PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W help

straightarrow
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
After several members spoke well of KKM Glock replacement barrels I ordered one in 40 caliber but am having trouble reloading for it. I poured up some Lee 180 grain truncated cone bullets and sized them to .401. If I go by the load data in the Lee book or info that came with the reloading dies it states 5.2 grains of Unique with a minimum OAL of 1.125. If I load to that OAL and use the barrel for a go no go gauge the rounds won't seat all the way in the chamber because the bullet is bottomed out in the chamber. You can see marks on the lead where it makes contact with the begining of the barrel stopping it from seating fully.
If I reduce the OAL to 1.095 they fit all the way in. I loaded six dummy rounds to that OAL and they seat and cycle fine by hand. MY question is can I use that OAL and how would I determine a starting point for the grains of Unique to use?

Rico1950
09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I have the same "problem" with my Bar-Sto barrel, not really a problem though.
I use 5.0 grains and seat to 1.095".

geargnasher
09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
I agree, seat to fit YOUR particular chamber, and if that means it's under the COAL listed for the data you're using, back off just a tiny bit on the starting load.

Next task, pull one of your "Dummy" rounds and measure the boolit to make sure it's still .401" after being shoved into that tough, hard .40 brass.

BTW, good on you for using the barrel as a case gauge and assembling cycle-check dummies, two things that fix many problems before they happen.

Gear

straightarrow
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Rico1950 - I took your advice but was still a little hesitant and used 4.5 grains of Unique and got good accuracy and they all cycled well. Went home and added the step of using the crimp die as a bulge buster and loaded twenty more rounds with 5 grains. While using the barrel as a case gage I could tell they seated more like a factory round. Went to the range again and the accuracy was even better. Thanks to you and Gear for your assistance.

9.3X62AL
09-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Rico1950 - Went home and added the step of using the crimp die as a bulge buster......

Fingernails-on-a-chalkboard statement. Be cautious with this process--over-doing it WILL cause the boolit to be reduced in diameter.

straightarrow
09-17-2011, 08:35 PM
That was in the back of my mind after geargnasher suggested pulling some of the loaded dummy rounds to see if they had been reduced and I would have if there had been an accuracy or tumbling problem. Todays shooting was the best I have ever done with a Glock(with cast reloads) but I will need todays shooting to repeat itself a couple times before I am completely sold. If accuracy problems come back I will pull and measure some bullets. If todays accuracy continues I won't bother.

9.3X62AL
09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Success is difficult to argue with! :) Good luck.

thegreatdane
09-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Fingernails-on-a-chalkboard statement. Be cautious with this process--over-doing it WILL cause the boolit to be reduced in diameter.

Will not! (kidding)

Seems like some do swage the boolits down. Some don't. Mine don't. I love the FCD. just pull a dummy and caliber to see. That's the only way to be sure.