PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Taurus lemon

Jim
09-16-2011, 05:12 PM
A few days back, I bought a Taurus model 94 .22 revolver with a 5 inch barrel and adjustable sights. I got a bad one.

I tried everything I could think of and it just won't shoot. The dealer is going to send it back for me.

What I thought was weird was, that one in the paster was the first shot out of a clean barrel. After that, it went to sling shot mode.

http://jgcphotos.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/p1010017-e1316207124968.jpg

OBIII
09-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Taurus is Mandarin for Lemon. Better luck next time, Jim. Here's how one guy modified his "Hi-Point" on U-tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7mKJNlm8Y&feature=player_embedded
I have no dog in this hunt as I have never shot or owned either. I am thinking about a Hi-Point, though, just from the cost factor.,

x101airborne
09-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, as far as Taurus as a lemon, Welcome to the club!! I have owned three. First was a fixed sight 357. Not bad if you didn't mind hitting 3 feet left of the target at 25 yards. Second was a Taurus tracker in 44 mag. Wore it out to the point that it would not index or lock up twice. Sent it back each time and it came back, well, not to my satisfaction. Third was a taurus raging bull. Shaved lead every time. My knuckles were more bloody than what I was shooting nearly every time. Never again.

PacMan
09-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I owned one Taurus about umteen years ago and ever time you bumped it on the side it would go off. Took it back to the dealer for refund and never owned another.

scrapcan
09-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Jim

Is that single action or double action? Mine does way better than that in SA mode. DA is a pipe dream even with model 83 springs (the wrong ones by the way). But that is all I have ever been able to get. I will leave it at that on my story.

I had higher hopes for you.

Bret4207
09-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Jim, I assume you gave it a thorough cleaning and tried several different brands of ammo? Checked the muzzle crown and throat area? I'm not saying don't send it back, just that back in the day we sold a lot of H+R 22's and most wouldn't do any better than yours without some "finish work". First thing Dad did was get the thing really clean, then check for timing issues and then the muzzle and throat. H+R didn't always cut much of a forcing cone type of thing in the breech end of the barrel, so Dad had a lap type set up he used. Some were terribly rough and cut at a slant. Usually this would result in a much better shooting gun with the right ammo.

bcp477
09-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, well then. I suggest everyone go to the "Cast Boolits" section and look at the current thread about the S&W 629-6 5" (title: "S&W says no lead bullets for me"), with the junk barrel (incredibly bad forcing cone/ rifling leade) .....that S&W claims is just fine. S&W doesn't walk on water, either.

As for Taurus, they certainly have produced some rubbish over the years, no doubt. All I can say, though, is that the Taurus model 851 I have now is excellent. Very accurate, flawless function, well- finished, etc. I've put just about 1000 rounds through it, in about 4 months time - with nary a problem.

Piedmont
09-16-2011, 11:34 PM
I wonder what Taurus will do. It isn't broken, you have the holes in your target to prove it.

This reminds me of one of the jokes in one of the MANY internet Taurus threads. It goes like this: Taurus has a lifetime warranty. When it breaks you spend a lifetime trying to get them to fix it.

warf73
09-17-2011, 04:28 AM
No matter the maker I always clean the gun spotless. Then grab one box from every available 22 manufacture and see what the gun likes. I've got (3) 22 pistols and they all shoot different factory rounds if I want good groups.
You didn’t say if that was the first handful of rounds threw the gun or not. Most all 22’s seem to shoot better the more rounds put down the pipe.
Then again you very well may have got a turd from them.

tek4260
09-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Face the facts. It's a Taurus. Low rent sorry copy of someone else's design. Poorly constructed out of steel that is a step above pot metal, with springs that belong in a ball point pen. Those who own them know they are garbage, but feel the need to jump up on a soap box and defend them when someone posts a negative comment(otherwise known as the truth) about Taurus. We all have been fooled into buying one by their low price and neat configurations(like the 5 shot 44 and 45 Tracker), but quickly came to our senses and sold them after one trip to the range. :)

