PDA

View Full Version : your best rimfire shot ever NO BS

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 10:04 PM
ok i love to here about the best shot i ever made with a rimfire storys. please NO BULL **** no rule 16 and no storys starting with there i was.

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
my best shot was many years ago I was just getting into shooting as a kid. I started with a old yogo training rifle I got from ACE and i dont even know what ammo. I was lucky and lived out in the stikes and was able to hunt almost all year. Anyway the shot that i can still see in my head is of a rabbit i shot about 120 yards out. I hunted in a patch were thay started trees in before thay moved them to biger lots. thay had rows that were about 8" or so and i only seen the back of the rabbit and never even really planed on hitting the dang thang my buddy bet me a box of ammo on it. Now that i think about it the bang target was only about 1 1/2" and with the old gun and a 5 doller scope was a one shot i bet i cant redo. here's to the shots we wish we had on tape lol

wv109323
09-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Best group instead of best shot.
I was at the range shooting a Win. 52 and a Remington 37. I have just one Unertyl scope and was switching it between the rifles. I had shot both at 50 yards and was ready to head back to the house. That day the Remington seemed to better the Winchester at 50 yards.I had put up a 100 yard target but had not fired on it. I put the scope back on the Remington and tried it at 100 yards. Since there was an adjustment needed to switch between the two rifles I was not zeroed at 100. I fired one,two,three rounds and could not find my bullet holes to make a sight correction. I fired two more rounds and could not see where I was impacting the target.
I walked up to the target and about a foot low was the impact point. When I got home and measured the 5 shot group it was 5/16" Center to Center.

para45lda
09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
15 years old and a Marlin 39A. Offhand at @ 70 yards. A dove in the top of a pecan tree. 2nd shot (missed clean on the first - I don't even remember him flinching) took the top of his head off.

A true Holy $h!t shot (and maybe a little luck).

Wes

waksupi
09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Back when I had good reflexes, good eyes, and lived where there was quail, I pretty consistently shot quail on the wing with a .22 Marlin.

camaro1st
09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
many moons ago me and 2 buddies was plinking turtles at a pond and we made our way around to the other side. one of them said something about leaving there pop on the bank on the other side (the pond was about 50yrs across) and i said here i will open it for ya!!! before he was able to say a word i popped a shot off. offhand i spun the lid off and up in the air around 5ft. we figured i hit just below it, when we got back over there i had just nicked the lid enough to spin it off. he keep his pop out of sight after that!! that was with a westernfield pump 22 with open sites.

Tom-ADC
09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
25 rounds back to back out of my Savage 93R17 FV 17 HMR just one big jagged just under a quarter in size,new rifle at 100 yds. Do have the target to prove it.

krag35
09-20-2011, 12:22 AM
7 Grouse out of one tree. Started at the bottom and worked my way up.

waksupi
09-20-2011, 01:08 AM
I forgot about pheasants at nearly 250 yards, on plowed fields. Walked the shots in.

Did I mention these things were illegal? Statute of Limitations are WAY down the road on these, though.

redneckdan
09-20-2011, 02:17 AM
One night at the range some guys found a junk arrow from the archer club. They hung it on a target hanger with the axis in line with the range at 25yds. They were banging away at it with pistols. I had my mossy 144 LSB that night. I slipped on into the chamber, got into a nice solid standing position and started my little figure 8s. Squeezed one off. Bullet split the aluminum shaft all the way down to where it was already kinked. I coolly opened the bolt and put it back into the case like nothing unusual happened. In side I was scream HOLY *&$_

shotstring
09-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Shooting a 70 series Colt 45 frame with a Kart 22 conversion on it - finally managed to shoot a true one hole group at 50 feet. Actual hole was approx .23 but it was one round hole, not a cloverleaf. I know it was more luck than skill, as 22 ammunition just isn't capable of shooting such tight groups but didn't matter to me.

Carried that target in my billfold for the next 10 years - never could duplicate it.

oldgeezershooter
09-20-2011, 03:21 AM
We were target practicing and my buddys truck was about 25yds. away, I told him I am going to shoot the little ball off the radio antenna, he goes OK and I shot and "Ping." it disappeared.
Marlin Golden 39A.

09-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Statute of Limitations
I was 13 Dad took me along deer hunting with my Glenfield .22 because he had seen some fox the day before. 3 does came in Dad shot one with his 20 ga. the other two ran and stopped about 70 yards away. Being a little kid I asked if I could shoot. Thinking I would miss he said OK. I leaned against a tree and asked where to aim. Dad said put one right behind her ear. So I did she dropped like a rock. I still remember in the cold morning air the steam of Dad's breath on the back of my neck saying OH S--T.

Bret4207
09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Coyote with a 22 short HP out of my 4" Smith Kit Gun, offhand, at about 60-65 yards.Couldn't have put it any more centered and level with his eyes if I'd had a laser guided missile. Pure luck on my part. I'm sure.

With a rifle, a skunk we'd live trapped and turned loose in a big hay field. Junior and his buddy emptied a clip each from their rifles and never cut a hair. By the time I got my Remington pump clone, open sights, he was pushing 110-115 yards. 3 shots, 3 hits, you could hear the bullets hit with the standard velocity ammo I had. Again, lucky.

Most impressive shooting, stopped by the Fish and Game Club range one night to watch the 22 shoot. Friend had a brand new Marlin target rifle. I forget the model, but it was like the 2000 or something, a very limited production rifle you don't see anymore. He had a nice Leupold target scope on it too, 12 or 15x. He handed me the rifle and invited me to try the swingers at 50 yards offhand. Nailed all 4, then he said there's 5 rounds in the mag, lets see you hit that little one again. Yup, popped it. I couldn't do that again in a million years, but i had a good rep in town for some time after that. I think the little one was 1".

x101airborne
09-20-2011, 09:41 AM
pure luck, no skill.

A friend of mine, Doug, and I were taking the kids out shooting 22 at turtles at our back pond. The kids shot a lot and hit a little, but had a good time. The guns went up and the beer came out. he and I sat there for a WHILE as the kids ran through the pasture behind us. A cormorant landed on the pond about 75 yards away. As we just put 3000 dollars worth of bass fingerlings in that pond, we couldnt let it eat them. Grabbed my Browning Buckmark Carbine with a leupold on it and one handed (the other was,.... um,,,, full) shouldered the rifle and fired. The bullet hit about six feet in front of the bird, ricocheted, and hit the bird in the neck just under the head. DRT. I told Doug some lie about how good I am and he threw a handfull of mud in my face. It was all funny till I took a drink and noticed how much ended up in that can. THAT'S just MEAN!!!!

inkedbylee
09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
the best part of all the storys are that in one way or another most are with kid or back when you were a kid. One more thing to think about when you get ready to go out "find a kid take a kid or be a kid" the best times will be had.

jmsj
09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Best shot (or luckiest) with a .22, my wife and I were at the back porch and a squirrel ran past the house and into my horse pasture.I went back into the kitchen grabbed my Ruger bearcat from the cupboard, ran back out and shot at him while he was in a dead run and rolled him. My wife was on the phone, I made her hang up and go with me while I paced off the shot. 43 long paces and hit him in the neck

HANDYMAN
09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
A few years ago I took a dove out of a tree at 125yds with a Marlin mod 60. I was pretty proud of myself!

Blanket
09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Was out at or 200 yard service rifle range doing the mowing chores and ran a target up in the butts with a new face on it. Well as I made the rounds on the mower I would stop at the 200 yard firing line and shoot a mag out of my HS Victor at the target Get back on the mower and check and paste the target when I swung around the butts. Learned that if I held right level with the top of the frame I could put the rounds in the center area of the target.
Next day found me back out at the range and a couple of young guys were shooting a chinese AK copy at the 200 yard line. Walked up and was talking to them and they were pretty happy to be hitting on paper at that range. Told them I could hit the black with a 22 pistol and they called BS. When the bettin was done there was 2 cases of beer on the line and I set down with my hands resting on my coat on the bench and proceeded to put 10 rounds in the 8,9 and 10 ring. Never could do it again and the boys bought the beer.......Russ

DLCTEX
09-20-2011, 09:00 PM
My best shot with a 22 was at age 14 with a Mossberg carbine rifle with a peep sight. I just bought it and went with a buddy to our pasture where the jackrabbits were thick. The first five or six we jumped I rolled on the run and then I let him try the next one which he missed several shots. It ran and then sat up on a dirt hump at least 300 yds away, looking like a little white dot. He said "let's see you hit that one". I took aim, elevated the sights at a high angle and fired. The jack dissapeared and he said "missed". Then we heard "eeee". He couldn't believe it, but I'd hit it through the head. He told everyone at school the next day and of course I just acted as it was no big deal.

uncle joe
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Man you guys are impressing me with the distance shots. I guess I was never confident enough or to lazy to walk to the target for that. Anyway, when much younger I used to have my wife flip up quarters for me to pop at with my winchester 290 ( my first gun received at age 11) I didn't hit every one by any means but did often enough to keep the wife's interest enough to keep her pitching them. Her brother wanted to go to the canal and plink some one day so we went. While there he wanted to see me hit a quarter he would throw up for me, only problem we didn't have one. I scratched around in the toolbox on the truck and found a washer about the size of a quarter and handed it to him. I then happened to think what it I hit the hole. A little masking tape fixed that. I don't remember how many times he threw it up but the last one he caught it in his hand with a neat little 22 cal hole in it. Those days are long gone, so if any young ones are hearing these stories enjoy your time cause it's mostly down hill from there :smile:

JeffinNZ
09-20-2011, 11:30 PM
150 yard shot on a rabbit with a CCI Stinger. Many years when I was doing a LOT of rabbit shooting and was able to judge distance a LOT better than I can now. Held what I thought to be 18 inches high and it dropped on the spot. Even recovered the bullet which I am sure I still have somewhere.

shotman
09-21-2011, 01:39 AM
a buddy and I were at a large lake. It was about 200 yds wide and were skipping 22s off the water and watching how many times they skipped. A crow landed in a tree on top of a hill that was on the other side of the lake . He said he was going to shoot it out of the tree. OK I said that would be good cause a 22 wont shoot that far . He pulled off a round . I said see it didnt get there. the crow fell. There was no way to measure but it had to be 500yds.
Here is one that many of you have done.
Striking the old country matches.
I shot one and some how shot the whole head off about where the color starts. We were sticking them in the cracks of boards on the woodshed. Anyway that one set the woodshed on fire. It flew off into the back and about 1/2 later the shed was smoking

Dave Bulla
09-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Funny I should see this today....

