PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Shooting/Reloading??

Armyguy80
09-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Hey all I am still new around here but am wondering if anybody is in the San Antonio area. I am recently retired from the Army at the ripe age of 31(medical reasons) I am looking for someone who might be able to share some knowledge about reloading. I am waiting on a new (to me) set-up to arrive and have never done so before. Always looking for shooting buddies too. (its the only "manly" thing I have since my wife and daughter take up the rest of my time.

geargnasher
09-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Welcome! I'm about sixty miles NW of you. Are you new to the forum, SA area, or both?

I'd say the best place to start is to purchase several reloading manuals (like Lyman, Speer, Hornacy, Lee, etc.) and read them, starting with the first chapter. Most reloading guides have very good overviews of safety, handling, and processes required to reload good, safe, accurate ammunition. The books don't need to be new, not much has changed except the introduction of a few new calibers so if you find some cheap "previously enjoyed" manuals go for it.

Gear

Armyguy80
09-17-2011, 02:07 AM
I am new to the forum. Been in San Antonio since 07. Thanks for the advice, the books are on my to buy list assuming the wife doesnt kill me when the press shows up. I am sure I could figure it out with books and such. Also just kinda want to hopefully learn from others mistakes and things that books dont cover.....

geargnasher
09-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Consider reloading manuals more like user guides. There's not much to "figure out", but a lot to learn from them. Most have step-by-step instructions for loading rifle and pistol ammunition, with detailed explanations of each process with plenty of illustrations to get you going. The process and safety of reloading is one thing you don't want to learn from an internet forum, but from published sources in my opinion. Once you get the basics down, ask questions! We're here to help. Then, after that, we'll sucker you into casting your own boolits, and you'll really be sunk!

Gear

LIMPINGJ
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Watch out for those girls. They will take up shooten with you and leave you the casting, reloading and loading magazines ( they don't want to break a fingernail) as the only manly time you have.

Charley
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm in NE SA, and been known to cast, load, and shoot a bit. Feel free to PM me if you like, maybe I can help.

thx997303
10-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I was there 09-10 I assume you were stationed at Ft Sam houston.

Hopefully BAMC and Wilford hall treated you fine.

You might send a PM to Jestergrin_1 and ask him. He's in that area, and was very helpful to me when I was there.

Good luck.

bbailey7821
10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome, ArmyGuy80! I'm about 2 hrs south, but feel free to PM with anything I can help with.

SSGOldfart
10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
:Fire:Welcome Armyguy80 congrats on the retirement,,remember the Army put you out to pasture,don't mean the grass anit greener on the other side,I'm a couple hours east to north east from you.:drinks::drinks:

Wayne Smith
10-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Welcome to our madness! The books aren't optional, they are necessities. The good ones are full of reloading data for almost any caliber you can imagine. I started with Sierra years ago cause they were just up the street from me and I bought seconds by the lb in brown paper bags. Still use the Sierra manual as my go to one, but must have half a dozen by now.

Moondawg
10-27-2011, 06:17 PM
If you are interested in reloading pistol, start going to any one of the IPSC matches around San Antonio. There is one, and sometimes two, every weekend. All those guys reload pistol and most of them also reload rifle. They are always willing to help newbys.

If you are mostly interested in in reloading rifle, many of the rifle competative shooters hang out at the Dietz range just So. of New Braunfels. There are also some BPC shooters there. You could probably find someone to help you get started reloading. There is certainly is alot of talent there. Ask for a guy named Wade Peterson. He might steer you in the right direction. Howard Dietz often has good used reloading equipment for sale at a decent price.

texvet45
10-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Howdy!

I live in the Seguin area not too far from the Bexar bowling Range. I have been casting for only a couple of years, but I started reloading when I was a kid helping my dad.

PM me if you ever want to go shoot, reload, or cast some boolits.

Texvet 45