Walt
09-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Face the facts. It's a Taurus. Low rent sorry copy of someone else's design. Poorly constructed out of steel that is a step above pot metal, with springs that belong in a ball point pen. Those who own them know they are garbage, but feel the need to jump up on a soap box and defend them when someone posts a negative comment(otherwise known as the truth) about Taurus. We all have been fooled into buying one by their low price and neat configurations(like the 5 shot 44 and 45 Tracker), but quickly came to our senses and sold them after one trip to the range. :)

Brutally honest. I have that trait also. I'm getting better with it, but it still gets me in trouble from time to time.:coffee:

kyle623
09-17-2011, 07:51 AM
funny, I don't remember ever standing on a soap box when talking about how well my taurus's have performed. I have an M85 an a PT1911 and both have performed flawlessly to date. like any other gun maker, yes kimber and SW have both had jam omatics but they get a pass. i get so tired of people blaming the entire line of a maker, because they either got a lemon themselves, or heard a story from a friend of a friend about how bad his taurus is. I own smith,s rugers and others down to a lowly Jenning j22, and yes it hasn't blown up yet either and its 20 yrs old. if you got a lemon you got a lemon, doesn't matter who made it, they all make lemons now and then. If there's something wrong with your gun Jim taurus will fix it. Just my .02 for what its worth.

high standard 40
09-17-2011, 08:20 AM
funny, I don't remember ever standing on a soap box when talking about how well my taurus's have performed. I have an M85 an a PT1911 and both have performed flawlessly to date. like any other gun maker, yes kimber and SW have both had jam omatics but they get a pass. i get so tired of people blaming the entire line of a maker, because they either got a lemon themselves, or heard a story from a friend of a friend about how bad his taurus is. I own smith,s rugers and others down to a lowly Jenning j22, and yes it hasn't blown up yet either and its 20 yrs old. if you got a lemon you got a lemon, doesn't matter who made it, they all make lemons now and then. If there's something wrong with your gun Jim taurus will fix it. Just my .02 for what its worth.

This is so true. I worked for a sporting good distributor for 4 years and sold many thousands of firearms. One notable lemon was a M29 S&W that came back. The customer fired one cylinder full and could not eject the empty cases. I examined the gun when it returned and the issue was one case that was firmly stuck in the cylinder. After I pounded it out, the cause was obvious. The chamber reamer had chatter so bad in that one hole it looked like it had been done with a rat tail file. Lemons come in all flavors and price ranges. I had a Colt Python that shot 18" low at 50 yards with the rear sight elevated as far as possible. It was the "Silhouette" model. I sent it back to Colt and they found no issues with it. Even sent it back with a test target. Of course, they targeted it with 125 gr ammo. Who shoots silhouette with 125 gr bullets? I called the factory and they would not correct the issue. As I said, any gun can be a lemon regardless the price or name tag.

jh45gun
09-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Taurus is Mandarin for Lemon. Better luck next time, Jim. Here's how one guy modified his "Hi-Point" on U-tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7mKJNlm8Y&feature=player_embedded
I have no dog in this hunt as I have never shot or owned either. I am thinking about a Hi-Point, though, just from the cost factor.,

That guy is a MORON. HI Points may be inexpensive but they are about indestructible and accurate. (There are YOU TUBE video's that prove that ) I would make a bet if I Challenged that guy to bend over at that same distance and bet I could not shoot him in the posterior with a HI Point he would pass. LOL I have one in 45 ACP and it is accurate. Shoots cast well too once I got the barrel cleaned out well from shooting factory jacketed.

tomme boy
09-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Some of the holes look like the bullets are not stable. I had a 357 from them that did the same thing. Looked down the barrel and the rifling was really heavey on one side and a smooth bore on the other side.

subsonic
09-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Is a Taurus Lemon the one with the grip safety?

EOD3
09-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Is a Taurus Lemon the one with the grip safety?

