PDA

View Full Version : want to start casting for BP

mac1911
09-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I have a TC omega Z5
I want to cast boolits for it. Again like all things I find a lot of choices.
Primary use will be target but would develope a load that could be used for white tail.
My first thought was the sabot that I could load my 45acp cast boolits into.

then my secound thought ?
Lee Real bullet, do you need patches with this thing ?
round ball ?
or maybe a larger bullet for the sabot use ?
any tips or direction

Maven
09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
The T/C is .50cal., right? If so, you can use sabots for .451" - .452" bullets, cast or jacketed, but read this thread first: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=127378 As for roundballs, you can try them, but the fast twist of your rifle isn't friendly to them. They'll work if you hold the velocity down, say no more than 60gr. FFg. I use them on occasion in my rifle, but it is VERY particular about ball diameter, patch thickness and black powder granulation, hence the FFg recommendation. As for the Lee REAL, you don't use or need a patch for it, and it can be quite accurate IF it casts large enough (pure Pb) to fit your Omega's bore.

09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Read the owner's manual. It will help you out. If you use a sabot, they don't use any lube. Patched RB's use a lubed patch. REALs, T/C maxi-balls, maxi-hunters,etc. use lube smeared onto the side of the boolit. Sometimes, the above boolits shoot well when used in conjunction a bore button or aka wonder-wad. Good luck.

mac1911
09-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I read the owners manual and it tells me all I need to know about TCs bullets and wads
I know round ball is not to good with the 1:28 twist

Im looking for a casting opption. I may go just go with a lee REAL mold to play with

GMT210
09-17-2011, 08:09 AM
I use a Mihec 45-270 SAA HP-Rd mold, sized to .452 with an MMP-HTH24 sabot with 100 grain(vol) of Blackhorn and Win 209 primer, out of my CVA Hunter bolt 26" barrel & 1:28" twist. Sighted in 1" high at 50 yds it is point and shoot out to 150yds. This combination has taken at least a dozen deer very effectively over the last couple of years.

GMT210

mac1911
09-17-2011, 11:43 AM
GMT210, thats the type of info im looking for. See now I have more things to consider. thank you

GMT210
09-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Mac1911,

Since your using a sabot you do not have to use dead soft lead. I typically use either 96-2-2 (Pb-Sn-Sb) or 94-2-4. That load is leaving the barrel at around 1850. That mold drops around 275gr with either of these alloys with the round HP pins.

GMT

mac1911
09-18-2011, 08:52 AM
good to know, I was wondering about the lead and was thinking the wad must act like a gas check. The more I look into it the more I am considering a heavy 45cal to put into the wad such as the mold you use. Do you have a preference with wads, I see limited choices on the wads

Maven
09-18-2011, 09:41 AM
"Do you have a preference with wads (sic), I see limited choices on the wads?"

Wads = Sabots? If so, look at this site: http://mmpsabots.com/ (And no, I'm not employed by them.)

Btw, if you're still intent on casting RB's for that rifle, look at your favorite auction site for a clean, used Lyman, Ohaus, RCBS, .50cal. RB mold . Better still, purchase or "borrow" some Hornady or Speer .50cal., RB's, both .490" & .495", to see which one fits your bore better and is more accurate. Btw, the molds I mentioned are made in both .490" & .495", but the .490" is more common. Also T/C .50cal. (.490" only) are quite well made and cast easily, but are anodized Al, whereas the others are Meehanite (iron).

GMT210
09-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Mac1911,

The number one thing is to slug your muzzleloader, use a powerbelt or round ball, if you have any laying around, if you have to bump it up use a wooden dowel to make sure you engrave it. Use the barrel bore size (engraved on the slug), not the groove size (Larger) and match it along with your sized cast boolit size up to the MMP HTH sabots, as Maven said "I'm not employed by them", just a very satisfied user.

I would also suggest using a Spin Jag Loader and their made to size solid annodized ram-rods. I had to replace mine and had them make one so that the Spin-Jag can stay on the ramrod while I'm in field. It made a huge difference in loading and cleaning my muzzleloader.

GMT

quilbilly
09-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Every muzzleloading barrel (rifle) I have owned has had a personality of its own. Some like sabot with a little grease on them and some don't. Even some of the 1:28 twist barrels have shot patched round ball pretty well. That is part of the fun of black powder rifles. I even have a Parker Hale 2-band Enfield that likes patched round ball more than mini's. Have fun and try a little of everything to discover those pleasant surprises

daschnoz
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I owe a couple of PiFs on the board. PM me your snail mail addr. I will send you a hand full of 0.490 RB (cast from wheel weights) with some lubed patches and a few 320gr REAL boolits (lubed and ready to fire). You can give them a try and see what they do.

white eagle
09-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't want to keep plugging Tom
@ Accurate Molds but....
he has a r e a l boolit design that is spectacular
well at least for me
I have shot some of my best groups ever with that boolit mold design
I shoot a 54 and cast out of 16-1 alloy
makes the prettiest lead mushrooms you have ever seen