PDA

View Full Version : Good ? Bad ? Rossi pump 22 ?

twotrees
09-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Local Pawn shop had one of these with the rifle length barrel. I know you can't scope these, but did I do bad for $100 ?? How do they shoot?

Looks just like the gun I use to try and win a rifle, shooting at that danged red star target, at the carnivals.:grin:

Wife is a lefty and she can shoot this with out worrying about the which side the brass is going, or working a right handed bolt.

Thanks,

jmsj
09-17-2011, 01:01 PM
twotrees,
I hope you are feeling better.
20 years ago I bought a Rossi pump copy of a Winchester pump gallery gun with a 16" barrel. It had a bad carrier so I was able to buy it for $50.00. I repaired the carrier and gave it to my mother. She wanted a .22 to shoot coyotes that were coming into the yard. She shot it a little and gave it back to me when she got something else.
I mounted a B-Square foward scope mount and Busnell 2-6X pistol scope. I also refinished the stock. There was actually some pretty wood under that ugly stain that Rossi used. This gun turned out to be a pretty accurate and reliable shooter.
At one ranch that I was working at there were 2 prairie dog towns that had never been shot at. Using this little pump gun I was able to shoot hundreds of prairie rats reliably out to 60-70 yards. It seems the report of the .22 didn't seem to spoke them too much and they would just stick around.
If it is in decent shape, I think you did pretty good.
jmsj

Artful
09-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I had a friend with one, his was a good one as far as my experiences with it. I'd say you did good. You as usual with a 22LR need to try several ammo's to see what the gun likes for best accuracy but Alan's was MOB (min. of bunny) with out problem.

Bret4207
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Had one years and years ago that my evil step father got. Nice rifle, I miss it.

Johnch
09-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I have one ( pre saftey model )
It is the long barrel one 23"??

Winchester Expert shoot great in it

I also put a scope on it
Wish I had bought several more

John

Hardcast416taylor
09-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I bought the longer barreled model Rossi from an old friend that needed a few bucks and besides he didn`t shoot any more. The thing shoots very nicely with Win. Hi-Vel H.P.`s. The rear sight height adjustment ladder was missing from it and I`m trying to locate a replacement, Numrich doesn`t have any.Robert

twotrees
09-20-2011, 09:05 AM
This one is a pre-safety model with Longer barrel. (With my bad foot, getting to a tape measure, then the gun, then back here is a royal pain in the patootie.) :-| They had a 16 inch gun there also and mine(Wife's) is at least 4-5 inches longer than that one.

I looked around the net a bit and it looks like a peep for the smaller lever guns could be adapted for it. The scope would take it out of the class that we bought it for. Ga has a game law that foxes, coon's and bobcats can only be shot with a rim fire, shotgun or muzzle loader. I have had really good luck with "High-Shok" ammo, down range performance wise. A company here in Ga had CCI making it for them and it was $22/ brick. Now CCI has come out with their own label of it and its $44/brick. Lots of money, but a standard 22 long rifle whacks as hard, with as much destruction, as a 22 Mag, out to 80-90 yards. Don't plan on eating a squirrel, you shot with it:p

I hope this rifle likes them because, that's the plan right now.

Since the wife is a lefty, we wanted a light breakdown gun for her to carry, in a backpack, as the fur bearer season coincides with deer season. We will be trying it out , with CB Longs, for the vicious saber toothed Tree rats, here in the back yard.:redneck:

x101airborne
09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I like the little rossi pumps. Never owned one, but my brother in law has the winchester and the rossi. The winchester is smoother and will out shoot the rossi even though the winchester has some pitting in the bore. The rossi is nice and for 100 bucks, you cant go wrong. Good Buy!!

Mk42gunner
09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
For $100.00, you wil get a lot of fun out of it. I had one of the 16" carbines in the late eighties, it was a lot of fun to plink with (no disconnector, hold the trigger and pump).

Unfortunately, both the Second Model Woodsman and the New Frontier Buntline Special I had at the time would outshoot it on paper. I still had a lot of fun in the desert with it though.

Robert

P.S.

Taurus makes a tang sight for their version, it should fit on the older Rossi as well, but you might have to drill and tap a hole or two.

IIRC the long barrel is supposed to be 23".

