PDA

View Full Version : A shotshell loader question: Savage M630

Got-R-Did
09-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Older neighbor getting his basement cleaned out and prepping for a yard sale. While I load for metallic cartridges, shotshell loading is a sometime thing for me and my Lee works fine for my consumption. He has already sold nearly all the components such as propellant, wads and shot, but needed information on this press. It reads Savage Shotshell Press Model 630, Savage Arms, Westfield, Mass.
and is made from cast iron and blued steel(appears to be 12 ga.). It is fairly heavy at approx. 10 lbs and appears to be well made. It needs a bit of TLC due to dust, and freckling of the blued parts, but overall good condition. Its only major flaw is that the steel threaded recepticle for the shot bottle is mashed on one side.
What can be told of this press, and would it be worth working up to restore for eventual use or is he looking at the value equivilant of a bookend?
Many Thanks for your thoughts.
Got-R-did.

Forgot to ask about the era this dates from as well.
Thanks.

Pressman
09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
They date from 1964 through 1968. They are good presses. I do not collect shotshell tools so do not have one, though I should. I have some written info, no instructions, on these.
If it were me I would clean it to look good and put it on eBay. Should bring around $65-85.
Ken

LUBEDUDE
09-17-2011, 10:30 PM
You just don't come across those Savage presses very often.

I agree with Pressman, I think it is ebay bait.

Got-R-Did
09-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Roger That, Gentlemen, I certainly appreciate your time and the bit of history behind this cool press. I will advise my neighbor and see if he wants to invest a bit of spit and polish for potential sale somewhere. If he likes, I could post it here for sale as-is or otherwise.
Again, Thank You Pressman and LubeDude!
Got-R-Did.

LUBEDUDE
09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Good Deal, and yeah, I believe a little elbow grease will go a long way.