I just got back from the local range where I had the boys out shooting several different 22 rifles. One of them is a Mauser Patrone with a vintage Kahles 6X Mignon scope on it with the old German vertical post and cross bars. I shot an 8 shot group at 20 yards that was just one hole and another 6 shot group that was one hole and one pulled out about 1/8". But that's not the shooting I'm talking about yet. At the end of the day when shooting the last target I got bored and decided to pick something on the dirt backstop to shoot at. This part of the range goes out to 50 yards and the dirt berm is about 10 to 15 yards back from there and slopes away. I shot 2 or 3 into the dirt at various clods but then notice that up in the grass higher up there was a single dandelion in the puffball stage. I thought "what the heck, lets see what I can do." I put the top of the post on the top edge of the dandelion and squeezed one off. I guess I cut the stem because it just kinda fell down about 4 inches and lay there! Cool! I shot again and didn't see anything then on the third shot, I must have hit the nub in the center because it just all fell apart. This rifle really shoots good.

Best shot on a critter was with the same rifle. Shot a groundhog at 127 steps off hand and hit him between the eye and the ear.

NickSS
09-21-2011, 06:08 AM
four week ago I was practicing shooting metallic Silhouettes at 200 yards at my club. I was shooting Kimber 82 Gov target rifle on which I have a Nikon 2.5 to 14.5 X scope. I was shooting small bore hangun chickens (about 4 inch triangle with a head and a tail). I knoked down 10 out of 10 and switched to pigs. The first pig I saw what looked like a bullet mark on it but my spotter told me it was a fly. So I jokingly told Him I would try a head shot. Well I broke the shot and the bullet hit right where the fly was. My spotter told me that I had hit it but he was not sure where. Well we could not tell as the bullet splatter had blown said fly to fragments all over the place. It was a lucky shot but my Kimber is a good shooter.

legend
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
as a boy hunting rabbits i jumped a mallard off a pond,aiming for his head i shot both eyes out,he crashed into a tree and i had supper.probably about 30 yards with my 22.

contender1
09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I have two very cool shots with a 22 RF. One, I was around 13-14 at the time. I had an old cedar arrow with the tip broken off. I stuck it in the ground, and backed off a ways, and drilled a hole through it. It was a bit off center, but it had wood all around it.
Next, again about 25 yrs ago, on a training exercise, and survival situtation, (in an approved area,) I was in a canoe in a swamp, when we came out into an open area. About 85 yds away, while seated in a canoe, I shot a deer in the neck, on purpose, for survival meat. The guy with me swears it was closer to 100 yds, but I think 85 was more realistic. We ate good that night & the next few days.

inkedbylee
09-21-2011, 02:07 PM
i have one more to add to this and x101airborn can back this one up and i still have the target. I would say it was back in 2002 befor we left for the big sand box. anyway i had picked up a neoe's from your gun shop and thay had the little cci targerts you raped around a soda can thay had a little groundhog on it he told me to shoot it with no sights after some masking tape i had no sights we put them out at 25yards and i fired 10 shoots well only three hit but one was right in the face and i dont thing i can make the shot with sites anymore but good times all the same.

Mk42gunner
09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
The year after I graduated high school, a friend and I went rabbit hunting on his Cristmas vacation. For three days we had kicked a rabbit out of one brushpile that he missed with his bolt action magazine fed .22. The fourth day I had him kick the rabbit out and I drilled a perfect heart shot on the run with my single shot (he had been thinking his was better because of the magazine).

A few years before that I shot a squirrel that was facing me with a CCI .22 Short HP at about 40-45 yards. I found the bullet in an almost perfect mushroom under the skin of his rear leg, I had that bullet in the misc. box for a long time.

Robert

Jim
09-21-2011, 03:50 PM
When I was a teenager, a friend and I went camping on an island in the salt marshes along a river near Charleston, SC. My buddy and I got hold of a couple bottles of Boone's Farm Wild Mountain to take with us and by 11 PM, we were havin' a good ol' time.

I had brought along a single shot .22 rifle and a pocket full of ammo. About 600 yards or so across the Stono River was a lighted day marker on the far side of the channel. There were no houses on the other side, so what the heck, right?

After about ten shots or so, the light went out. When we loaded the boat the next morning to leave, we rode across the river to look at the light. Sure enough, right through the middle of the lenses was a bullet hole.

I always figured that was the luck shot of a life time.

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Almost 40 years ago, my boys were cub scouts and my late wife was a cub leader. I got roped into becoming the Venturer leader (14-18yr olds).

Two of the boys were into shooting, so I took them to my uncle's farm and we went out spotlighting. We were driving along a track which came up to a treeline along a creek. A big roo burst out of the scrub and ran in front of the ute. I was inside the cab with my cousin driving and the boys were up top, armed with a 22 semi auto rifle and a pump shotgun. The boys laid into the roo and dust was flying off his coat where the boys were hitting him, but he bolted, turning left along the other side of the treeline and disappearing. My cousin stopped and said the roo would re-appear on the side of the hill. He knew the lay of the land and a couple of minutes later, sure enough the big roo appeared and started to head back in the direction where we had just come from. I lined him up with my Winchester bolt 22LR, led him by a few feet and aimed a foot or so high, shot and followed through properly and the roo piled up in a heap. My cousin said, 'not a bad shot, where were you aiming?' I said 'his head, but I led him by a few feet and a foot or so high.' We walked up to it and there was a bullet hole in the side of his head and he was as dead as a door nail. We paced it out and it was 170 paces or thereabouts form memory. We had to go down the hill, cross the little creek and up a hill, so I suppose it was 125 yards or so. A great shot and I wil take the memory to the grave.

I was doing an awful lot of shooting at the time, long range rifle every Saturday, hunting rabbits around the back of the hospital a few nights a week with my air rifle, etc. It was a lucky shot, but as Elmer Keith said, 'the more you practice, the luckier you will get!'

doubs43
09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
England, 1986. I was shooting at the Viking Pistol Club near Wickham Market, Suffolk, with my Erma ESP-85 target pistol from the shooting shed at 20 yard bullseye pistol targets when I noticed a grey squirrel at the far end of the range. The squirrel hopped up on a railroad cross-tie and scurried to the left end. The distance was about 80 yards. I knelt down and braced myself. Elevating the sights to where I guessed they should be, I squeezed off a shot. Either I was very lucky or the squirrel was very unlucky as it was a perfect lung shot.

Rio Grande
09-23-2011, 11:33 AM
There I.....oops, I mean, Back in the day, we used to shoot at bottles. Well, it was my dad's property and back where he tossed all the trash and he didn't care.

75 stepped off yards, offhand with a Smith Model 18, using .22 short. One shot, broke one of those old, small Coke bottles. That was fun beccause there were people watching.
But we shot the heck out of that revolver, shooting every day.
Years later, on the dawn of civilization, a Deputy Sheriff showed up and asked us to stop.
Now you can stand there and see the buildings of downtown Houston.
(My dad used to shoot with his friends on the banks of Buffalo Bayou, about a mile or two from downtown Houston.)

Rio Grande
09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
When I was a teenager, a friend and I went camping on an island in the salt marshes along a river near Charleston, SC. My buddy and I got hold of a couple bottles of Boone's Farm Wild Mountain to take with us and by 11 PM, we were havin' a good ol' time.

I had brought along a single shot .22 rifle and a pocket full of ammo. About 600 yards or so across the Stono River was a lighted day marker on the far side of the channel. There were no houses on the other side, so what the heck, right?

After about ten shots or so, the light went out. When we loaded the boat the next morning to leave, we rode across the river to look at the light. Sure enough, right through the middle of the lenses was a bullet hole.

I always figured that was the luck shot of a life time.

An honest man!
Kids do, uh, 'ill-advised' things sometimes. Like drinking Boone's Farm.
But that shot reminds me of Elmer Keith...."(Keith) also adds in the competition section of the book that if you are very nervous about the match "take a drink of whiskey to calm your nerves".
And I remember reading in a book of his where he made a fine long range shot after a shot or two of a friend's 'lightnin'.
Not that I suggest anyone do the same...

shooterg
09-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Maybe not the best but memorable - age 13 , new Ruger Super Single Six with the .22 magnum cylinder(in a western rig). Walking to Gramps house from ours , 2 groundhogs doing the wild thing right in the path. Shot the female, male didn't even notice ! Then put one in his ear - what a way to go .

