PDA

View Full Version : Missoula MT Prairie Dogs/Trout?

HodakaGA
09-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I was fortunate to be offered use of a cabin outside Missoula MT on Rock Creek. Thinking about a trip out there next May. Anyone familar with the area as far as being able to pop some prairie dogs? I'd like more to do than freeze in a trout stream and the normal tourist stuff. Trout fishings not really my thing but I wouldn't mind trying it.

Hickory
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Missoula is in a mountainous area of Montana.
I don't think you'll find many prairie dogs.

HodakaGA
09-19-2011, 09:29 AM
That's what I was thinking but the owner told me PD's are always tearing up their and the neighbors yards. Looking at the area on Google Maps Sat. View it looks like there are narrow grassy valleys along the creeks.

square butte
09-19-2011, 10:44 AM
More than likely Golden Mantled ground squirels. You can shoot em just like prairie dogs.

Beerd
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Yup, ground squirrles or your generic "gophers". A bit smaller than prairie dogs. Shoot 'em with a 22.

WARD O
09-19-2011, 06:21 PM
I've spent some time a little south of there and we shot a lot of Columbia ground squirrels. About the size of grey squirrels but ground dwellers.

A 22 would take them but the centerfire guns are still lots of fun as ranges can get out there a bit as well......

The other thing is that you can run into a good patch of rock chucks or marmots and they can provide some great longer range fun if you like.

Ward

Matt_G
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Yup, ground squirrles or your generic "gophers". A bit smaller than prairie dogs. Shoot 'em with a 22.

You obviously haven't read Larry Gibson's post here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=864706&postcount=3) about the dangers of not using enough gun. :mrgreen:

MT Gianni
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Low on Rock Creek might see you some Ground squirrel action. i would check with ranchers outside Drummond or Hall, MT. Some years May puts you right in the middle of high water/run-off, some years it hasn't yet started. If you are near the top or Rock Creek, it may be too early for gophers near Phillipsburg. PM me when it gets closer if you end up going. I lived in Missoula for 20 years before moving 150 miles East.

HodakaGA
09-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks MT! No PD's may change our destination back towards Kansas or Nebraska though.