PDA

View Full Version : New M1 Barrel Bad

smokemjoe
09-18-2011, 06:33 PM
The OCMP last year had old stock new barrels for the M1 Garand, I fitted one up, took it out and the 1 st. ten shots cleaned with copper out each shot, Then went to 311284 and 18 grs. 4759 which is a exc. load in any of my other garands,Got 4 in. and then off the paper at 100 yds. Cleaned out very good any shot 8 jacketed loads, The barrel was copper fouled, Cleaned it out and see long marks in the grooves and the lands is heavy with circlely marks, How can the barrel be smoothed up, The rifles is glassed and top wood is floated. Thanks- Joe

wiljen
09-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Firelap it.

Take a handful of boolits and roll the nose in softscrub. Fire 3 or 4 then clean the bore and repeat. 1600 grit clover compound works well too and is a bit faster than softscrub if you happen to have some around.

smokemjoe
09-18-2011, 08:43 PM
cast bullets or jacketed.

largom
09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Use cast boolits for fire-lap. It would not hurt to fire 5 or 6 with 320 valve lapping compound in the lube grooves. I coat my lapping boolits by rolling them between two steel plates with the lapping compound. This fills the grooves and imbeds some into the boolit. When you can shoot 5 jacketed bullets without excess copper fouling you should then lap some boolits with JB compound for the final polish.

I lap ALL newly acquired barrels [used or new] before I ever start load development.

Larry

missionary5155
09-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Good morning
+1 on the firelapping. I also do all barrels unless they are glass slick already. I have never ruined a barrel nor reduced acuracy from any barrel firelapped.
Depending on the actual barrel roughness (tight patch slowly pushed through ) I start with a finer or courser lap compound.
Mike in Peru