Hardcast416taylor
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
As a teenager back on the family farm I did a lot of .22 shooting both on targets and on varmits. I had a "town kid" that hung around with me and that I had taught to shoot. We were squirrel hunting on a weekend in mid-Oct. as I recall. We were walking across the headlands of a chopped off corn field that had lots of oak trees bordering the field. I saw a grey squirrel stick his head up with an acorn off at a decent distance. I told my friend to take the shot, he had a scope on his Rem. M 552. He couldn`t see the squirrel even when the squirrel sat up again. Finally in frustration I raised my old Rem. M550 with only iron sights and shot at the top of the squirrels head and said "he`s right THERE"! My shot caught the squirrel right in the ear hole! The squirrel jumped into the air, now my friend saw him. We paced the distance to the dead squirrel and got a distance of 105 paces. My friend never doubted my word after that shot nor my ability to make a difficult shot.Robert

Shooter6br
09-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Shooting a chuck under neighbors shed at 35 yrd with a Rem 514 with Simmons Mag 22 AO scope without the neighbor at work knowing it ( A tree hugger)

RU shooter
09-23-2011, 04:55 PM
About ten yrs ago when our shop was located in an old run down former Westinghouse building we had a severe pigeon invasion inside the building in the rafters.everything was getting covered with dodo.Since I was the only "gun nut" that worked there I was tasked with job. I showed up the next morning an hour early with "ole bessy" an old western field single shot and 25, 22 shorts I made into flat points . The boss showed and turned on the lights and we walked to the dead center middle of the shop and he says" dont miss and shot a hole in the roof" ,I loaded and began firing as fast as I could reload. "Those dirty birds were falling from the sky like rain" said my boss, when the smoke and feathers cleared the air in a almost perfect circle lay 25 pigeons.

Mumblypeg
09-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I have several but let me say that I have missed many I should have made...
In about 1970 something my longtime friend from highschool and I were in his yard in the country and I had a Ruger 10-22 with a Weaver 4x scope on it. A meadowlark was sitting in the top of a pine tree about 125yards away. I told him I always make head shots, lets see what I can do with that. I asked was there anything over in that direction that I didn't want to hit and he said no. I touch it off and the lark fell out of the tree. We walked up to the tree and found the bird on the ground underneth the tree... the back side of his head was gone.
Another friend and I were just out of highschool about 72 or 73 and riding down a country road one summer night after a rain and the steam was rising from the pavement. He was driving and I was on the passinger side with the window down. In my right hand was a Ruger mark1 bullbarrel pistol that was hanging out of the window. We were doing about 45mph when the headlights lit up a toad in the road. I started to say"watch this "but only got out "watch" when I squeezed off the shot. Now I was upright in the seat and my hand was outside the car so I was just pointing it around the windshield. The toad just dissapeared as the bullet struck him. We had to stop the car on the side of the road as we were laughing so hard he couldn't drive.
The friend who's yard I was in when I shot the meadowlark and I were at a range another time and he pulled out a Sterling .22 auto pistol, the little one with no sights but just rails on the top to sight down and holds 6 rounds. At that time I wasn't much for pocket pistols but he showed me that one and I asked"How's it shoot?" He says"Not bad". We had placed a drink can on a post at 100yards earlyer and I raised the gun, looked down the rails, aimed a little high and touched it off... the drink can flopped off the post and hit the ground. I just handed the gun back to him and said "Yea, it does shoot good." Both knowing that I couldn't do that again.:)

smkummer
09-24-2011, 04:40 PM
My 12 year old son shot a gopher (Richardson's ground squirrel) at either 63 or 68 paces. It was on a cow pasture in N. Dak. with a Colt 22 bolt action single shot rifle with open sights. We would drive the pasture with a old Chevy Caprice station wagon and the windows rolled down with most shots at about 20-30 yards. If you sucked your lips together it made a noise somewhat like the gophers and they would lift their heads up a little more until you had enough to make the shot. Lots of fun and the rancher welcomed us eveytime we knocked on the door to shoot.

Multigunner
09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
I was aiming at a crow in a tree top about 125+ yards away. That would have been a decent shot but nothing to brag about. The kicker is that just as I tightened up on the trigger the crow spotted a reflection from my scope lens and instinctively sprang from the limb and dived for the bright object. As I fired the crow basically dove striaght into the path of the bullet, taking the slug right between the eyes.
So thats my Jed Clampett shot, hitting a crow on the wing right between the eyes at 125 yards with a Glenfield .22 Carbine and cheap 4X Tasco scope.

That little rifle was wonderfully accurate though, and I used Winchester target grade ammo that gave 100 yard groups of less than an inch if there was no wind.

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I was aiming at a crow in a tree top about 125+ yards away. That would have been a decent shot but nothing to brag about. The kicker is that just as I tightened up on the trigger the crow spotted a reflection from my scope lens and instinctively sprang from the limb and dived for the bright object. As I fired the crow basically dove striaght into the path of the bullet, taking the slug right between the eyes.
So thats my Jed Clampett shot, hitting a crow on the wing right between the eyes at 125 yards with a Glenfield .22 Carbine and cheap 4X Tasco scope.

That little rifle was wonderfully accurate though, and I used Winchester target grade ammo that gave 100 yard groups of less than an inch if there was no wind.

It is good when you get champagne performance at beer prices!

badbob454
09-25-2011, 04:31 AM
my brother shot at easily 250 yards a squirrel in the ear sitting on a fence post he laid on the ground with a 22 and a 4 power cheap scope we bet bill he couldnt hit it , it dropped instantly we thought it ran down the post , as we couldnt hardly see it .. walked out to check it , right in the ear on the side of the head i could see hitting it with a good varmit rifle but a 22 wow ...

crabo
09-25-2011, 10:21 AM
I was always fairly good at hitting things from the hip with my 10/22. I was sitting in a lawn chair, leg crossed with the rifle across my leg. There was a big sunflower about 35 yards away. I bet my buddy I could clip the stalk. I did. Better to be lucky than good.

Dave Bulla
09-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Just thought of another one that's kinda funny...

Years ago, just after getting engaged to my wife, I ended up living with her and her family for a while. I had an Anschutz model 64 22 and used to walk out behind their place to shoot rabbits with it. About the same time, I started noticing cat tracks all over the hood, window, roof etc of my car. They didn't own a cat so we figured it was a stray. Well, one day when I was getting back to their house, (actually a trailer on a foundation with an addition off one side) this black cat comes out from under my car and streaks towards the trailer. I just whipped up and snapped a shot looking over the top of the scope. Now, I used to practice that stuff years ago just out of boredom and actually found it to be pretty easy to hit just gapping off the muzzle like you would an arrow when shooting a bow with no sights. When I shot, the cat kinda swerved and ran under the trailer. I saw dust kick up behind it and I figured I'd missed. That thing was really moving out!

Fast forward about a week...

I went in the bedroom I was using and thought I smelled a faint whiff of something dead. Figured it must be a mouse or something. Next day it's a little stronger. Day after that it's pretty obvious and my fiance notices it and comments. Of course, I've got no clue right? In another day or so it seems to be coming out of the floor vents for the AC. By day 5 or 6, it's getting pretty bad everywhere in the trailer and we're taping paper over the floor vents. Each day is exponentially worse than the day before! Back on about day 3 or so, I'd started wondering if maybe I'd hit that cat after all... But I thought, nah... it was moving too fast and I just snapped one in the general direction. What are the odds?

Day 7 and EVERYONE is suffering, father and mother-in-law are going nuts trying to figure out what's up. General consensus is that some animal has died under the trailer....duh! I offer to crawl under and look around a bit because I'm just a nice guy right? No dead critters or kittys to be found but there are two places where the fiberboard over the outside of the floor joists is falling down almost to the ground... Makes a nice little ramp for critters to walk up and get into the actual floor area. I look and look, shine a light but can't see anything. Being as this is in SW Arizona, I'm a bit concerned about snakes, scorpions etc. After a good while, I give up.

Two days later, my fiance's dad goes under and starts pulling down floor covering and finds "something big, black and fat with short little legs like a piggy bank" up under the floor. That darned cat all swelled up and ready to pop! He gets it into a garbage sack and hauls it away to the relief of everyone in the house. Meanwhile, I keep mum but a year or two later (after the wedding) I come clean and we all got a good laugh. That story still comes up most times we get back there for a visit.

It really was a pretty good shot....

WILCO
09-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I still remember in the cold morning air the steam of Dad's breath on the back of my neck saying OH S--T.

Great story!! Thanks for the laugh. :grin:

I once tapped a red squirrel as he came down the tree head first.
Shot number one made him freeze. Shot number two had him doing a hollywood western bad guy drop to the ground. When I got to him at the base of the tree, I noticed two little holes almost touching right behind the ear......[smilie=1:

Ironnewt
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I have a High Standard Supermatic Trophy that I use for Bullseye and am practicing for an upcoming match. At the 50 yard line I put a 12 gauge empty on top of the frame. Hit it with the first shot. The practice didn't do any good at the match though.

x101airborne
09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
last deer season I took my mother and my wife to the deer stands to hunt and I took a browning buckmark carbine to a stand that overlooked a feeder at 50 yards to shoot some corn robbin squirrels. I was trying some aguila sub sonic pistol ammo (not the 60 grain kind). Most were one shot kills, but the last one, I shot that guy 6 times. He would just move a little and look around. It was like I was missing, but I knew I wasn't. I kept moving the sights to try to compensate like the scope was off. I finally quit shooting and he fell over. I recovered the 8 dead squirrels I had there and the last one was perforated all over the head and upper chest. I have never understood why he was so hard to kill even though he had two through the head!! Nothing to do with a lucky shot, but one of my most memorable.

KCSO
09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
But my best shot WAS a bull! But here's my second best.

At the age of 15 ANYTHING is possible. Larry and I were out shooting with our 22's and we had just about done in our ammo supply for the week we were down to on solitary 22 short when we spotted the owl that had been taking chicks from the farm yard. There he perched in the top of an old cottonwood just about 200 yards away. I looked at Larry and then at the 22 short he was holding out in his hand, "Bet you can't hit him". I cranked open the bolt on my new Remington 514 and slid the tiny shell home, "how far away do you suppose he is"? "Oh must be 40 rods or more" (farm kids talk 200 yards or so to you city kids). "How high do you think I should hold"? "Oh a good ways ove him I'd say". So I put the bead between his eyes and then raised up about a foot over his head and let fly. Pop, "Ya missed him"! and then as we watched the big old owl slowly spins off the perch and drops to the ground, whupm. We pace it off as best we can and figure the shot was at least 200 yards, the bullet took the owl right between the eyes. I took the carcase home and my grandfather gave me a whole box of real LONG RIFLE shells for dumping the owl. A lucky shot, you bet but the thousands of rounds of 22's that went down the barrel of that 22 didn't hurt any either.

