now has the corrected .22CCM dimensions posted to their Cartridge Database. Now there is another source for Dimensions to generate a Chamber Reamer and dies from. Pressures are not listed but the Bullet Weight and Velocity are consistent with .22WMR so its pressure limits would seem to be indicated as a starting limit.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Bullshop
06-30-2014, 03:52 PM
I have the original load data that came with my rifle from Cooper and there is also more data in the Accurate Arms data book. The AA book also has cartridge dimensions.
I have also developed an extensive amount data with cast boolits in both rifle and revolver.
I also have a finish reamer that was made by Rocky Mountain I believe.

mikeym1a
06-30-2014, 04:44 PM
This is such a neat post. I really like the idea of this round. And from that one picture, it does look like a baby 45-70. I'd really like to have one. We'll see what the rest of the year brings me. Thanks, Guys!! mikey

silverado
09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I know I'm late to the party... but is anything going to come of this? I am interested.

Oreo
09-25-2014, 08:44 PM
What were you expecting? Iirc, (its been a while since I read the thread) Bullshop told of a source for brass, and getting a gun is a matter of talking to a gun smith. That's kinda it right?

Bullshop
09-25-2014, 09:47 PM
There might be some used guns available. My Cooper rifle is #508 so I know they made at least that many. I made one out of a 22 mag Contender barrel that turned our very well. It started out as a Bullberry 22 mag and I just reamed the chamber to the 22 CCM. I have the reamer but will only trust it to someone experienced in chambering because a reamer can be easily damaged from improper use. Re chambering a Contender is the simplest way to get one.
There are a few 22 RF rifles that can be converted to CF and Shroader Bullet Works the folks that sell the 22 CCM brass offer CF bolts for some of those rifles.

Bullshop Junior
09-25-2014, 11:34 PM
I was gonna convert a Savage 93. The model 40 bold head should fit and you would just need to make a extractor.

leftiye
09-26-2014, 04:35 AM
I actually found their site, but didn't find a listing for the brass. That does not mean that they don't have it though.

How about sharing. I have ordered 22CCM brass from him before, but don't have his phone number any more.

silverado
09-26-2014, 11:07 AM
What were you expecting? Iirc, (its been a while since I read the thread) Bullshop told of a source for brass, and getting a gun is a matter of talking to a gun smith. That's kinda it right?
I guess I was wondering about factory rifles and mass produced brass. I cant afford a lot of custom work or rare rifles. I guess this is a subject I will enjoy from the sidelines

SOFMatchstaff
09-26-2014, 04:17 PM
I have a set of dies for this little popper, RCBS, in the for sale section.

Chev. William
09-28-2014, 01:17 PM
I have a set of dies for this little popper, RCBS, in the for sale section.
The Sales Thread reports that the dies are actually for the .17CCM, not the .22CCM, Oh Well.
Chev. William

SOFMatchstaff
09-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Yep, forgot about this thread, I did say "little" though.....

1989toddm
01-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Digging up this one.
I like the idea of 22 ccm in a handi, and I have a spare 22lr barrel that I think would work stubbed into a 12 or 20 ga. Good idea, bad idea?

Chev. William
01-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Good or Bad depends on the Workmanship and the Loads you intend to shoot.

I would hazard a Guess that the proposed project is doable though.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
01-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Is this the same source?

Bullets Schroeder (http://www.manta.com/c/mm2tjd8/bullets-schroeder)
1421 Thermal Avenue
San Diego, CA
Phone: (619) 423-3523

1989toddm
01-18-2015, 12:10 AM
I don't know, I couldn't find the website anywhere..

Chev. William
01-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Perhaps There is no 'web site' any more?
Chev. William

1989toddm
01-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Very possible. I'm torn between pursuing this in rechambering a Handi 22lr or going with a Hornet.

BrassMagnet
01-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Very possible. I'm torn between pursuing this in rechambering a Handi 22lr or going with a Hornet.

Hornet!!!!!!

