PDA

View Full Version : PB vs standard Pat Marlin Gascheck maker

Lonegun1894
09-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes. I have several Lee moulds for my .45 Colts, to include the 252 gr PB, 255 gr PB, and the 300 gr GC designs. Using these out of various revolvers and leveractions, would y'all get the maker for the PB to use on the PB moulds, or the standard to just use on the 300 gr'er? Actually, would the PB GCs even work on the shank built into the 300? Just planning on putting in another order soon, and have to pick one or the other (for now) and trying to figure out which would be more beneficial. As it is right now, I get no leading out of the PB boolits, so not sure I need to GC them, but also not trying to turn these into speed demons, just standard deer level loads usually out of the Ruger section of load manuals. If any of you have any ideas/input, throw it in as it's all appreciated. Thanks in advance.

.30/30 Guy
09-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I have both 35 and 35 PB Checkmakers. My experience has been with a .357 Magnum.

I have two plain base .357 molds. Using the same batch of boolits and powder charge the PB boolits give better accuracy than the bare boolits.

I have one .357 gas check mold. Using the same batch of boolits and powder charge the 35 checks give better accuracy that the 35 PB checks. The PB checks go on the gas check shank OK but do not give the same accuracy.

Lonegun1894
09-19-2011, 06:22 AM
.30-30 Guy,
Thank you for the information. I use both checked and unchecked in my Rossi 92 .45, and accuracy with both is about equal, but it's also one of my favorite rifles so always looking for another variable to throw at it so see what it's really capable of and what loads i can tweak to improve. My .357 rossi seems to like anything i can stuff in it, but that .45 has had a few loads it just didnt like one bit. Thanks again.