By the way this was long ago when owls and hawks were pests and well prior to any legal restrictions.

1Shirt
09-26-2011, 04:44 PM
17HMR on a standing Prairie Dog, at 135yds. via rangefinder, from the bench,
w/9x scope, on a single shot H&R. At the shot, I could see a red spot on the neck, but the dog just sat there not knowing, I guess that it was dead. Took ;8-10 seconds before it just toppled sideways. Hor. ammo by the way.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Four Fingers of Death
09-27-2011, 06:16 AM
17HMR on a standing Prairie Dog, at 135yds. via rangefinder, from the bench,
w/9x scope, on a single shot H&R. At the shot, I could see a red spot on the neck, but the dog just sat there not knowing, I guess that it was dead. Took ;8-10 seconds before it just toppled sideways. Hor. ammo by the way.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Thats one of the best thiings about the 17HMR, it is like watching the action on TV! No recoil.

WILCO
09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
I have never understood why he was so hard to kill even though he had two through the head!!

Just one tough S.O.B! :holysheep

southpaw
09-27-2011, 10:54 PM
I was bird hunting with my father in law. We were walking along a hedge row by a corn field. He started chasing a squirrel with his H&R 410. He was shooting at it some and seemed like he was having a good time so I started walking through the cut cornfield towards a patch of woods. I kept looking back and he was looking for the squirrel to try another shot. I spotted it better than 3/4 the way up one of the trees. I was 70 yards (paced it out) out in the field and had my single six with me and figured what the heck maybe I will scare it and he will see it. I pulled up with it single handed and let his head rest on the front sight and touched of a round. The squirrel fell out of the tree. I didn't believe it so I walked over to were it fell and met my father in law. Sure enough, there it laid with bullet hole through the head.

That has to be my best (read luckiest) shot that I have ever made.

Jerry Jr.

Four Fingers of Death
09-29-2011, 05:22 AM
I was bird hunting with my father in law. We were walking along a hedge row by a corn field. He started chasing a squirrel with his H&R 410. He was shooting at it some and seemed like he was having a good time so I started walking through the cut cornfield towards a patch of woods. I kept looking back and he was looking for the squirrel to try another shot. I spotted it better than 3/4 the way up one of the trees. I was 70 yards (paced it out) out in the field and had my single six with me and figured what the heck maybe I will scare it and he will see it. I pulled up with it single handed and let his head rest on the front sight and touched of a round. The squirrel fell out of the tree. I didn't believe it so I walked over to were it fell and met my father in law. Sure enough, there it laid with bullet hole through the head.

That has to be my best (read luckiest) shot that I have ever made.

Jerry Jr.

It's hard keeping a straight face after shots like that!

lcclower
09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
1983, back before the last oil bust, and I was in the drilling business.
I had a Gold Cup I carried under the seat.
Promoter that we were drilling the well for had a .357 loaded with .38 specials, he was shooting at oil cans in the reserve pit with the .357. I asked him if he had any real ammunition for that 357, rig crew gave me a "woooo!".
So I got my 45 out, shot at the oil can once, hit it low, it flew straight up, I tracked it with the 45, 45 went off again. I hit the can. Lucky accident.
I gained great status in the community, and roughnecks who could break me in two like a cheap pencil were saying "Yes sir" as opposed to "wooo" thereafter.

superior
09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
A clay pidgeon set up at 75 yards with a Remington 241 unscoped. First shot broke half of it off. 2nd shot powdered the other half. offhand.

Suo Gan
09-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I shot a duck in a pond 200 yards off in the head once, even had witnesses. PEEP SIGHTS even called the shot no rest of course! I would not have remembered that, but when I was talking to an old military buddy he reminded me of the shot and said he was completely amazed. I would shoot the pecans off the tree without hurting the nut as a kid. Shot a little striped gopher in the head at 100 yards as a kid the first time I went out with a 22, I think my dad was a little thrilled and a maybe a little jealous as I could always outshoot him with his own guns. I could hit a flipped quarter with my little H&R 922. Lots of practice and a little luck.

inkedbylee
09-29-2011, 10:43 PM
i started this thread not know if it would be a good you or if anyone would evenwright on it but to my shock it seems like a hit so keep them going and keep reading them.

Mumblypeg
09-30-2011, 10:02 PM
OK, I've giving you 3. This is the last one.(Maybe I need to shoot more, haven't made a great one in a while). About sixteen maybe seventeen years ago, I had been playing with one of my Marlin 39A's at 150 yards with iron sights, Redfield receiver on back. A girl I was dating at the time was with me on the back porch at the shooting bench and a rabbit came out of the woods next to the 150yard target. She said "I bet you can't hit that rabbit with iron sights, that being a .22 and all. I said "Well lets see". I cranked the sight back up to where I knew was on at 150 and took aim and the truth is I couldn't see the rabbit through the peep so I had to figger where the rabbit was and then shoot at a spot. Touched it off, the rabbit jumped about 3 feet in the air, hit the ground,kicked three times then was dead as a hammer. She was impressed:wink: Me, I was just glad I hit it because I realy could'nt see the darn thing.

WRideout
09-30-2011, 11:13 PM
The year after I graduated high school, a friend and I went rabbit hunting on his Cristmas vacation. For three days we had kicked a rabbit out of one brushpile that he missed with his bolt action magazine fed .22. The fourth day I had him kick the rabbit out and I drilled a perfect heart shot on the run with my single shot (he had been thinking his was better because of the magazine).

A few years before that I shot a squirrel that was facing me with a CCI .22 Short HP at about 40-45 yards. I found the bullet in an almost perfect mushroom under the skin of his rear leg, I had that bullet in the misc. box for a long time.

Robert

I did almost the same thing while hunting squirrels on the Cumberland Plateau in TN one fall. I was out hunting with a friend, and carried my ancient Rem Scoremaster that I mounted a cheap 4x scope on. I was loaded with 22 shorts. While sitting on a log, I spotted a squirrel looking right at me. I shot and dropped him; amazing how well those shorts penetrate! The bullet ranged completely through from front to back, and stopped under the skin on a hip. Distance was a modest 30-40 yards, offhand.
Wayne

derek45
10-01-2011, 03:19 AM
Years ago we worked with a guy who wasn't into guns

We invited him to come out shooting with us.

as we were unpacking and setting a big dragonfly kept flying back and forth

...back and forth . . . . back and forth

I lifted up my 10/22 and shot

the round sliced his rear-end clean OFF

His front end went down buzzing hard,, with his tail falling a bit faster.

It was complete luck, I was just horsing around.

I turned and the non-shooter with eyes big he said.

"MAN .... YOU GUYS DON'T **** AROUND"

We didn't say a word,....just smiled.

after that, we didn't have any more trouble with straffing dragonflies.

http://wildwildthings.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/emperor-dragonfly.jpg

Quigley284
10-01-2011, 06:50 AM
A good friend of mine and I were out in a dog town after we had filled out on archery speed goats. The rancher had told us that he had more rabbits than dogs. I was using a Contender 22 lr. I had loaned my friend my Citation. I was walking along when all the sudden this rabbit takes off from under this little patch of sage brush. He's running pretty fast as they do when startled, I get the contender cocked, give him a little lead, swing past and let one fly. One shot, one kill. 55 paced yards. We still talk about that trip every so often. Boys being boys. Witness is always a bonus. Mike

autofix4u
10-01-2011, 08:21 AM
One year before deer season a couple of friends of mine asked me to go with them to sight in rifles. We went down to a cornfield that had been harvested and set out 12 full beer cans, 6 at 100 yrds 5 at 150 and one at 300. I let them get started by shooting at the 100 yrd cans that neither one could hit square, just knock down, and when both of them had used up all 20 rnd that they brought I shot . I had also brought only 20 rnds for my Win 94 30-30 wich i prompty used up bustin all of the 150 yrd beer cans and the 3 remaing 100yrd cans.
Jeff then said I bet you cant hit the 300yrd with your 22. I always kept a Wards single shot 22 in the truck, but only had one round in the chamber. So I rest it over the hood of the truck, find the speck thats a can at 300, give what i think to be enough hold over and then a litter more. Well when I squeezed the trigger i didn watch to see if it was a hit or miss, since I had one shot I just went to put the gun back in the truck.
I guess that looked way too cool. both of me friends started yelling and said i had hit it. that shot is still brought up when we get together and I still have the can in the barn.

gnoahhh
10-01-2011, 10:20 AM
About 20 years ago I shot a squirrel out of a tall oak tree at a paced 145 yds. from the base of the tree I was sitting against. Rifle was an M2 Springfield with a little old Fecker 4x scope in Unertl mounts, and Eley Tenex ammo. From using that rifle and ammo in smallbore silhouette competition I knew how much elevation to dial in for 100 meters, but knowing this squirrel was a lot further than that, I hadn't a clue how much more I needed so I dialed in a bunch more and hoped for the best. Bang! Wait a second, wait, it's coming, wait... and a faint smack- and the squirrel fell in slow motion out of the tree. The bullet caught him square in the chest. My buddy came walking over, shaking his head. He told me if I ever need a witness for that story he'll back me up.

The other was the time at a range when I was making my Match Target Woodsman sing by swiss cheesing some empty .22 shell boxes. Another range hound came over and remarked as how that was some fancy shooting at 25 yds. but he'll bet me I can't do it at 50. Well, I bet i could, but I was out of ammo to prove it. Yeah, suuuuure. I scrounged in my range box and found one lone lint covered old .22 short under some junk. I grabbed another empty .22 shell box and walked down and set it on the 50 yd. butt. By now a small crowd had gathered as I slipped that old short into the chamber of the Woodsman. Gulping mightily, I gave it some Kentucky elevation and squeezed it off. Darned if that box didn't topple over, and upon inspection there was a bullet hole smack dead center. Boys, I'm here to tell you I never duplicated that shot before or since, and with a .22 short no less! The beer I won from that bet was especially sweet.

