PDA

View Full Version : Inline vent fan - where to buy ? Need to vent fumes outside

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Looking to set up an exhaust setup for my indoor casting in the garage. I want to vent the fumes outside.

I've noticed many of you use an inline duct fact of sorts and have referenced Home Depot as a source. Maybe where you live, but not in this area. The people who work there are pretty much clueless (like me).

Any links or suggestions where I might find such an animal ? Something in a 4 or 6 inch (preferred) would be great.

I can go the vent a hood route, but would much rather use flexible duct so I can move around a little if need be.

Thanks for the help guys ;)

'Slick
________
IPAD CASES (http://accesoriesipad.com/)

joatmon
01-30-2007, 08:47 PM
You could get on there web site to get the stock#(look under heat and air) and have it shipped or your local order it. HTH

kodiak1
01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Any Furnace or A/C Guy should be able to fix you up.
Ken.

imashooter2
01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100073963

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
That's just the ticket.

Thanks imashooter ;)

Now I see the detail on these, I can figure out a way to set it up. If I don't electrocute myself hooking it up, I'll post some pics in a few days.

Whaddya think ? 200 CFM enough if the intake sits a few inches above the pots ?
________
LovelyWendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

ANeat
01-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Slick Ive been thinking about something like that myself. It wouldnt suprise me if you had enough vertical rise that you could even get by without a fan. You just need enough of a draw to get the smoke out, the heat rising will help that along. Of course a fan will help a lot.

Im not sure if I want to knock a hole thru the roof for a vent but I havent ruled that out yet:roll: But right now Im thinking straight out the wall with something like a dryer vent on the outside and a fan like in the link.
That should be enough to keep the smoke out of the garage. :mrgreen:

The fan in the link is only 80cfm, I would be curious to see just how effective that would be for this application.

imashooter2
01-30-2007, 11:59 PM
There was a thread not long ago where guys were using computer fans. You aren't trying to set up a spray booth here...

BigSlick
01-31-2007, 12:09 AM
A buddy of mine is an ASHRAE guy. I will ask him tomorrow about figuring out the correct flow. I want to keep enough air moving to prevent anything from getting out in the rest of the garage, but of course I don't want it so strong I have to worry about sucking up a wayward midget or too much noise.

I'm definitely going thru the wall with a louvered dryer vent. I looked at going thru the roof and that would just be a PITA for my setup. I would have to put in a couple of 90*, and the outside is just a brick away ;)
________
California medical marijuana (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

Dale53
01-31-2007, 12:20 AM
If you use a flexible 4" dryer hose pipe, you can just notch it and fasten it horizontally to your lead pot. My RCBS pots have a sheet metal housing that makes it easy to use a sheet metal screw to fasten the vent pipe to it.Then run the hose to the dryer vent. Keep in mind that you want the pipe as short as possible to maximize the "draw" in the pipe.

If you fasten it the way I suggest, the opening will only be an inch away from the main part of the lead pot. The smoke and fumes will draw right out of the pot. No vent hood needed and since the pipe comes off the rear of the pot it isn't in your way when you need to gently put your ingots in the pot.

Dale53

versifier
01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Why not go with an inexpensive bathroom fan. They hook up to dryer hose and are small and light enough (approx 8x8x12) that you could rig a holder to position one that could be adjusted and moved around if needed. They have plenty of suction and are designed to remove generous amounts of nasty gas already. :-D

montana_charlie
01-31-2007, 02:30 PM
If you've turned the garage into your casting shack, you certainly don't need it for storing stuff...like cars. So, remove that unneeded overhead door and replace it with a fan which fills the opening, and draws in air from outside.

Since all of that volume will be trying to get out through your four inch vent pipe, you will enjoy several advantages...
- Excess heat off your pot will go out instead of making you sweat.
- When fluxing with a stick, the ash won't need to be scooped out with a spoon. (heck, it may even suck out wheel weight clips...)
- If you put a wet ingot in the melt, the spatter will go up the flue instead of coating your chest...and, being quickly cooled in airflow, it will probably rain back down into your pot where it belongs.

Only thing is...that towel you drop hot bullets on...you might want to staple that down to your bench.
CM

tomf52
01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
I built a small cabinet (2'x2'x18") that I installed a hot water hearter power vent into the top. I don't know the CFM of this fan, but it exhausts through a 2" PVC pipe and NO fumes come back into the garage. I posted a pic a while back of this setup which I can repeat if somebody would like to see it. Fan was free at local junk yard off a discarded heater.

wildkatt
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
:) I frequently see discarded computers set out on the curb for the trash man to pick up. Each contains a "muffin fan". Most of the fans are powered by 115vac, some by 12vdc. If there are one black and one red wire going to the fan in is a dc fan. Usually the power requirements are printed on the fan label. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the fans. The fans have a plastic frame about 4" x 4" square. Cut a 6" square from a piece of 1 x 6 lumber. Saw a hole in the center that is just the size of a tuna can. Cut the bottom from the can and insert into the hole in the board. Screw the fan (has 4 holes already) to the board concentric to the hole. Slip a clothes dryer vent hose onto the pertruding part of the tuna can. Now you have a powered vent hose.

Char-Gar
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Saturday I bought a like new Nutone kitchen vent fan for $5.00. It was at a church rumage sale.

Dale53
02-06-2007, 03:37 AM
I went to Home Depot and bought an inline fan, a length of collapsible 4" vent pipe, a exhaust dryer vent and several 4" clamps. However, I won't be doing this work until the weather moderates. It is "0" degrees around here in the morning and not a great deal warmer as the day goes on. We have snow predicted for tomorrow and just generally real winter weather for the forseeable weeks. It may be a month before I have things installed. However, I WILL let you know how it works and looks when I get it installed.

FWIW, this cost about $50.00 total.

Dale53

AkMike
02-06-2007, 03:47 AM
I use a kitchen range hood with a built in fan above my welding table. It also
doubles as my casting bench. No smoke from casting and alot less from welding.

PatMarlin
02-06-2007, 03:54 AM
I run a Home repo kitchen vent and an inline fan to boot from wwgraingers.