PDA

View Full Version : Internet provider

phaessler
09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I gotta ask, only caused I am a little ticked at my ISP.
Does anyone else use HughesNet? I have had them for 5 years now , and the last 6 minths are nothing but issues, I soend more time on the phone than online it seems.
YEs, its Hughes or a dial-up out where I am, no cable or DSL within 6 miles....

Thinking about trying a wireless USB modem from Sprint ot USCellular, anyone have any thoughts there ?

Any help or advice would be great.

Pete

wiljen
09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
I use a verizon aircard some of the time and it seems to work fine.

altheating
09-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Same thing here. Hughesnet SUCKS! I started using a Verizon wireless card. It acts up once in a while but no where as bad as hughes. The Hughes dish is going to leave my roof.

largom
09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Verizon wireless also and so far I love it. The difference between wireless and dial-up is night and day.

Larry

DLCTEX
09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I am using Wild Blue Satellite and have found it generally satisfactory.

firefly1957
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I have no issues with hughesnet am using it now Check to see if something is interfering with your dishes line of sight that can cause issues that may not diagnose correctly.

I also have a Verizon air card we are using at other house and it works fine most of the time (I am in a FRINGE area with poor cell reception)

1911sw45
09-19-2011, 11:57 PM
DLCTEX,
I have Wildblue too. But I think it sucks, for the past 2 weeks I keep getting pages timed out. I talked to them they keep saying my signal is just fine. BS it's fine. I got fast service with my wireless internet which I was on the far outer fringes. My upload is the problem, that is why I am getting timed out. But I still have another year of my contract so I am stuck with them.

Shepherd2
09-20-2011, 07:11 AM
We had Hughesnet until a couple months ago. Now we have DSL at about 1/4 the cost of Hughesnet. It's much better and much more reliable. Hughesnet offered us a bunch of discounts to stay but enough was enough.

dagger dog
09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
I have Verizon wirless and out of the 4 years I have had 0 problems ! BUT I live 8/10th's of a mile from the nearest Verizon tower, so my t&r is A1, haven't tried it anywhere else 'cause I don't own a laptop. I sprung for the 4 G download limit and have yet to over run that limit.
It isn't as fast as dedicated DSL, but real close to it.

Don't know the price on Hughes Net, but the Verizon with 4G download limit runs 75 bucks a month, they offer cheaper plans.

Greg in va
09-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm using a ntelos wireless Mi-Fi silver ....... it sets up a Wi-Fi area in your house for up to 5 items, works great, we were using dial up before because I'm also out in the sticks, it gets slow sometimes but all of the wireless ones get slow sometimes. This one is also password protected.

Greg in Va