Moral of the stories: even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again!

PB234
10-01-2011, 12:07 PM
When I was about ten I shot my first rimfire. The adults set up two cans with a stick sitting upright out of the top. Idea was to hit the can and if you were up to it just hit the stick. Cans about two feet apart maybe twenty five yards downrange. First shot hit the stick and broke it right out of the can. I didn't mention I was aiming at the can a couple feet away.

crawfobj
10-01-2011, 07:01 PM
I was about 14 and had been out chasing tree rats, etc. with my grandfather's .22. My grandmother came out to join the fun with her 2" barrelled .22 pistol. To strut her stuff, she picked out a branch at the top of a nearby 50' oak tree and cut the thing off with one shot!

Later, I was on my way back to the house with both the pistol and the rifle when one more tree rat "volunteered". I looked at the rifle in my left hand and the pistol in my right and after a brief debate, chose the pistol. The squirrel wasn't far off - maybe 15 yards or so, but I was more than a little surprised when the first shot removed the top of his head!

No one else can hit the broad side of a barn with that thing.

My grandfather taught us how to clean squirrels, and my grandmother would cook all we cleaned. My grandfather would help us with cleaning but refused to eat them - said he'd had all he wanted surviving childhood. Sort of like my aversion to ramen noodle that I developed after surviving college, but on a different scale.

uscra112
10-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I've got a lotta chucks on my place. Garden raiders. This spring I saw one from the bedroom window, halfway up the hill. Grabbed my scoped Marlin 39, which is kept loaded for the purpose, and started out the kitchen door to go around the corner of the house to draw a bead. Two steps from the door I looked over by the chicken shed and darned if there weren't two more on the short grass about 90 - 95 yards away. One snap shot offhand took the first one, levered a new round in as fast as I could and popped the second one before he even figured out what happened to his pal. Like a right-left, duck hunting. They were both dead right there, too, which ain't common with a .22 rimfire at that range. CCI Mini-Mag hollow points. I'll never be so lucky again.

Shooting the hole in a washer was one of Ed McGivern's standard tricks. He would do it with a .38 revolver, too. Legend has it that he rarely missed.

stealthshooter
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
16 years old shooting squirrels. My buddy bet me I couldn't shoot a black bird off the top of a sagebrush off hand. It was 150 yards out and I had my single shot sears .22 with a 4x bushnell on top of it. I knocked him off that sage brush with the first shot. Better to be lucky than good LOL

LAH
10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Redtail hawk, 110 yards, S&W M17, Winchester Hi-Speed HP.

JIMinPHX
10-03-2011, 01:40 AM
My standards may not be as high as some people's, but I've made more than a few that I'm pretty happy about. The first one that comes to mind was one that I made about a year ago, at the end of a bad day hunting. I was out with a Handi in .223 with Iron sights, shooting cast. My buddy had a slicked up .204 Ruger with a big scope on it. We didn't see any game animals all day, so just as we were packing up to leave, we decided to pop a few water bottles. He showed off his hi-dollar rig, then asked to see what I could do at about 150-yards. My first shot missed high. I asked how high. He said about an inch. I said that I was going for the center of the Fry's brand label on the bottle with the next shot. That's just where it hit. It took the F right off of it.

Three44s
10-03-2011, 02:03 AM
On one of my practice sessions at my "lead bank" I spied a ground squirrel spying on my close range shooting progress.

I belly crawled up to the top of the berm and started to estimate the hold over to the rock cliffs where the varmint stood on top of.

I figured it was about 75 yds tops ........... five of those squirrels could be stood side by side on top of the weapon's partridge front sight.

In moment, the squirrel split ..............

.............. and a moment later ................ another one stood up right in the same spot .......

I caught my breath ........... and bang! ........... the squirrel disappeared and ...........

............... then .................... it's tail jumped into view ............ shaking and then withering down.

The weapon:

A lose as a goose Smith and Wesson K22 .......... six inch (mid 50's vintage)

I later lasered that three times and to my astonishment:

101 yds!

Witness's ............. NONE!

Three 44s

Adam10mm
10-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Not as awesome as some others here, but...

I dropped my daughter off at my in laws before work and there was a squirrel in the tree in the driveway. FIL came out with the .22 and popped two of them. He couldn't see the 3rd but I could. He handed me the rifle, I took one step back, lined up the sights on the top of its head and sent it. Miss! The little bugger ran across the tree branch and tried to jump to the other tree. Immediately after I shot I chambered a new round. When I saw him jump I gave him some lead and POW, saw his arms fold in. Shot him in the chest on his fall to the ground.

That was Allison's first hunting trip with Daddy and Grandpa at 3.5 months old. She was in the car the whole event, maybe 2 minutes. LOL

longhorn
10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Summer after I graduated from high school I poured 34,000+ rounds (by actual count!) through a 10/22 and my Dad's High Standard H-D Military. Hey, I had a job and nothing to buy but ammo and cheap gasoline. Lotsa lucky shots show up when you're shooting that many times out in the field. Read McGivern's book, and spent hours and hours shooting at big tomato cans or oil cans (remember those?) tossed up with my left hand. Actually got good enough that 3 hits on an airborne can was relatively routine, 5 was rare! Big empty ranch country, but still dangerous and foolish. Redwing blackbirds were thick, shot lots of 'em on the wing with the 10/22, but missed many, many more. Used to sit by the stock tank dam and shoot at dragonflys on the wing, but probably didn't average one hit for 50 rounds-and they were generally plenty close. Still hoping I didn't drop a bullet into some neighbor's yearling..........

CZGuy
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
My best shot on a live critter was a grackle at 190 yards, one shot, drilled that pest into the dirt!

My best long distance shot was a 10 shot group on a 3.5" steel plate, all shots connected including the first one!!!

The Amateur
10-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I shot a clay mounted on a fence post at ~110 yards off hand with my 10/22 and a red dot sight last weekend.

CZGuy
10-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I forgot to say the 3.5" plate was at 300 yards.:mrgreen:

jblee10
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I was walking an orchard back when I was 15 and got 50 cents a squirrel tail from the owner. A squirrel heard he coming and made the mistake of running directly away from me up a slight hill. Offhand with iron sight I drew a bead on him with my old Ward Western Field bolt action 22lr. Drop him clean with one shot at eighty yards. I know a rising shot is the most natural to make, but I still remember it vividly 35 years later.
More recently I drop a crow offhand at 110 yard with my CZ452 22 magnum. Does that count? That 452 makes more shots than it misses though.

CZGuy
10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I was walking an orchard back when I was 15 and got 50 cents a squirrel tail from the owner. A squirrel heard he coming and made the mistake of running directly away from me up a slight hill. Offhand with iron sight I drew a bead on him with my old Ward Western Field bolt action 22lr. Drop him clean with one shot at eighty yards. I know a rising shot is the most natural to make, but I still remember it vividly 35 years later.
More recently I drop a crow offhand at 110 yard with my CZ452 22 magnum. Does that count? That 452 makes more shots than it misses though.

Ya gotta love a CZ! I have a 455 American and LOVE it.:2_high5:

izzyjoe
10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
i'd have to say the luckiest shot i've ever seen was when i was about 16yrs. two friends and me went to a freinds farm to hunt rabbit, and squirrel. after a couple hours and we were bored, we stared playing around. so we found some soda can's and set them up on the opposite side of a pipeline, it's about 25yds wide. one of my friend was just about to shoot at a can when a crow came flying towards us at about 80yds. he raised the rifle up and basiclly shot from the hip, just playing around trying to scare the crow away. well the crow fell from the sky dead as dead can be. we all looked at each other like B.S. that did'nt just happen. sure enough we found the crow, he was shot right in the brest. i've seen alot of folk's make some very good shot's but that was the luckiest shot i've ever seen.

Chicken Thief
10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
My luckiest shot(s) 5 to be exact.
A converted Swedish 12.7x44R (almost 50-70) made into a hunting rifle in the 1890's with fixed sights. At a long distance shooting in Sweden, target (1mx1.2m~1.1x1.3yds) at 580m~635yds.
A lot of Kentucky elevation (held at the bottom of the red V a natural tree branch) read WAG (wild a$$ guess) and the first shot was a hit! The other 4 shooters said pure luck and no way was i ever going to hit again. Well i hit it 3 times out of 5.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Zoomhjreml2.jpg

Shiloh
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Prairie dogs at distance. 250+ yards. Pawnee Nat'l Grasslands Northeastern Colorado
One has to walk them in as you are dealing with drop and wind. Prairie dogs are curious as heck so even after frightened, they pop back up to see what is going on.

Shiloh

AZ-JIM
10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I was probably 8 or 10yrs old and went with my dad to the shooting range for the day. Dad would give me a box of 22's and tell me to take my time and that would usually last long enough to keep me out of his hair while he did load development or whatever. At this time we spent alot of time at the range so I was getting to be a decent shot, enough that paper punching was boring. I started picking out debris on the range to shoot at, cartridges, pebbles, small pieces of clay pidgeons etc. That got boring too, I spotted a little daisy about 4" tall and took my time, timed my breaths and bang...cut the stem in half, one shot about 15-20yds. I was pretty proud of it and I look over at dad and he had been watching me for a little while apparently, he saw the shot and just shook his head and smiled. This was with a remington 511x or something, my dad bought it when he was 16yrs old, its a very acurate rifle.