And the ones without...

MtGun44
09-17-2011, 06:22 PM
My only first hand experience in detail was rebuilding a friend's Taurus 1911 into a reliable
pistol. While, to be totally honest it was not a ***, it was a real exercise in making a gun
with the lowest possible cost engineered into it. I own many 1911s from mil stock to pretty
high end and have worked on them for 30+ yrs. ALL the Taurus small parts were redesigned to
work with a sloppier fit than is normally required. I could go on about how each piece was
re-engineered to be cheaper to make and still work with less hand fitting.

The take home is that it is a low cost 1911. It reminds me of some of the 'consumer grade'
chainsaws. They absolutely work, but all the materials and design are for low cost and they
will wear out a lot faster than a Stihl, but for MANY customers, a 25 hr operating life means
it will last for 35 yrs because they cut about 45 min or less per year. For a pro, it will be done
in a week and a half. Different grades for diffferent users. Like a Harbor Freight hammer drill
for me. I might use it for 1 hour every other year. Fine for me, but would be worn out in a week
by a pro.

Same for this 1911 Taurus. It started misfiring and hammer following at about 1000 rds.
Frame, slide and bbl were good quality. So we replaced everything else with good parts and
now the gun runs like a champ. To a large extent you get what you pay for, but I do realize
that many folks only shoot a box or so per year, so the 1000 round point will come up in
20 yrs, so they will be happy with that sort of life. For some, that is 1 month of shooting.

Bill

MT Gianni
09-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I also wondered if the bullets were stable. Could you try it at 50 yards and using a large enough target, see if they are key-holing? If so send the target in as well.

MtGun44
09-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Some of them WERE keyholing. Look at top left hole and the bottom left three. Clearly
keyholing.

Bill

MT Gianni
09-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Some of them WERE keyholing. Look at top left hole and the bottom left three. Clearly
keyholing.

Bill

Clear to you and I but maybe not to Taurus.

NickSS
09-18-2011, 05:55 AM
I have a bunch of Taurus hand guns including a 4 inch 94 22 and they all worked well first time every time until the last one I just bought. It is a 4 inch blued tracker 22 RF convertible with a 22 mag cylinder. I bought it and took it to the range. I ran two cylinders of 22 RF through it with complete satisfaction. I switched cylinders and put one cylinder of 22 mags through it an then went back to the RF cylinder. At that point the revolver started misfiring. After careful examination this was caused by the cylinder locking bolt not coming up to latch the cylinder each time. Some times it would and others it would not. So I called Taurus and told them the issue. The emailed me a pre- paid shipping lable that I used to send it to them. This was on Monday a couple weeks ago. On Wednesday of the next week I got a call that fed EX would deliver my gun the next day. Unfortunately I was out and my daughter did not hear them at the door so they tried again Friday and I got it back. This was less than two weeks service time and the gun seams to have no issues. They noted and fixed three problems. They paid shipping both ways because it was a new gun not one that had been in use for some time. Anyway one problem out of 7 guns is not too bad and the prompt service was really nice.

tek4260
09-18-2011, 03:59 PM
The only reason more Taurus revolvers don't go back is that the people who buy them are not shooters like most here. They buy one just to have a handgun and buy it on price alone. I'd venture to say that 90+% of Taurus handguns are not fired more than 20-50 rounds in their lifetime. They reside in a nightstand until they are sold, stolen, or turned into a suicide special.

The ones that are actually shot a bit are returned for repair or find their way to the gunshow tables. Ever wonder why they outnumber other handguns at a show? New and used? The bedside owner doesn't frequent your favorite gun store. They hear an ad for a gunshow and think "I really need a handgun for protection" and go to the show and buy one based on price, thus all the new ones on the tables. The used ones come from us. We can't very well sell it at the shop we frequent and still be able to tell the truth about how ragged it is while we are all talking guns. So, it ends up as trade fodder at the next gunshow, passed on as a "lesson" to some poor soul.

