PDA

View Full Version : Video of my Lee LoadMaster

Ben
09-19-2011, 09:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SnhY91kJ_c

Roundnoser
09-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Nice video! I used to have a Loadmaster. It made good ammo, and its hard to beat Lee's price.

timkelley
09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanx Ben, Good video.

Ben
09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm not too crazy about their priming mechanism, some like it, I've read a good bit of negative about it.

I like to F/L size and clean the primer pockets and re-prime off of the load master. When I fill the tubes, it is with f/l sized cases that have had the pockets cleaned and primed, ready to run though the LoadMaster. Once I get past the " quirks " that I don't care for on the press, the rest is GREAT, I couldn't ask for more. Mine isn't for sale ! !

You can see from the video, if you've got primed brass, bullets, and plenty of powder in the powder measure, it isn't going to take you long to accumulate a sizable amount of loaded ammo.

Ben

44Vaquero
09-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice video Ben! I love my Loadmaster once I got past the quirks. I purchased it the 1st year they were available and never looked back.
I always thought the case collator was very clever and the bullet feed is fun to tinker with on large runs.

seagiant
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi 44,
Ben says he does not use his priming system! That pretty much strikes it off my list of consideration or interest. Do you use yours with the primer?

Ben
09-20-2011, 07:17 PM
That's an interesting photo of the GI holding the MP 44.

seagiant
09-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi Ben,
I used to drink at a bar in my younger days whose owner was a WWII vet and he had 3 of these hanging over the bar! The first assault rifle! Leave it to the Germans everytime!

Yea,that dude looks serious I don't think I would spit in his Cheerios!!!

DLCTEX
09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I use the primer system on mine. I did polish the ramp and use graphite to help primer feed, and keep the primer tray from running empty.

seagiant
09-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info! Let me ask this,what is the difference from the Loadmaster to the Pro 1000???

I found this site that shows how to tweek the primer system :http://loadmastervideos.com/

Ben
09-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Maybe my problem is I didn't try the " tweaking " on the primer feed system of my LoadMaster.
I still like the idea of a clean primer pocket and seating my fresh primers with my Lyman Ram Prime.
Takes longer , but I feel better with the " end product ".

seagiant
09-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Hi Ben,
There's nothing wrong with that, I have 2 PW Metallic II's for reloading pistol and like the option of being able to stop and clean or check a primer pocket. My point with a priming system on a progressive press is that most people buy a progressive because they are in a hurry and the primer system should work!

I find 9MM reloading netelsome (sp) and was just curios about this loader never seeing one before. Being a Marine Engineer,I can't help wondering how something works! Or why it doesn"t!

Ben
09-21-2011, 02:27 AM
seagiant :

I can relate to that, I was a science major in college, why something works or doesn't work has always intrigued me also.

BTW, that is a fine looking PW you have there.

UNIQUEDOT
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I am one of those that don't have have problems with the primer feed on my loadmaster. I haven't had problems with the large that came with it or the small that i purchased separately. It just flat works for me and after studying how it works...i just can't understand why people do have problems with it. I did have to adjust it as i was setting up the machine though. As long as the case retainer in station two is adjusted to whatever case you are loading there shouldn't be any problems. If you don't move the primer slider lever by hand you shouldn't have problems, but if you do, problems you will have! unless you move it back. If you don't run cases through it with crimped primer pockets you shouldn't have problems. For those that fool around with things and move the primer slider lever Lee has changed the priming system last month to keep one's tinkering from screwing up the priming system. Perhaps it's worth a look.

http://www.titanreloading.com/new-load-master-small-primer-feed-system?keyword=primer&category_id=0

http://www.titanreloading.com/new-load-master-large-primer-feed-system?keyword=primer&category_id=0

Sonnypie
09-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Nice video, Ben.
I was very fortunate to have a friend give me an RCBS 4X4 press he won at a pistol competition. I've had that for neigh onto 2 decades now. He and his team used fully automated reloading.
I have mine set up for 45 ACP currently. It has also seen 9mm and 44 MAG duties.

I got a #3 shell plate from RCBS to try it for 30-06. But I felt the large cartridge was too much work for the press, so went back to my single stage for that rifle cartridge.
Pleasantly enough, that shell plate also works for the 45 ACP.

The 45 ACP seems to have been made for it. But it worked great for the 9mm and 44 MAG in those days as well.
I prefer hand priming like you, as well.
There is just a certain satisfaction to a finished round for each operation. And absolutely, it is not a race. Steady, methodically, and precisely.
I do have to hand feed my cases, as well as boolits. A case feeder would be nice.
Thanks Ben!

frankenfab
09-22-2011, 09:08 PM
That thing seems really smooth. After watching your video, the first thing I thought was "I would like to buy one of those and dedicate it to 45ACP."

LUBEDUDE
09-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the video Ben, that press seems to do a good job at a good rate.

Ben
09-23-2011, 11:44 AM
A lot of people " Slam " Lee.

For me however, this press has been a wonderful reloading tool ( with the exceptions that I noted earlier ).

Ben