Later in life, my wife and I are hunting squirrels, I see one and jump out of the truck and follow it thought the tree tops. The wife is coming behind me with the rifle (this one is a Winchester lever action 22, also very accurate). I look behind me thinking she should have been right there and see her 50 yds away pointing the rifle up in a tree. As I'm wondering what she's doing - bang, and a squirrel falls out of the tree, one shot freehand, that was sexy! Then I got the other one too.

az-jim

Uncle Grinch
10-21-2011, 08:27 PM
I carried my some squirrel hunting many, many years ago, after he got his first 22 rifle, a Winchester 67. I carried my Ruger Single-Six.
I spotted a grey squirrel running on the ground and told my son to watch him so we will know which tall pine he goes up. That's exactly what he did, all the way to the top. My son was having a hard time spotting him as he lay against a limb that must have been 100 feet or better up that pine. "Keep your eyes open son, I'm going to shoot close to him and make him move", I said.
I took careful aim with my Single-Six and fired. The next thing I know that squirrel falls right at out feet... I plugged him in one ear and out the other!

"Dad, I wanted to shoot him!" my son cried out. That had to be my unluckiest best shot I ever accidently made.

waksupi
10-22-2011, 01:36 AM
I carried my some squirrel hunting many, many years ago, after he got his first 22 rifle, a Winchester 67. I carried my Ruger Single-Six.
I spotted a grey squirrel running on the ground and told my son to watch him so we will know which tall pine he goes up. That's exactly what he did, all the way to the top. My son was having a hard time spotting him as he lay against a limb that must have been 100 feet or better up that pine. "Keep your eyes open son, I'm going to shoot close to him and make him move", I said.
I took careful aim with my Single-Six and fired. The next thing I know that squirrel falls right at out feet... I plugged him in one ear and out the other!

"Dad, I wanted to shoot him!" my son cried out. That had to be my unluckiest best shot I ever accidently made.

Theoretically, you missed, because you hit him!

:kidding:

valathar
10-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Now and then I like to go out to the range, throw out a few golf balls, and see how far I can knock them back. From a bench I don't have much problem hitting them at 50 yards with iron sights, and 100 yards with a scope though that gets to be a challenge.

I had knocked one back from 100 yards, to maybe 110 or so yards... and hit it a really good solid whack that got it out to 150 yards after that with a scoped Savage Mk II with a sporter barrel... which shoots a lot more accurately than a $200 dollar gun has any business shooting.

At 150 yards I wasn't quite sure how much drop I would need to account for, so I took a ranging shot and came up short, raised up a bit, and nailed the golf ball at 150 yards. Don't get too impressed, it was from a bench, with a scope, and probably involved a lot more luck than skill :)

That Savage Mk II is the rifle that really taught me how to shoot, love it, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Char-Gar
10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
In 1963, the were a college break and I returned home for a few days. I went out to the Rio Grand River to my favorite shooting spot. It was safe to there in the old days, and we used Mexico for a back stop.

I had a Smith and Wesson K-22 in a holster made for me by the Alpine Saddle Shop in Alpine, Texas. I was plinking a some reads stock out of the sandy bank on the Mexican side, without much success, when a Border Patrol jeep pulled up. They had noticed my tracks in and came to take a look see. It was common for them to do that.

The Patrolman sat and chatted for a while and asked me if I could shoot that pistol I had. I gave him my best John Wayne single word answer.."some". I then pointed to a particular reed on the sandy Mexican bank and when he was focused on it, I drew and fired one shot from the hip, that cut it cleanly in half.

Nobody was more surprised than me, and I had no hope of getting more than three feet from it. I could have stood there and fired a couple of cases of ammo and never hit it again. It was just a fluke.

No daring to shoot again, I holstered the pistol and unbuckled the belt and told him it was time to go as my Grandmother would be expecting me for lunch, and off I drove. When I left, he was still standing there, staring off into Mexico with a puzzled look on his face.

You asked for the best no BS 22 story and there it is. I freely admit it was not skill but dumb luck.

gnoahhh
10-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Another dumb luck story was the time I shot a crow out of the air at about 75 yards. I was 16-17 years old and had an after school/weekends job as the clean up boy at the local slaughterhouse. One snowy Saturday afternoon, after everybody had gone home, my buddy and I were steam cleaning the kill floor. Up by the kill pen the guys kept an old Ithaca M49 .22 singleshot for killing big boisterous bulls (smaller animals were stunned). That rifle had about ten years of crud and corruption on it. Bored boys being boys, my buddy challenged me to use the rifle out the window at a flock of crows on the ground. By the time I got the window open and the rifle loaded (with the spatterless .22's they used), the crows took off. I singled one out, led it by goodness knows how much and slapped the trigger. Down it fell. My buddy swore I shot it on the ground (which would have been a darn good shot in itself). The proof was the drips of blood in the snow, about 20 feet worth, from where the crow bled out as it crashed. We were both stunned. About then the foreman showed up. Seems he hadn't gone home yet and heard the shooting...

dk17hmr
10-31-2011, 01:51 PM
In high school a buddy and I were out by the pond behind my parents house shooting at those little black birds that never stop chirping. After about 20 minutes of shooting I put a 22 shot shell in the chamber of my Henry and knocked one of those little birds out of the air....my buddy saw me do it and couldnt believe I had shot one while it was flying, I never did tell him it was with a shot load.

Same buddy, we were out squirrel hunting in the middle of no where and a crow was circling above, I pulled up my Henry lever 22 and shot hitting (with a federal bulk pack HP) him in the chest and sending him like a rock back to the ground.....honest dumb luck there

tuckerdog
10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Two come to mind, One with my grandpa stevens model 15 shot the primer out of a 20ga shotshell at 15yds using a short, won 50 cents on that one.
the other was when I had timeto shoot every day and would regularly knock ground hogs at 235 ranged yds with 10-22 carbine. from back porch to fenceline

Dave18
11-29-2011, 09:30 PM
was yrs back with a mossberg 144 target 22, with a old weaver 10x on it,

was playing around in our pit, and someone brought up about that can sitting out there about 200yds out,

and saying your on,

and rolling it off the wall, on the first try, [smilie=w:

abunaitoo
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I once hit a fly at 100yds with my Rem 513, 15x (I think) Unertl scope, off the bench.
Saw it land in the white of the target and thought "why not".
I figured I missed it untill I went to patch the target and saw splater and legs around the hole.
It was a big fly. I think their called horse flies.
Pure luck. Probably never be able to do it again.

451 Pete
12-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I once hit a fly at 100yds with my Rem 513, 15x (I think) Unertl scope, off the bench.
Saw it land in the white of the target and thought "why not".
I figured I missed it untill I went to patch the target and saw splater and legs around the hole.
It was a big fly. I think their called horse flies.
Pure luck. Probably never be able to do it again.

I have the same scope mounted on a Martini International MK II bench .22 . Did the same thing with a fly at the local club last year at 100 yds. It did take three shots, the fly cooperated and stayed on the target.
I brought the target home and showed it to the wife. She says " Whats that around that hole " I said " I hit a fly at 100 yds!" She says " You mean you brought home a target to show me fly guts? "

You ever wonder how a puppy feels when he drags back home a week old dead rabbit? I think I have a pretty good idea.

Pete

higgins
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I didn't make the shot, but I witnessed it. Back in the 60s when we were in college, three of us were shooting aerial targets with a .22 rifle back when the countryside was sparsely populated enough to do such things. One of my friends was getting full of himself with his marksmanship ability. Now this guy, who is still my best friend, shook like a chihuahua when he tried to hold a rifle offhand. So I said something like "if you're such a great shot, shoot that cardinal down there in the fencerow" which was nothing but a hazy red spot at waaaay over 100 yards. Well, ole shaky raised the rifle, without hesitation fired a shot offhand, and about two seconds later the cardinal dropped straight to the ground. To this day, I haven't seen such a lucky shot duplicated. We still talk about that shot, which none of us could have duplicated off a benchrest with a scoped .22 target rifle.

Reload3006
12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
dont know if it was luck or skill but the absolute best or luckiest .22lr shot I ever made was target shooting at 25yds and a fly landed on the paper my buddy that was spotting for me said shoot that fly. I did. LOL didn't dream in a thousand years i'd hit it ... LOL But I did. My buddy quit spotting and said thats It I'm done LOL.

inkedbylee
12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
funny about the fly right now the targets im shooting you can pick them up at walmart thay are call fly paper thay have 19 fly's on it i would say thay are about the size of a horse fly. Anyway the gun shop has a 25 yard indoor range so if i get time i run up and shoot just to play. The score on the paper is 30pt for a body 40pt for a wing and 50pt for the head shot. as it stands right now im shooting 18 out of 19 with head shots. Im shooting a savige mark II toped with a BSA sweet 22 scope, remington sub-sonic ammo. Even the oner of the shop cam down and played with it and loved the hole thing best part is i have about 350.00 into the gun. still dont know if the rifle is just shooting that good or its me i think its the gun lol but ill take it.

zardoz
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Easy question, as I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Montgomery Wards 22LR, a WesternField semi-auto I believe, given to me by my grandmother. Unfortunately, it was stolen from me a few years later.

I was 14 years old, just walking through a Texas Panhandle field of yucca and mesquite. A jackrabbit appeared, and took off at full speed run. It was maybe 30 yards away, running at almost right angle to my path. I led the rabbit by just a bit, aiming just ahead of his nose. This was just iron sights, notch and post. Pulled the trigger, and got the rabbit solid through the chest. Instant kill. This from standing position. A shot far more suited to a shotgun, much less a 22LR.

This happened a little over 41 years ago, and from that day on, knew I could hunt and get meat.

Of course since then, my eyes have gone progressively more near-sighted and stigmatic. Now I need a 3 power progressive lense just to read. Since then, my reaction time has slowed, and my coordination has not improved either. I doubt seriously I could repeat that, as now rock solid bench rest, and fixed targets give me fits.