People in the know and who actually shoot a bit buy better, and tend to hang on to them.

And yes, others have problems rarely. They aren't defective by design like Taurus though.

bcp477
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM
The only reason more Taurus revolvers don't go back is that the people who buy them are not shooters like most here. They buy one just to have a handgun and buy it on price alone. I'd venture to say that 90+% of Taurus handguns are not fired more than 20-50 rounds in their lifetime. They reside in a nightstand until they are sold, stolen, or turned into a suicide special.

The ones that are actually shot a bit are returned for repair or find their way to the gunshow tables. Ever wonder why they outnumber other handguns at a show? New and used? The bedside owner doesn't frequent your favorite gun store. They hear an ad for a gunshow and think "I really need a handgun for protection" and go to the show and buy one based on price, thus all the new ones on the tables. The used ones come from us. We can't very well sell it at the shop we frequent and still be able to tell the truth about how ragged it is while we are all talking guns. So, it ends up as trade fodder at the next gunshow, passed on as a "lesson" to some poor soul.

People in the know and who actually shoot a bit buy better, and tend to hang on to them.

And yes, others have problems rarely. They aren't defective by design like Taurus though.

Fascinating. You truly have ALL the answers, do you not ? We are truly blessed to have in our presence the Great Omniscient One......who sees all and knows all about the motivations, actions and intentions of everyone else. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

What a steaming PILE of rationalizations and made-up nonsense. You, sir have truly earned the award of the great :groner:

tek4260
09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks!! I like getting awards! :)

It almost sounds like something a stinking liberal would say, but if I can just keep one poor soul from buying one............:lol:

warf73
09-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Interesting observation tek4260 and not saying your incorrect about gun shows in your area. But I've always seen more Rugers and S&Ws on the tables compared to Tauras may it be new or used.
When my dad desided to get a judge he could never find one around here at gun shows so we orded it off of gunbroker.
I'll never say Tauras is all that with a glass of milk, but stick around and read. Every maker sends outs lemons just look down this page a guy bought a NIB BFR that had to go back with less than 20 round the tube. Another guy is having issue with a NIB S&W, and S&W told him tough cookies the gun is in spec and that was after a trip to factory with just a few rounds down the tube.

Just my .02

MtGun44
09-20-2011, 01:26 AM
MT Gianni - I agree that sending the target would be a good thing. Hard to argue with
boolits hitting 30-40 degrees off axis!

Bill

ocelott
09-23-2011, 01:53 AM
I've got a taurus gaucho in 45 colt 7.5" barrel. One cylinder out of the 6 shoots dead on - the other 5 print like a shot gun. I'm debating whether to have cylinder work done or trade it in for a different 45colt

69papatango
09-23-2011, 04:07 AM
I've owned my 6" 669 .357 for 20 years. I have fired thousands of rounds through it, from heavy to light and it is accurate and reliable. My Friend has the same pistol, only in stainless with no issues. I'm not sticking up for Taurus or Trashing them...I'm just sayin'

Multigunner
09-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Jim, I assume you gave it a thorough cleaning and tried several different brands of ammo? Checked the muzzle crown and throat area? I'm not saying don't send it back, just that back in the day we sold a lot of H+R 22's and most wouldn't do any better than yours without some "finish work". First thing Dad did was get the thing really clean, then check for timing issues and then the muzzle and throat. H+R didn't always cut much of a forcing cone type of thing in the breech end of the barrel, so Dad had a lap type set up he used. Some were terribly rough and cut at a slant. Usually this would result in a much better shooting gun with the right ammo.

I once owned a early production Ruger Bearcat that you couldn't hit the ground with if you dropped it and spit lead whose than any revolver I've seen yet.
Everything looked fine, cylinder timing was perfect.
I took it back to the dealer.

A few years back I looked up information on the Bearcat and found that some left the factory with no forcing cone cut. I figure thats what was wrong with mine.

