PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Security Six...any good ?

greywuuf
09-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Just read the thread on the GP 100's and was pleased to find most of the owners very happy with them. just spured a thought in my somewhat feeble old mind. I was given a Nasty old security six at one time, it was not hardly fired , just it had been left in a fishing tackle box and was seriously ugly.
I proceeded to completely disassemble it finished 'debluing" it glass beaded and parkerized the whole thing, and then left it in pieces. If i can find all of the parts for it, maybe I should go ahead and put it back together. Any experience with these things and any problems to be on the look out for ?

docone31
09-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I loved my Security Six. A good reliable reasonably accurate pistol.
They are good stuff.

AnthonyB
09-17-2011, 06:34 PM
The Security Six is a reasonably sized 357 Magnum built with Ruger strength. I have one and it is a keeper.
Tony

ubetcha
09-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I also have a Ruger Security Six and love it.Shot reasonably well in bullseye leagues many years ago.Averaged 265 or better in scores

bob208
09-17-2011, 09:21 PM
i have one a 1976 model 4" s-s. it is one of my carry guns. it shoots well can't seem to wear it out or break it. also have a 6" blue. use it for a bullseye and pin gun it does very well. it in the nightstand by the bed loaded with 357 cases and 357429 bullets.
i like them better then the gp100's

MtGun44
09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
I have a 6" SS that is extremely accurate, and I polished the internal parts and put in a
Bullseye spring kit and it has a really nice double action and excellent single action. Great
adjustable sights, what is not to like. I like the lighter barrel contour more than the GP100.

Bill

RayinNH
09-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I love my Service Six, which is the same revolver only with fixed sights...Ray

JesterGrin_1
09-18-2011, 02:48 AM
I have to say YES it would be worth it to put it back together and use it. :)

I Have a Stainless Security Six 4 inch that I would not part with. Great Pistols and Strong.

NickSS
09-18-2011, 05:37 AM
I have a 4 inch blued and a 6 inch SS and would not sell either for any amount of money. They both shoot better than I do and will absorb ammo loaded to any reasonable level ( and some not so reasonable) and keep on working. I got over 50,000 rounds through my 4 inch and except for some holster wear it is about the same as it was new. The SS one I have shot less but it has no issues either. I have a couple of GP 100s and they are fine pistols but are heavier due to the under lug but I can't say that they are any stronger. My blued 4 inch just had its 37 birthday and I put a couple boxes of heavy 357 mag hand loads through it just for that event.

ubetcha
09-18-2011, 08:24 AM
I have not experanced any problems at all with my Security Six.If you can find all the parts and put it back together ,I think you will be very pleased with it

Bret4207
09-18-2011, 08:51 AM
I used a Speed Six for a long time. Accurate, rugged, decent looking. Nice gun. When I got my M-19 I sold the SS. IMO the SS is a far better 38/357 platform than the oversized, terribly heavy GP100. The only downside to the SS was the tiny "click-click" of the transfer bar moving around. Some owners report theirs don't move like mine did.

Walt
09-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I have had three Security Sixes and a Service Six. They are typical Ruger in strength and accuracy was good in all four of them.

johniv
09-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I have a USPS 3" great carry gun , shoots well and handles 357 loads better than my mod 66.
John

Thumbcocker
09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I had a 4" for a while but my Blackhawks shot rings aound it.

seagiant
09-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi,
One of the best revolvers EVER made on this planet!!!

hiram1
09-18-2011, 09:03 PM
real good gun i have 2 of the gp100s

GaryM
09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
My 4" Stainless is my go to woods gun when I am out hiking, fishing, riding or whatever. It is a damn fine gun.
I did replace the factory springs with a Wolff kit though.

G. Blessing
09-18-2011, 10:50 PM
to the original poster, Definetally put i together! my Dad still has his that he bought in the early 70s, a 4"er, great shooter.

I had a 4" for a while but my Blackhawks shot rings around it.

Ha, ha, I know what you meant, but I had to laugh at that, 'cause it reads like the blackhawks had bigger groups ;-)

G.

greywuuf
09-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Dug around some today and it looks like It all still here somewhere, IF i can put my hands on that little plastic box I remember putting the little Fiddly parts in ....

Ran into another issue though, Looks like I am going to have to set the barrel back ( nice time to tighten up the cylinder gap and such ) as the parking worked on the threads a tiny amount and now it "over times" before I reach any kind of TQ ... I guess taking one thread off ain't so bad.....

most likely should not have taken the barrel off in the first place ;-P

BCB
09-19-2011, 06:23 AM
I have one of them from the first few years they started to make them...

Stainless and a 6" barrel..

I would have no idea how many rounds it has had through it...

Even had a cheap Phantom 'scope on it for a few years...

Accuracy was great with the 'scope...

Removed it and used the open sights since then...

Still good accuracy out to 25 yards...

I only shoot 358429's in it anymore...

I keep looking for other ones of the early years...

Most are reasonably price also...

