PDA

View Full Version : Diluting Linotype

Gisli
09-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi all, Iīve been shooting Linotype boolits from my Marlin 336 in 30-30 with gas checks. Someone said that it was a waste of good metal. I should be diluting the Lino with pure lead because I was using Gas checks. Problem is I donīt have pure lead. I just happen to have some 70 pounds of pre WWII lead shot #1. I have no idea of its composition other than, that it is a lot harder than pure lead. So I was wondering do you have any idea what the composition of lead shot was in those days. ?

onondaga
09-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Gisli,
If you don't know exactly what you have and you are planning on staying in the hobby for awhile, this sounds like a nice time for you to get a Hardness Test Kit for odds and ends in lead scrap . When yo know what each lot is in BHN, then it is just arithmetic to figure alloying amounts and get the BHN you desire. My Supplier:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=731364

On Sale till the end of the month.

Gary

badbob454
09-17-2011, 07:13 PM
try 50/50 with the lead shot

Marlin Junky
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Chances are, your shot will be softer when it is air cooled but it will still contain more Sb than good old WW... especially, stick on WW's. I would start scrounging around for softer lead to mix with your Lino. If you are shooting pure lino from your Marlin, that is analogous to plinking with Berger bullets in the copper patch domain.

MJ

bumpo628
09-18-2011, 04:37 AM
It could be 2%, 3%, 4%, or 6% antimony.
If it says "chilled", then it should be 2%.
If it says "magnum", then it could be 4% or 6%.

I found a vendor selling #1 shot that has 3% antimony here:
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-Shot-1-8LB-160/productinfo/SBK160/

In any case, I think you should mix it in a 2:1 ratio shot to linotype. 10 lbs shot to 5 lbs for example. That will give you about 1.33% tin and 5.33% to 8.00% antimony depending on which shot you have. Either way it's better than straight lino at 4% tin and 12% antimony.

Gisli
09-18-2011, 06:58 AM
It seems I have 95 pounds of Lead shot. 1 bag is Lawrence Chilled #9, the rest is bulk #1. It was said that it came as ballast during WWII. There were tons of it available for free in the 70īs when I started shooting skeet. Using shot #1 in skeet was, lets say, interesting.
I think Iīll try 2:1 with the Linotype. I have almost 700 pounds of the Lino.