Bret4207
09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Likely it could have been. I've seen a lot of SS Rugers that wouldn't shoot for beans. In fact that has pretty much kept me form ever owning one. I've yet to see a really accurate Ruger 22 revolver. Their auto OTH, well, they SHOOT!

shotman
09-23-2011, 08:12 AM
I have sent more smiths back that taurus. I have a new 380 and at 20 yds it put 6 in a 6in zone that is better than most of the little autos will do . Buddy has a 1911 its not a match gun but at the price it will do as good as the shooter, and with a little polish work would run lead good
I would send target too

Ken TN
09-23-2011, 08:18 AM

What can I say, I bought one of the 5 shot 44's years ago and in short order the firing pin spring failed and I had to send it back for repairs. I picked up a Thunderbolt 45 pump action for use in CASS and found that it spit in my face.
The Chamber seems to be oversized and you get LOTS of blowback around the bolt right into your eyes....I guess some people could actually be blind due to their quality. I always wear safety glasses but heven help the guy who forgets.

I am a fast learner.... I did not buy a Judge even though I have been waiting YEARS for some gun company to bring one out. I still have my Bond Arms for the 410 but will sell it once the Smith Govener is available.

I have many people that ask me about dirrerent guns and I always steer them away from Taurus. I still have the

twotoescharlie
09-23-2011, 08:41 AM
purchased one of the one of thewinchester pump clones several years ago, model 61 or 62 I think, after 2years of frusration and sending it back to Taurus ( 3 times) I finally used my Sawzall and sent it back to them in 6 inch pieces, never heard a word from them since. no longer will purchase Taurus products.

TTC

x101airborne
09-23-2011, 10:13 AM
purchased one of the one of thewinchester pump clones several years ago, model 61 or 62 I think, after 2years of frusration and sending it back to Taurus ( 3 times) I finally used my Sawzall and sent it back to them in 6 inch pieces, never heard a word from them since. no longer will purchase Taurus products.

TTC

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! Fix that!!

I have noticed that some of the older Taurus' seem to be the better ones, or at least there was a lesser chance of a lemon. Some of these new ones, I just dont know about.

Swampman
09-23-2011, 11:22 AM
"Taurus lemon" is a redundancy.

mdi
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I read the first 25 or so posts and read the "Taurus bashing". So, I gotta take the other side. Every manufacturer makes some duds. I've read about the Mod. 94 .22 being one of them. Personally, I read all I can about a gun before I buy one and if I see a few "dud reports", I'll usually pass. But, I own two Taurus revolvers; A Mod. 85 .38 Special and a Mod. 689 in .357 Magnum. Both are very good guns, never a failure and more accurate than me (I often got 2" groups @12 yds from the 2" Mod. 85). On one occation I had a major oops!. I loaded some 158 gr. LRNFP a bit over max., 3 grains, of True Blue. My mistake only. Shot 6 in the Mod. 689 and when I opened the cylinder, 2 primers fell out. The over loaded brass had to be driven out individually. But, there was no damage to the gun and it still functions fine and remains accurate. Could that happen with my S&W? or Ruger? Prolly, but the Taurus I own isn't junk by any means...

dubber123
09-24-2011, 07:48 AM
I won't relate any of my Taurus quality stories, but I can tell you my local shop has stopped stocking anything with the Taurus name. Unless a customer insists on ordering one, they are out of luck.

A friend also recently tried to trade in his concealed hammer Taurus revolver, (locked up TIGHT after each round). Taurus had repaired it properly to their credit, but once the shop heard Taurus, they told him "we don't accept Taurus' on trade" Hmmm...

EOD3
09-24-2011, 08:03 AM
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! Fix that!!

I have noticed that some of the older Taurus' seem to be the better ones, or at least there was a lesser chance of a lemon. Some of these new ones, I just dont know about.

The first few off the line after the factory was "converted" were pretty good guns mostly because they were still Smith & Wesson revolvers. Nationalized is the word they used when they took-over the factory from Smith & Wesson but confiscated is a lot more accurate.