Smoke4320
01-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Hornet. Been around a long time
Will be around a long time
When you decide to sell your customer base will be much larger

BrassMagnet
01-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Hornet. Been around a long time
Will be around a long time
When you decide to sell your customer base will be much larger

You'll also know you are paying for BRASS. You won't suspect you are paying for GOLD!

panaceabeachbum
05-15-2016, 07:49 PM
I have a cooper 38, serial in the low 100's but I have never fired or had ammo for. I see form dies listed but no explanation of forming etc. I assume the rcbs forming die is run over a 22 hornet, stopped just shy of solid part just before head, then case is trimmed to length and base and head turned to correct diameter. Does this sound about right? Im not new to wildcats or afraid of a little work , just cant find any real step by step on brass forming

edited, I removed your WTB brass,please post in WTB section

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-15-2016, 08:00 PM
panaceabeachbum,
Bullshop has been banned from castboolits, although he is still a friend of mine, if you do a simple google search, you may find he has started his own forum and/or webpage. I believe he still sells boolits, so I imagine, if you caught him on the right day, he may sell you formed brass as well.

Chev. William
05-15-2016, 10:51 PM
I have a cooper 38, serial in the low 100's but I have never fired or had ammo for. I see form dies listed but no explanation of forming etc. I assume the rcbs forming die is run over a 22 hornet, stopped just shy of solid part just before head, then case is trimmed to length and base and head turned to correct diameter. Does this sound about right? Im not new to wildcats or afraid of a little work , just cant find any real step by step on brass forming

edited, I removed your WTB brass,please post in WTB section

Turning the Base/rim after sizing only to the top of the Base web is a good way to get weak cases as the Wall above the Web is swaged in and leaves the Wall to Web joint 'large' and subject to Thinning to ZERO in the turning process. Look for the Thread on .32 Rimfire Reloading as it has a discussion on reforming .22 Hornet down to the Rim to .276" diameter, which might give you some Ideas.

Chev. William

starmac
05-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Bullshop had brass for the 22ccm, but as far as I know he purchased it from some outfit in Cali, and did not form his own. I did get to handle that single six that he had converte dto ccm, would have loved to have owned it, coupled with the cooper rifle.

leftiye
05-16-2016, 06:17 AM
Brass can be had from Schroeder in San Diego for $60/100. Already made from .22 Hornet.

1989toddm
05-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Brass can be had from Schroeder in San Diego for $60/100. Already made from .22 Hornet.

This would be the way to go I think. When I called Schroeder, the guy told me that there's 14 steps to converting 22 hornet to 22 CCM. [emoji15]

Chev. William
05-16-2016, 07:49 PM
Sounds reasonable based upon my experiences swaging down .22 Hornet and 5.7x28mm Brass to .276" body and base diameters. I can Just barely do the Hornet in One swaging step but need at least three swaging steps to bring the 5.7x28mm diameters down to the Same .276" end product.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
05-18-2016, 05:44 PM
What is "Schroeder" contact information?
Address, Telephone number, Email address, Web page address, Etc.
Best Regards,
Chev. Willaim

1989toddm
05-18-2016, 05:55 PM
What is "Schroeder" contact information?
Address, Telephone number, Email address, Web page address, Etc.
Best Regards,
Chev. Willaim

http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/scbu.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chev. William
02-28-2018, 07:32 PM
Just noted that Buffalo Arms, Inc. is now selling .22CCM empty cases As reloading supplies.

chev. william

NoZombies
03-01-2018, 12:24 AM
Just noted that Buffalo Arms, Inc. is now selling .22CCM empty cases As reloading supplies.

chev. william

If you want enough to actually load, Reed's ammo and Schroeder still sell CCM brass as well. Reed's is about $1 a piece, and Shcroeder is about $0.60.

It is time consuming to make from hornet brass, and you're not starting with the cheapest parent case either. I don't know if there are 14 steps in making it, but I wouldn't make it for $0.60 a piece...

gsdelong
03-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Oops big difference between tcm and ccm.