But, I'll never forget that shot those many years ago.

luna butte
12-06-2011, 04:55 AM
i remember making three fairly impressive shots with my "Wards Western Fielder" bolt action 22 on the same day.

i shot a mud duck out of the air as it made its approach to land in the creek only i was also in the creek and he had to come straight over my head. ... my brother scoffed and said aw that wasn't to bad.

later that afternoon we snuck up on a big ol pond south of my dads house and my brother says "if you can hit another duck i'll go get it for you" so i crawled down to the water and waited for three of them to line up and make a bigger target before i squeezed the trigger. they must have been 150 yrds or better you should have seen his face when one of the three simply put his head in the water and began turning circles while the other 2 took flight. i really laughted my guts out as he stripped off his clothes and waded out to retreive my duck.

but before he could get back to bank i noticed a doe that had been hiding in an old well house pokeing her head out the window watching my neked brother carrying a duck. she was all of 75-100 yards out with only her head and neck sticking out of the glassless window, but i was on that day so i wacked her in the neck.

i have never seen my brother so ticked off as when he got back out of that pond soaken wet only to realize that we now had to gut a deer and drag her all the way home with 2 ducks in our pants.

i was 15 years old at that time and i would darn sure feel comfortable taking each of those shots today with that ol junker gun i got.

LAH
12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
i remember making three fairly impressive shots with my "Wards Western Fielder" bolt action 22 on the same day.

i shot a mud duck out of the air as it made its approach to land in the creek only i was also in the creek and he had to come straight over my head. ... my brother scoffed and said aw that wasn't to bad.

later that afternoon we snuck up on a big ol pond south of my dads house and my brother says "if you can hit another duck i'll go get it for you" so i crawled down to the water and waited for three of them to line up and make a bigger target before i squeezed the trigger. they must have been 150 yrds or better you should have seen his face when one of the three simply put his head in the water and began turning circles while the other 2 took flight. i really laughted my guts out as he stripped off his clothes and waded out to retreive my duck.

but before he could get back to bank i noticed a doe that had been hiding in an old well house pokeing her head out the window watching my neked brother carrying a duck. she was all of 75-100 yards out with only her head and neck sticking out of the glassless window, but i was on that day so i wacked her in the neck.

i have never seen my brother so ticked off as when he got back out of that pond soaken wet only to realize that we now had to gut a deer and drag her all the way home with 2 ducks in our pants.

i was 15 years old at that time and i would darn sure feel comfortable taking each of those shots today with that ol junker gun i got.

Great story, smiles all round. And after all, what are big brothes for?

MBTcustom
12-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I was 19 and was driving around the dirt roads in one of the local WMAs after an unsuccessful morning of hunting and not seeing a single squirrel. I was looking for a good spot for the evening hunt and just enjoying myself, when off to my right I spotted a flicker of movment in a tree out in the middle of a field. I pulled over and slipped my dads speedmaster out of the truck. I was going to walk out into the field and see what was up there, (I just knew it was a squirrel). I checked the rifle to make sure it was loaded and when I looked up, I saw the squirrel, plain as day walk out on a limb and just sit there. It was silhouetted against a soft blue sky and looked like a black steel target. I pulled the rifle to my shoulder, and judged the distance as being about 75 yards, took a full bead instead of my usual fine bead, and squeezed off the shot. I watched the squirrel stiffen and fall out of the tree, neck shot.

By the way, I was witness to the shot made by The Amateur on page 4. Truly amazing. I think I was the only one to see it and he didn't know that I saw it. It was, offhand with a souped up 10-22 and a red-dot sight. Broke a 1 1/2" clay target, at a measured 100 yards. Certainly one of the best shots I have ever seen.

Hang Fire
12-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Total fluke I know, but with a Win 22 pump once did a head shot on a pheasant at bit over 200 yards out in the middle of an alfalfa field.

Hang Fire
12-08-2011, 12:33 AM
7 Grouse out of one tree. Started at the bottom and worked my way up.

Bet they were fool hens, AKA spruce grouse.

400short
12-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Not me, but the luckiest shot I ever saw.... A bunch of us kids were walking along the bank of lake Ontario after hunting ducks when B.W. came walking up to visit. He was carrying a .22. Just then a Merganser flew by at full speed about 60 yards out. Bruce hollers WATCH THIS!

rockrat
12-10-2011, 09:21 AM
My best was about 35 years ago, when I was in my early 20's. One of my best friends and I were on going across one of his neighbors pond dam. I had my Ruger MKI 22 pistol. He looked out over the pond and saw a dragonfly (my, we had good eyesight then!!) and told me to shoot it. About 30 yards, flying across the pond.

Took the safety off, took aim and shot. He said I missed, but I told him, "look at the wings fluttering in the air, no I didn't"

Reload3006
12-11-2011, 09:56 PM
the best 22 shot I ever heard of that I knew to be true. My my great uncle came to visit my grandfather he asked my grandmother to fix some chicken n dumplings she said she would be happy to and told him to go out and shoot a chicken and dress it. My uncle said he was with him and when he shot evidently there were two chickens in line because he shot two chickens right through the head. LOL I dont know if my grandmother ever got over it. She certainly didnt believe it but my Uncle swears it to be true. LOL My grandmother has been gone for many years now and my Uncle still swears that it was not on purpose.

kennyb
12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Luckist shot I ever saw was my brother shoot a pigoen off a railroad bridge at 300 plus yards with a .22, he was always doing stuff like that......great memories

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Back when I was stationed in Maine, I was at a friend's house getting ready to eat dinner at his house in the military housing complex. I kept my rifle at his house so I didn't have to keep it in the armory. The housing complex was located next to a large undeveloped wooded area. My friend spied a rabbit that had turned white, before the snows hit, in the yard behind his house. As I went to get the rifle, the rabbit spooked into the woods and stop between two trees. My friend told me it too late, that the rabbit was too far. I found out after it was all over that the rabbit was 87 yards away. So being from the south, I had to protect my southern honor and prove to the yankee that if "I could see the rabbit, I could hit it." I slid the kitchen window open and squeezed off a round. I saw the rabbit jump and fall over. My friend said he couldn't believe that I hit it. I then proceeded to tell him, "Not only did I hit it, I shot it's eye out". I didn't think I shot it in the eye, I was just blowing smoke. When we got to the rabbit, I discovered that I had shot it right above the eye on the side facing me. My friend proclaimed "That was great shot". But when I rolled the rabbit over, the bullet exited through the other eye. That's when I informed my friend that "Anyone can hit the eye that can be seen, but it takes talent to hit the eye that you can't see."

koehlerrk
12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Best one wasn't actually me pulling the trigger... it was my then 12 year old daughter. Loudmouth at the rifle club was shooting at clays on a board at 100 yards with his AR, was averaging 10 rounds per clay he broke. One left, and he had emptied his magazine. My daughter looked at me with "that look"... yeah, she knew she could do it, I was the nervous one. She dropped one shell in her Savage MkII, dropped to her knee, aimed, fired, and broke that last clay with one shot.

So, I know I didn't make the shot, but I did teach her how to shoot.

Artful
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Best one wasn't actually me pulling the trigger... it was my then 12 year old daughter. So, I know I didn't make the shot, but I did teach her how to shoot.

:drinks:

Can't do better than that.

I'll throw in, it's better to teach someone else to shoot really well then to do it yourself - I find I can make some good shots (not as many now, I'll admit) but I still can feel pride in all the people I taught that are out there shooting safe and well.

Artful
12-23-2011, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2niOykOnI&feature=related
http://www.ecorazzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/shutter_island.jpg

PS: Can anyone tell me the Real Name and Location of this picture. Youll get an Attaboy!

Ya mean it's not Shutter Island outside Boston :mrgreen:

Locations in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Nova Scotia were scouted.[4] Production began on March 6, 2008.[5]
Filming of the World War II flashback scenes for DiCaprio's character, a former soldier, took place in Taunton, Massachusetts.[6] Scorsese filmed the scenes in old industrial buildings in Taunton's Whittenton Mills Complex to replicate the Dachau concentration camp, which was seen in flashbacks.[7] Extras portraying the Dachau prisoners were called back to reshoot a scene in July, because the film of one scene was damaged due to an improperly sealed film shipping container. Scenes were filmed at the old Medfield State Hospital in Medfield, Massachusetts. Scenes in Cawley's office were shot on the second floor of the chapel during the late evening; lights were shone on the windows to make it look like it was daytime. The surrounding brick walls in the outside hospital scenes were actually painted plywood which served the dual purpose of acting as scenery and blocking the set from view of a local road. Originally, scenes were going to be shot at the old Worcester State Hospital, but the filming would have gone on during the demolition of the surrounding buildings, which was impractical. Borderland State Park in North Easton, Massachusetts was used for the cabin scene. Peddocks Island was used as a setting for the story's island and East Point, in Nahant, Massachusetts for the lighthouse scenes.[8] Filming ended on July 2, 2008.[9

Filming locations for
Shutter Island (2010)

Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA

Borderland State Park - 259 Massapoag Avenue, Sharon, Massachusetts, USA

Boston Harbor, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Hull, Massachusetts, USA

Hyde Park, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Medfield State Hospital - 45 Hospital Road, Medfield, Massachusetts, USA

Medfield, Massachusetts, USA

Nahant, Massachusetts, USA

Peddocks Island, Boston Harbor, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Taunton, Massachusetts, USA