Good-luck...BCB

roverboy
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I've got a 6" blued one made in '81 that I bought for $150 in '86. I've put about 4000 rds. through it. Mostly lighter .38 Spl. and light .357, but have also put some monster killer loads through it. It still shoots good and is still tight.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Carried a 6" stainless for 6 years as peace officer back in the 80's. Took 1st place many x's in the local police shooting matchees with it. 158gr bullets over Blue Dot, 12 grains as I recall. Used it to defend myself against a nut who pulled a fully auto Mac-11 on me. Trusted it and opined it better than a Smith or Colt.

Lonegun1894
09-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Have a 4" SS Security Six that I carried a s a Peace Officer less than a year ago, and still carry off duty. Great gun that I carry and also hunt with. Like has been said, good size and weight, very good accuracy (at least in mine and every one of them I have ever seen), built stronger than other manufacturers usually do. I wont get rid of mine, but will buy another if I find one and have the cash at the time. It's gotten me out of a few tight spots and I'm sure it will again if called on to do so. I'd say put it back together and enjoy, they're great guns.

scattershot
09-23-2011, 12:22 PM
I have, and have had, several, and they are great pistols. Although the GP100 is a fine pistol, too, it's substantially larger than the Security Six. I wish Ruger would bring it back.

Your restoration project is definitely worthwhile.

rintinglen
09-24-2011, 12:00 AM
At the old JR Indoor range, they had a stainless 6 incher that had fired well over 200,000 rounds. Mostly 38s but enough 357S to beat a Model 19 Smith into junque. I have been looking for a speed six 2 3\4 incher for several years, without success. My brother has a 6 inch blue Security Six that he will not part with. I don't blame him.

Chihuahua Floyd
09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Had the 2 3/4 inch barreled Speed Six, trafed it for a Super Single Six, 22 22 Mag. With 38's it was managable, with 357s it was to rough. I started with a 44 Mag so I am not adverse to recoil and blast. Currently have the GP 100 in 4" and found in-laws a 4" factory reconditioned Speed Six. I'd like to have that one myself.
CF

Rio Grande
09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
When I get a gun like that, beat up on the outside, I just am happy to shoot it as is...
usually they are fine on the inside. It's not a beauty contest.
You rarely get your money back on add-ons, 'tune-ups', reblues etc.

Would Ruger fix it up? Even though it's discontinued? Probably not, but I'd ask.
And there are some 'smiths who specialize in Rugers...maybe Ruger could steer you to one.
I think if it was too much $ to fix up, I'd sell it as-is and buy one already running good. Even like it is I bet it's worth $100 for parts...
Cheaper in the long run, no doubt.

Rio Grande
09-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Dug around some today and it looks like It all still here somewhere, IF i can put my hands on that little plastic box I remember putting the little Fiddly parts in ....

Ran into another issue though, Looks like I am going to have to set the barrel back ( nice time to tighten up the cylinder gap and such ) as the parking worked on the threads a tiny amount and now it "over times" before I reach any kind of TQ ... I guess taking one thread off ain't so bad.....

most likely should not have taken the barrel off in the first place ;-P

Wire wheel the threads? Nobody would see it after installing anyway. Could be too that Ruger torques 'em down real tight.

greywuuf
09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Wrong direction....the threads got smaller and I tightens beyond straight up. If I give it another turn it would come tight up on the cylinder.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Larry Gibson
09-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Love mine.....

Larry Gibson

Rio Grande
09-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Wrong direction....the threads got smaller and I tightens beyond straight up. If I give it another turn it would come tight up on the cylinder.

That's surprising. At work we send parts out for 'parkerizing' - phosphate - and there's always a build-up. So I just assumed...

That sure is a problem then. You'd have to turn back on a lathe the shoulder a precise amount , not quite a complete turn (and allow for torque), so the front sight would line up, then face off the end of barrel, then maybe re-do the forcing cone.

Unless there's another way I can't think of.

greywuuf
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah, standard setting the barrel back revolver job. I have just never gotten around to it.

The difference between you experience with park and mine is because I did the park at home with a home brew solution and most likely did not get a significant deposition of phosphate, but did experience some loss of material due to acid bath and glass heading.

All though on further thought it seems more likely I am mistaken and I should realy get it out and check again, it seems unlikely that I "lost" that much material with out pitting or other signs of dimensional shift.

MtGun44
09-28-2011, 12:07 AM
greywuuf,

Set it in the right position with red locktite. It will be fine, I have several set up this way, no
chance of causing a tight spot and it works perfectly. Heat will make it removable if you
need to at some point in the future.

Bill

roverboy
09-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Love mine.....

Larry Gibson

I love it too but, then I should because mine looks just like it. Same grips and everything.

hAkron
09-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I bought one this summer with a fair amount of wear on the finish, but mechanically very sound. It was well under $300. Amazing revolver for the money. It has a lot in common with the GP 100.

jimb16
09-29-2011, 10:17 PM
I used to have one and loved it......Now my wife loves it and I'm "childless"!