R

cajun shooter
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
The earlier models were copies of the Winchester 62 rifles. I have purchased three of them and they all shot perfect with good ammo. The green tag CCI shot quite well for squirrel hunting. I wish I would have kept one of them for myself but my grandsons love them. Best $100 you can spend.

ss40_70
10-08-2011, 10:00 PM
i got one when i was 13 or 14 been to long to remember exactly , back then i hated it had extraction problems and wouldnt feed the cheap winchester ammo my meager budget allowed me so i didnt use it much ... fast forward 20 years and after taking it apart to clean i filed the burr of the extractor and put some cci's threw it , shoots like a champ no more problems

wellfedirishman
10-09-2011, 01:33 AM
That was a good deal, they are great little guns. I had one and foolishly traded it off a few years ago. My one had a rifle-length slim octagon barrel and shot pretty well.

Taurus sells a little flip-up tang sight for it, you might be able to find one on gunbroker or ebay.

valathar
10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I have a Rossi 62 pump, and mom has my grandpa's old Winchester 62. Both are very accurate and reliable. My Rossi (I think) has a 20" barrel, and is a pre-safety model... looks like I could directly swap parts between it and the Winchester if I ever wanted to. I do think the old Winchester is slightly more accurate, but not by much, and that could be wishful thinking since I've really never put them on paper. Mostly they get shot at sparrows, grackles, and rats... and are very accurate for that job. Both digest shorts and LR just fine.

If you got a pre-safety Rossi, imho you got a great deal for $100.

Ragnarok
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I had owned one back in the late 1970's..and it was OK. Only issue I recall was the little leaf spring that worked on the shell carrier was a bit weak..and you had to keep it clean for the little spring to do it's job.

I traded it even up to another kid for a Remington Model 12C with a broken firingpin. Bought a firingpin and spring for $8..and had myself a better pump .22 rifle(with real walnut..crescent buttplate..and octagon barrel)...

cobroller
10-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I bought one a couple of years ago. It resides in the front of the gun safe. Nice to carry on a walk around the farm. I also have a left-handed grandson who will get it in a couple of years.

I followed Dad many a mile hunting squirrels with a Winchester 62.

cat223
04-05-2012, 06:19 AM
That sounds like a good deal. I've had mine for nearly 20 years trouble free. It's a great little gun and looks nice too. I like it for introducing new shooters to the sport also. Seems a little safer than a semi auto for that sort of thing.

buck1
04-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Mine is 30 or so yrs old and had untold thousands of rds through it. Still shoots great and shoots every time. -0- trouble.

Shiloh
04-29-2012, 09:01 PM
No issues with the few that I have fired.
Fired one for several hours with buddies one afternoon. No issues at all.

Shiloh

rond
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Found one for my son last Christmas, he thinks it's just great. Like new for $125.

Kestrel4k
06-20-2012, 07:06 PM
C'mon, lets see more pics. [smilie=p:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/IMG_7474-1.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/IMG_7473-1.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/IMG_7475-1.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/IMG_7477-1.jpg

My Rossi 62SAC has well over 10k rounds through it, and is much smoother than my Dad's 1940 Win 62A.
A much better trigger too. The older Rossi's were great rifles.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
any 22 that cycles and fires and is minute of beer can at 50 yards is worth 100 dollars , unless it is in very bad external shape like rust or cracked stock

on the other hand i don't think you will like it how about you send me a PM and i will take it off your hands for 100 and you won't have lost any thing.

Longwood
06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I have no idea how many cartons of ammo has been through mine.
Every time I take it out, everyone wants to shoot it so it has had a workout.
I got it in about 1980.
It shoots great and always has.
Used guns are like going to an car auction. At my first one, my brother in law said, "Remember,,, every car at the auction is not a bad car,,,, But every bad car, ends up at the auction."

Look it over really good if buying used.
Be cautious with them, they will slam fire. Which of course,,,, can be great fun.:drinks:

I popped a fat Jack this morning that has been stripping the bark from my Oleanders. Nice and quiet,,, I doubt the neighbors even noticed.
One more Long Ear bunny to go.:Fire:

paul h
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I got the taurus stainless version for my kids several years ago, heck maybe it's already been ten years?

The upside of the gun is it has digested brick after brick of a 22lr and the kids enjoy running rounds through it. When I got the gun I cut several inches off the stock to fit them, now they're all teenagers so glued the cut off section back on.

The downsides have been it won't feed 22 shorts, the trigger is heavy and the accuracy fair ~1" and change at 25 yds. It is a great plinker and one of these days I'll try and get around to slicking up the trigger.

Longwood
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Mine is still doing it's job.
It took out bunny number two at a little after five, this AM.
Right trough his eye from about 60 feet.