Friends DO NOT let friends buy Taurus! 8-)

Walt
09-24-2011, 07:15 PM
I won't relate any of my Taurus quality stories, but I can tell you my local shop has stopped stocking anything with the Taurus name. Unless a customer insists on ordering one, they are out of luck.

A friend also recently tried to trade in his concealed hammer Taurus revolver, (locked up TIGHT after each round). Taurus had repaired it properly to their credit, but once the shop heard Taurus, they told him "we don't accept Taurus' on trade" Hmmm...

I work part time at a friends gun shop. The number one make of revolver that goes back for warranty work...Taurus. The number one make of pistol that goes back for warranty work...Taurus. 'Nuff said.

MT Gianni
09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
The first few off the line after the factory was "converted" were pretty good guns mostly because they were still Smith & Wesson revolvers. Nationalized is the word they used when they took-over the factory from Smith & Wesson but confiscated is a lot more accurate.

Friends DO NOT let friends buy Taurus! 8-)

To the best of my knowledge S&W have never been made outside the USA. They have been owned by Brits, but never have produced any gun with their name on it outside the US.

Doug Bowser
09-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I had a Taurus fixed sight .38 spl . It was a K framed sized revolver. It had 2 chambers that did not shoot within 6" of the rest of the chambers. I buy S&W revolvers that were made before 1975. I have a Model 10 5" .38 that will shoot Quarter sized groups at 25 yards off the sandbag. I also have a K38 Model 14 that will best the Model 10.

I guess it depends on what a shooter is looking for.

Doug Bowser

KYCaster
09-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Once upon a time I had one of those Taurus 9 shot 22 revolvers.

I was always amazed at how accurate it was. I hunted squirrels with it quite a bit, but I used it primarily for steel plate matches. :target_smiley:

The problem I had with it was a hitch in the double action pull. The problem was at the point where the trigger made the transition from the cocking lever to the seer. (forgive me if the nomenclature is wrong, I'm not a revolver 'smith, I just play one on TV [smilie=1:) I couldn't get it to smooth out to my satisfaction and the more I shot it the worse it got, so it got replaced with a Smith 617...now I'm happy.

Same thing with a pump action 22 rifle and a Beretta 92 clone....irritating little problems due to poor fit or tolerance stacking that I'd rather not deal with.

Now I just avoid the Taurus brand.

Jerry

EOD3
09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
To the best of my knowledge S&W have never been made outside the USA. They have been owned by Brits, but never have produced any gun with their name on it outside the US.

I'll see what I can do about finding the particulars but, IIRC S&W had built a factory and was preparing to manufacture revolvers there when the government decided to help themselves to S&W's property...

You'll find a little information in this document. The verbiage has been "cleansed" to make it sound more palatable but you need to keep in mind the political climate (dictatorship) in Brazil at the time.

http://www.vivario.org.br/publique/media/ArmasVitimas_PabloBenjaminJulio_EN.pdf

This is not the documentation I remember seeing so I'll keep looking.

daBear
09-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Been watching this one for a while and decided to jump in. I have had a few Taurus' over the years and for the most part they have been fairly decent. In fact one of my favorites is the Raging Bull in 454 Casull. However getting back to the OP's post, I have personally seen the 9422's consistently fail. Some may perform well but I would tend to think this is the unusual rather than the norm. The problem whcih I have seen consistently is the complete lockup of the cylinder rendering inoperable. I know Taurus USA has been pretty good with the problems u guys see in the States, but without a repair depot here in Canada we are pretty much screwed unless the distributor agrees to handle the problem.
Sorry to hear about the problems and hope it is resolved to your satisfaction.
Cheers[smilie=s:
dB

Multigunner
09-25-2011, 01:25 AM
I'll see what I can do about finding the particulars but, IIRC S&W had built a factory and was preparing to manufacture revolvers there when the government decided to help themselves to S&W's property...

