PDA

View Full Version : I saved my LOADED 30-06 Sizing die!

broomhandle
09-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I had sized & loaded 200 cast bullets! Then, I had a attack of major STUPID !

For some reason, three loaded cases would not not chamber in my 30-06's. Rather than take them apart, as I normally would. I STUPIDLY figured I would use them as foulers! I removed the decapping assembly from my 30-06 RCBS die.

Lubed the cases, & sized two of them. I guess, I did not have enough lube on the last one! It was stuck badly! :shock: It's a LOADED case! #@%&*:veryconfu

My scary fix, was to fill the die with water & carefully drill the bullet out with a 1/8 then a 1/4 inch drill.
I used a LOW speed, clear all the water & metal chips.. then refill with water. Repeat about five or sixtimes until the water ran into the now 1/8 inch drilled hole in the bullet! filled the case & die with water.
Then used the larger 1/4 nch drill, I then knocked out as much wet powder as I could. Blew out what was left of the bullet.

I installed a brass rod in the case & a few washers to support the DIE not the case & pushed out the case from the die.
Nothing was ruined! My only loss was one case & primer.[smilie=w:

Please be careful, if this happens to you. It is a LIVE bullet. I have over thirty years of reloading & still managed to screw-up sometimes!
I did all my work behind a thick plex-glass shield I rigged up, safety glasses, thick gloves & I covered as much of my upper body with a thick moving mat.

Shrapnel sucks! I will never try to take a shortcut again!

Best,
broomhandle

Alchemist
09-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm glad that everything turned out okay....thanks for sharing the experience. We all do things that seemed like a good idea at the time and have later regrets. It takes some cahones to 'fess up and warn others.

Cheers

Westwindmike
09-17-2011, 11:43 PM
So did the first two chamber after re-resizing?

smokemjoe
09-19-2011, 10:25 PM
I had one that stuck in the seating die in 1960, long story short, It went off with my hand around it the die, At 65 I still carry a scare on my little finger.

broomhandle
09-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi Westwindmike,

Yes they did ..I have not fired them yet.

Best to all,
broomhandle

broomhandle
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi smokejoe,

I'm still using the 7 mm molds I bought from you! Bought two more 7 mm rifles too!

Best to you!:drinks:
broom