PDA

View Full Version : hodgdon pyrodex

flounderman
09-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I need to know what 110 grains volume equivilent of hodgdon pyrodex ffg weighs on a powder scale. I'm making speed loaders of pvc and want to have the length so with a bullet inserted flush in one end, level with pyrodex in the other end will equal 110 grains. can someone measure 110 grains and weigh it?

Nobade
09-17-2011, 10:56 PM
It doesn't work that way. The actual weight of pyrodex will change depending on the temperature and humidity. Just like the actual weight of black powder will change depending on the density of the particular batch you happen to have. Just buy yourself a $5 adjustable black powder measure and use that. It'll really save you some headaches and will work great.

mooman76
09-18-2011, 12:44 PM
I went ahead and weighed some for you. It came to 83.2 gr but like Noblade said it will be different according to different variables but this should get you somewhere near there and what I weighed should be somewhat close because according to the can you get 25% more by volume. Even if you compare two different style BP volume measures they usually will be a couple grains difference.

white eagle
09-18-2011, 01:07 PM
how do you normally measure you black powder loads ?
just use that and fill your container,mark and cut.....
black powder is a volume oriented propellant not weight

Hellgate
09-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Won't there be a difference in weight of any give volume depending on the amount of settling/shaking of the measurer? With BP I can sure get different weights of charges depending if I am shaking the flask or not to settle the charge in the spout. Is Pyro as sensitive to settling as BP? I have never bothered to see with Pyro but a difference with BP shaken or using a drop tube.

frontier gander
09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
by weight and with my powder measure, 110gr Volume of RS = 75.8 weight

mooman76
09-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Won't there be a difference in weight of any give volume depending on the amount of settling/shaking of the measurer? With BP I can sure get different weights of charges depending if I am shaking the flask or not to settle the charge in the spout. Is Pyro as sensitive to settling as BP? I have never bothered to see with Pyro but a difference with BP shaken or using a drop tube.

Consistancy is the key just like all reloading. If you're going to shake or tap it to settle, do the same every time.

smoked turkey
09-19-2011, 02:08 PM
First you must not think that using blackpowder is in any way similar to smokeless. It is different in many ways ofcourse. One important way is in the efficiency of the burn. Blackpowder and the substitutes are relatively inefficient when compared to smokeless. A grain or two can make a big difference in smokeless. With blackpowder I have found that due to the inefficiencies of the burn that as much as 5 grains variance doesn't make that much difference in the result at the target. That ofcourse is with middle of the road volume type measures. From my experience, get one of the adjustable measures that go from say 40 to 110 gr. Experiment with loads in 10 gr increments until you find something that you and your rifle like. You might then tweek it in 5 gr increments until you get it just where it needs to be. Don't mix weighted charges and volume charges. You are just asking for trouble down the road.

waynem34
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
45-100 case might be close if you have any.Just my 2cents Take care

cajun shooter
09-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Go to the Hodgdon site and see what they advise for using pyrodex. I can tell you for a fact that it is the most corrosive type of powder product I have ever seen in my 64 years. I shoot nothing but the real thing and you should at least do some reading before making any decisions.
As far as the posting by White Eagle as to the fact that BP is a volume thing that is false. Real original bp charges were weighed and still are to this day. You can't compare any of the so called sub powders as being anything like the real bp. They are nothing but a substance that provides propulsion to a projectile that smokes. They don't burn the same nor do they have the sparks and flames that real BP has. They also clean up differently. They have burn rates closer to smokeless powders which is all they are with a additive to make smoke.
Each batch of any powder should not be used as a comparison for others. That includes all powders. There was never any printed material about loading by volume until the advent of the sub powders like Pyrodex. All the old ammunition was at times named by the amount of powder each case held. Some like the 44-40, 38-40, 45-70,45-90,45-110,32-20 and so on.
The problem came in when the subs were made as they burned faster and with more power than any BP. A case loaded with 70 grains of BP was as much that could be put in the case of the 45-70 and if you put in 71 grains it would not matter.
If you have a smokeless load that is a max load of hot ball powder and you add one or two grains it could blow your gun. The subs burn in that same hot area and therefore require much less powder to do the same thing.