PDA

View Full Version : Rifle primmers for 357 mag?

GaBoy
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
OK I just got a box of 357 mags from a guy and I dont know if I want them or not.
They are.

180gr hardcast bullet
12gr IMR 4227
CCI small Rifle primmers ???

Is this a safe load in a Taurus 605 ?

GP100man
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
GB
i never shoot anyones reloads except mine !!!!!!
pull em & reassemble!!!!!!
GP
:castmine:

MtJerry
01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Shooting another man's reloads is like wearing his underwear ... you never know what you are going to get.

I recommend pulling them and starting over.

Four Fingers of Death
01-31-2007, 12:41 AM
If I knew the guy real well, I'd pull 5 from different positions in the box, pull and weight the charges. I they were 100% I'd run with it. Otherwise I'd pull the lot and start again. I really think I'd rather got to the store and buy 50 new cases.Mick.

MT Gianni
01-31-2007, 12:50 AM
I have a load that uses sr primers in a 357. Not espeecially unusual but I am not trusting enough to use someone elses loads. Gianni.

georgeld
01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
The primers are ok, it's the powder charge and trusting the guys loading '
that's most important.

I was given 600 one time from a longtime hunting buddy with money.
Then found out he used a Lee dipper and didn't even own a scales.

So pulled a few and found from three grains under to four gr over max.

Scared me, so pulled the whole lot. then went to work pulling the same amount of .243's and '06's too. Same thing with them. Charge's from all over the place.

George

Hunter
01-31-2007, 01:44 AM
I agree with yall. I have used Winchester rifle primers in loading .357 magnum rounds for my Ruger GP 100 but I would be hesitant to use someones else's reloads.
I was given a few boxes of .308 reloads by a friend and I pulled them all and checked out the powder weight. They all checked out but I felt better that I checked them out.

GaBoy
01-31-2007, 03:29 PM
SO if I pull the bullets and recharge the powder myself on my RCBS 5-0-2 I should be good ?

Anybody got opinions on whats a good charge with this bullet and primmer combo ? Or is 12gr good to go with the SR primers ?

I could just pull the bullet, save the powder and shoot the CCI plastic bullets with just the primers...

I think I'll do that and only keep the bullets and powder for a later load !!

BCB
01-31-2007, 03:59 PM
12 grains of IMR-4227 appears to be an acceptable charge for a 180 grain bullet. I use rifle primers and have had no problems. And, as the other people have indicated, if you know the person who reloaded them, well maybe O.K. The lead slugs might be a bit difficult to pull without major deformation. So you probably won't be able to use them again--maybe remelt them! Good-luck...BCB

Treeman
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
?

Anybody got opinions on whats a good charge with this bullet and primmer combo ? Or is 12gr good to go with the SR primers ?

I could just pull the bullet, save the powder and shoot the CCI plastic bullets with just the primers...

I think I'll do that and only keep the bullets and powder for a later load !!

NO!!!!!!! you will likely be sorry. The Plastic bullets powered by primers require that the flash holes be opened up-otherwise they may lodge in the barrel. Fail to realize it and you can stick a whole series of them in the bore, tie up the gun and have to screw something in from the muzzle and pull them one at a time. Pull the bullets, and either replace the powder with a mild charge ,reseat and shoot 'em up or pop the primers and reload the cases-at least you can salvage cases and bullets.

44man
01-31-2007, 05:06 PM
What most of you don't realize is that SR primers have tougher cups and take a stronger hammer fall for accuracy. Then if the mainspring is not strong enough, you can have hangfires or failures. They are hotter then SP primers and can raise pressures. It is just stupid when pistol primers are made for pistols.

GaBoy
01-31-2007, 09:31 PM
I took them all apart... I'll melt the bullets down later. I'm going to be looking into some molds shortly..

Now I took and shot all the primers like snap caps but with a good bang, heck they even had a small flame out the barrel....:Fire:

When I seen the label and what load he had it looked all ok to me but the use of the primers. I called him today to ask why and he had them for his Handie Rifle.. didnt like the lead bullets so he only wanted to shoot jacketed bullets now, thats why he gave them to me...

I didnt even keep the powder, put it on a fire ant mound and waited till they all came out to see what was up, poooof ! Burnt ants..[smilie=1:

lovedogs
01-31-2007, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't use someone else's loads. If it were my own mother's loads I wouldn't shoot them. And, of course, I wouldn't wear her underwear, either!

marksuttonjr
02-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I only use Winchester mag rifle primers when I reload for handguns and rifles. There is no reason to have pistol and rifle primers both laying around. Having to keep large and small is bad enough.

Like a few of the others say I would be much more worried about the powder weight.