Thin Man
03-04-2018, 08:05 AM
I took a few looks at the CCM and decided I already had enough rifles in Hornet and Bee to get me by without having to do all the search for brass, dies and loading data for this caliber. I am not new to wildcats but this one is so limited in what it offers when compared against existing cartridges I took a pass on it.

Back in around 1972-3 I also had a Handi in 22 Hornet. Applied a scope to it and worked with it about 2 years trying to get it to create respectable groups. The trigger in that rifle was so heavy and draggy I could not hold the rifle steady even on a bench. Out of frustration I sent it away. That was then, and today I would love to have it back and to cure it of what ailed it. Bad case of seller's remorse. I also get frumpy over the Marlin model 62 in .30 Carbine I let go because it refused to chamber up any handloaded brass (even unloaded and trimmed) because the dies would not reduce the web enough to fit the chamber. Now that challenge could be corrected, but the rifle is long gone and I still miss it. Now I will stay with my Winchester 43's in Hornet and Bee and make peace with the world.

Magnum Wheel Man
03-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Hope you guys don't mind me dredging up an old thread... but I've gotten pretty deep into this cartridge by accident... independently developing a cartridge that was the same… during one of the last ( 3 or so shortages ago ) my retired tool & die buddy worked with me to make a centerfire 22 equivalent… as a collector, I have a Velo-dog revolver, & several boxes of the last Fiocchi produced Velo-dog ammo… we started with my Stainless Taurus 22 rim fire magnum 4” barrel revolver, converting it to centerfire, rechambering slightly the 8 shot cylinder, then we lathe turned some cases… we did this quite a while ago… then in 2018 ( years late & dollars short ) I bought a box of 22 CCM ammo from Reeds, just because I could never quite pull my mind away from that project… low & behold, those cartridges fit, fired perfectly in my converted Taurus… so this got me thinking again, & I bought a Bisley Single Six in 32 Magnum, & it’s at John Powers shop getting a new barrel, & an 8 shot cylinder built ( to match the Taurus I built earlier )…

I’m now scrounging cases… & cleaned out the Fiocchi cases that Reeds had, as well as all the turned down & formed cases that Quality Cartridge had...

Do you have current contact info for Schroeder ( the link above is dead ) or any place else that has brass... I'm not afraid of making my own cases, just finished making 500 - 401 Powermag cases, & am in the middle of making 500 10mm rimmed cases for a GP-100 that is at Dave Clements getting converted to 10mm rimmed right now, but with so many projects I'd rather buy these cases if I could... but with current listed prices at Buffalo Arms, I'd probably have to make them...

with my revolvers & rifles, I like to have 500 cases for each gun... I now have close to 500 Velo-dog... err... I mean CCM cases... but that new Bisley Single Six is due home sometime in 2019, so I've got some case scrounging to do... any help would be greatly appreciated

a pic of my Taurus 22 Centerfire / 22 CCM

https://i.ibb.co/CWPMCPg/22-CCM-Taurus-new-grips-front-sight.jpg (https://ibb.co/yV4Yv4t)

Lathe turned 303 stainless cases, & custom dies of the original 22 Centerfire...

https://i.ibb.co/Y72b6VV/22-Mag-CF-002.jpg (https://ibb.co/fYMQbTT)

https://i.ibb.co/6m8ZDh2/Velo-dog-1.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Magnum Wheel Man
03-28-2019, 11:11 AM
BTW... I do realize the value of the Hornet case to these smaller cartridges... about the same time as the 22 Centerfire development, I did a 257 Special, by straightening & trimming the cases to best fit a single six cylinder...

https://preview.ibb.co/bKnBSQ/257-Special-engraving.jpg (https://ibb.co/b3MGu5)

https://i.ibb.co/F34WH5y/257-Special-family-group.jpg (https://ibb.co/7CtzknZ)

MT Gianni
03-28-2019, 01:24 PM
Interesting, I have a couple of older High Standard revolvers that I wondered about reforming a hammer to strike case center with years ago.