You'll find a little information in this document. The verbiage has been "cleansed" to make it sound more palatable but you need to keep in mind the political climate (dictatorship) in Brazil at the time.

http://www.vivario.org.br/publique/media/ArmasVitimas_PabloBenjaminJulio_EN.pdf

This is not the documentation I remember seeing so I'll keep looking.

The PDF says S&W bought Taurus , then years later the factory was sold to local stockholders.
They speak of repatriating the factories, by the factory being bought up by local citizens, but not through seizure by the government as happened in post revolution Cuba.

EOD3
09-25-2011, 04:13 PM
The PDF says S&W bought Taurus , then years later the factory was sold to local stockholders.
They speak of repatriating the factories, by the factory being bought up by local citizens, but not through seizure by the government as happened in post revolution Cuba.

Haven't had the spare time to find the other documentation I was talking about... In a military dictatorship, there is no such thing as local citizens buying back property belonging to foreign investors.

mooman76
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Seems like Taurus either makes a good one or they make lemons. I'll buy a used one after it has proven it's ok but I won't buy a new one.

white eagle
09-25-2011, 04:42 PM
my wife owns a Taurus 22 revo
we have no issues with it
goes bang all the time

Multigunner
09-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Haven't had the spare time to find the other documentation I was talking about... In a military dictatorship, there is no such thing as local citizens buying back property belonging to foreign investors.

The Military gave up much of their authority before this.
The state owned banks helped native Brazilian businessmen buy up these factories, as private concerns rather than as property of the state.
The Military probably did put pressure on the non Brazilian owners to sell, but they didn't seize the properties, unlike Castro they couldn't afford to alienate long standing allies by seizing property owned by U S and other foreign interests.

BAGTIC
10-01-2011, 02:55 PM
keyholing.

Bill

Seems awful coincidental that the holes in the top left and the bottom left are those holes that hit the paper plate where it was curved and not flat. Shooting a paper target at an angle will leave an elongated hole that some unknowledgeable though irate shooters looking for a dog tro kick might take for a sign of tumbling when it is not.

Olevern
10-03-2011, 11:04 PM
I have two Taurus pump 22's and love them both. Accurate and reliable. Also a 45 Colt stainless steel, oct. bbl. lever action that I like. Your milage may vary. Just my 2 cents.

Multigunner
10-04-2011, 05:39 AM
I've fired several Taurus revolvers belonging to others and never had a problem with those.
IIRC two were .38 snubbies and one was a .41 Magnum.

Could be some of these revolvers suffer from the monday morning QC problem many U S automobiles suffered from.

peter nap
10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I've only owned two Taurus revolvers. A 38 spl 25 years or so ago and an Ultra lite 44 Mag that I still have.
I haven't had any problem with either except needing some locktite on the 44.

The 44 is my hiking gun because it shoots fairly well and is a joy to carry.

Multigunner
10-04-2011, 04:43 PM
If I bought several Taurus revolvers and had the same problems with those as I and my brother had with my Ruger Bearcat and my brothers .357 I'd never buy another Taurus. As it is I would only buy a Ruger that was pre owned so any bugs would have shown up long before I got it, and I'd insist on test firing it even then.
The Ruger double action .357 my brother brought over for test firing had deep cuts across the lands, bullets were so chewed up you could see them spinning sideways before striking a clay bank with no more velocity than if propelled by a slingshot.
My Bearcat was one of the early production pieces that somehow got past inspection 9if they even bothered inspecting these) with no forcing cone cut. You couldn't hit the ground with it if you dropped it, and it spit lead worse than any revolver I ever saw.
Both looked fine on the outside, but a pretty face hides an evil mind as they say.

Not excusing any brand name for letting dogs escape the factory, just putting it in perspective.
The minimum of effective Quality Control would have prevented any such issues.
The S&W design is fairly forgiving, its not that easy to manufacture a really defective revolver of that basic design if the factory is at all well set up and run.