Turner Hill Golf and Racquet Club, Topsfield Road, Ipswich, Massachusetts, USA

Whittenton Mills - 437 Whittenton Street, Taunton, Massachusetts, USA

Wilson Mountain Reservation, Dedham, Massachusetts, USA

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/shutter_island/
On the island, there are a number of buildings within the Ashecliffe Hospital on Shutter Island. There’s a Ward A, B, C and D. Most of the buildings are mid-19th century brick buildings, but the one building that houses the most dangerous patients is Ward C. Rather than it being on the main hospital grounds, it’s actually a separate building built as a Civil War fort. It’s been converted into a prison for the criminally insane. So it was actually a little disturbing to be shooting there at three in the morning, especially when the electricity wasn’t working really well!.... The miniature was built in 1/35th scale, which essentially made a person about two and 1/16th inches tall. The model itself of the compound was about eight feet across and the entire tabletop was 16 feet across. Everything you see in the shot that’s foliage or vehicles is actually a miniature. The water was a photographic lock-off that was tracked in for the camera move. All the people were photographed as separate elements. Obviously we couldn’t shoot the people from 300 feet away with motion control, but we pulled it back as far as possible and shot about 65 to 70 takes of live action people walking around with branches and climbing ladders and what not. We had a full scale Jeep that was driving a little bit. Then they had to be photographed on cards and scaled down. We ended up shooting with quite a bit of a longer lens so when we scaled it down the perspective worked. Each one of those people had to be hand tracked in and the camera was high enough for the parallax to work when we re-scaled them. The other trick we did to add some more life to the shot was to put in a construction crane scooping up some tree branches and logs. That was a miniature but the giant claw and foliage was CG, animated by Tony Chen.
http://cdn.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/10Apr/shutter/New_Deal_WardC_Bluescreen_thumb.jpg
http://cdn.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/10Apr/shutter/New_Deal_WardC_Model_1_thumb.jpg
http://cdn.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/10Apr/shutter/New_Deal_WardC_Modelmakers_thumb.jpg

Larry in MT
12-23-2011, 03:29 PM
We used to shoot for hams and turkeys around Thanksgiving and after one shoot I was shooting my S&W Model 17 at a 100 yard paper target from a shooting bench. A 6 shot group went just over a 1/2". I still have the target. That was in 1976. I used cheapy Federal Lightning ammo.

I saw a Badger's head peeking over a burrow and shot it thru the eye with my Model 17 at a lasered 125 yards, resting on the pickup hood.

I still shoot the 17 a lot.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/larrykay47/acf2db30.jpg

L Ross
12-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Went to a iron sight only, any rifle, off hand poultry shoot in the 80's. Ten shooters in a relay, buck and a half a pop for a frozen turkey. I found out which target they used, paced off their range at 60 yards and sighted in my Nylon 66 very carefully and practiced during the week before the shoot. Day of the shoot they post the target with your name on it, you fire your shot, they pull the target, and score everyone's target, closest to the x gets the turkey. I was the second to the last shooter. Last shooter was a Veteran shooting one of those Mossberg DCM bolt guns with a receiver sight. When they score our relay the Vet and I had both pulled an x. This was the first time in all the years they ran this shoot that they'd had anyone hit the x, and here we both had. They called for a shoot off. When I looked at my target I'd clipped on leg off the x, but the Vet had a perfect pin wheel, the x was gone! I shook his hand and declined a shoot off as his shot was clearly the best. I probably could have shot all day from a rest with my 66 to hit another x, I knew I'd gotten both lucky and unlucky at the same time.
Duke

snglstack
01-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Out on the prairie one day with my 12-year-old son we came upon some fellers with a gong at 300 yards, and an apple on top of a fence post right above it. First shot with Colt NF .22 w/71/2 in bbl got the apple...four more onto the gong. Hmm. A prairie dog one day with a Ruger MkI target and the third ranging shot at a long 184 paces (no witnesses to that one, drat it all). BTW, my Rossi 62 is the most accurate of all my rimfires, too (I forget who mentioned one...). And thanks to all of you for your boundless info...

selmerfan
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Coot on the fly at 100 yds or better. And today I picked off a pair of squirrels in the backyard. I patiently waited for them to line up so that the front one's head was directly in front of the back one's shoulder. Squeezed the trigger and they both were toast. The girls can't wait for fried squirrel...

shtur
01-13-2012, 01:39 AM
MY best rimfire shot was with my colt woodsman, found a large copper item which I placed against a stump and shot it with the first shot about 25 yards away. When I picked it up, the other side was cleaner, it turned out to be a 1873 penny, now worth about a penny of copper since being destroyed with the shot.

wmitty
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
My Dad had three older brothers who were shooting at ( and missing) chimney swifts as they flew by late in the evening. Grand Dad came out of the house and asked for the single shot .22 they were using. As a swift flew overhead he raised the rifle and fired, bringing down the small bird. As he turned and handed the rifle to the oldest boy and headed back into the house he told the boys "It ain't the gun".

Maverick
01-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Not my shots, but my sons 4 shot group at 8 years old in the summer of 2010. 4 shots...... 100 yards ...... .17 HMR H&R single shot break over ...... Simmons 3x9 scope. 1-1/4" group with two in the bull.

Daddy was/is VERY proud!!!!

blademasterii
01-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Spent an afternoon shooting with my cousin. After a box or two of ammo I told him to pick any target he wanted and I would hit it. He took two pine needles, stuck them in the sand and then crossed them. Pulled my super single six ruger up and promptly cut them off at the x with the first shot. He just looked at me and shook his head. Same day, same gun he wanted to shoot it. Said no prob, i'll reload it. He looked away and I swapped the .22 for the .22 mag cylinder. He pulled the trigger and was a bit shocked to say the least.

BOOM BOOM
01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
HI,
About 30 years ago , my friends Wade Warner, T.K. Smith & I were out jackrabbit hunting. Wade had a 10/22, T.K had another type of clip fed bolt action 22, & I had a lever action Marlin 22mag.
Wade & T.K. kick up a rabbet & start shooting, I finally see it as Wade goes dry,I get off 2 shots & T.K goes dry. Rabbet is out about 150yds. still in high gear, & T.K. yells give it up. I yell back "Give it up Hell !", squeeze off the shot. A moment later we hear Wap .
Geesh there are times I wish I had not sold that gun.:groner:
Most accurate 22 I ever had.[smilie=b::Fire::Fire:

leadman
01-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Many years ago was hunting with a friend for jacks to feed to his dogs. We were taking a break at the truck when he sees a jack was off just sitting there. He grabs his 10-22 with iron sights and can't come close. Told him to quit wasting ammo and grabbed my LH Rem 581 with 3X9 on it. Held way over the jack, sent a Stinger right thru the head. The ears just kinda flopped to the sides. It was 272 paces. He just shook his head.

Bullshop Junior
01-24-2012, 12:35 AM
First shot that I fired out of my brandnew CZ. Pulled it out of the box, and there was a squirrel sitting on the fence post at the end of the feild (lazered 227 yards from the shop door). first shot, leaned on the door frame, and took his head off. Have made several amazing shots with that rifle over the years Ive had it, but never like that. Hadnt even sighted it in yet (iron sights). Still have the rifle.

madsenshooter
01-24-2012, 03:24 AM
My best was with a 4 1/2 in barreled Ruger auto pistol, it really liked Winchester ammo. Even at 50 yds, with a set of Millet sights on it one could always hit what you were aiming at if you did it right. One windy day I decided to go squirrel hunting with the little pistol. After some time a squirrel on the ground came within range. The shot itself was unremarkable, I was aiming for the head. The squirrel fell dead instantly, like I expected it to. I couldn't for the life of me find an entry hole for the bullet, then I noticed a drop of blood at the back corner of the squirrel's eyelid. The bullet had gone in there without rupturing his eye. Since it was such a windy day, and with me using a pistol, mama expected me to come home empty handed, but I didn't. My brother couldn't believe the shot I'd made with the pistol.

Shome10x
01-26-2012, 07:34 PM
About 26 yrs ago...BF,Todd and I were jack hunting. Using a model 60, open sight I tracked the jack in front of us, but missed. The next time we see the jack it is crossing on an open stubble field ~200 yds away. One shot running and the jack flops....

Funny thing is Todd was always around when I made shots like that.

Man I miss those times, eyesight, rifle, Todd...etc.

Chris in MO

David LaPell
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I would have to think here. I think it would have to be on a beaver back when I was in college. On my days before class or on my days off I was running a trapline at my grandfather's. One day when I was checking the traps at his pond I spotted a pair of beavers at his dam and they spotted me and went under. I was carrying my Colt Woodsman. Both beavers came back up, one about 25 yards out, I put a couple of rounds into him as he swam right to left. The other went down as the shots went out so I could not get him. About five minutes later he came back up about 50 yards out, also swimming right to left. I fired off two rounds and one made a definite THWACK. The beaver went down and came right back up. I was able to get him once more right in the side of the head.

TJD
01-27-2012, 09:19 PM
After High School I attended a Vo-Tech School. Having to work my way through school, I enrolled in the Work-Study program where I ended up on the cleaning detail. One evening, the guys on the cleaning crew began boasting of their shooting abilities. It was decided to take our guns to the school dump and put-up-or-shut-up. Remember, this was in the late 60s in Arkansas, and most pickup trucks had a 22 rifle in the back window. I was the only one without a rifle. I was armed with a small 1958 Beretta semi-auto handgun. Its 2 inch barrel would only chamber 22 shorts. I kept it loaded with short hollow points.
At the school dump, someone propped up a board in front of a dirt pile. We dug thru the ashes of the burn pit for the small soup cans that came from the vending machines. Five cans were lined up on the board. Each shooter was to see how many cans could be knocked off with five shots. Sorry, I don’t remember the distance. Let the fun begin.
I had endured much harassment about what they called my baby gun. They did not intend to allow me to enter into the fun and games. The last rifle guy to shoot only hit one can, and it was the first can on the left. I asked if I could give it a try. One of the guys replaced the target, but his mistake set the stage for my best shot. Instead of a burned soup can, he set the bottom half of a burned Coke bottle on the board.
I fired my first shot at the target on the left, the glass bottle. The hollow point slug must have connected with the thick glass bottom. The exploding glass cleared off all of the other four soup cans. It was an OH MY++++++ moment. Without a word, I put my baby gun in my holster and walked away.
I wish I could take credit for that event. It was not planned. As a matter of fact, I did not know it was glass until it blew up. I just took the first target in line. I just never told any of those guys. Oh, and they never made fun of my little Beretta again. I still have the Beretta, it is now over fifty years old