PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL bullets in LAM using Lar's Red ?

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Hi guys,

I have a few Lee tumble lube bullets on hand and was wondering if it is practical/possible to run them thru a Lube A Matic and use Lar's Red lube on them instead of LLA ?

I'm down to my last ? bottle of LLA and have it earmarked for something else.

Thanks in advance ;)

'Slick
________
Blonde live (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/blonde-girls/)

Dale53
01-30-2007, 02:15 AM
A few years ago, I used hundreds of Lee TL .32 wadcutters that I ran through a conventional lube/sizer and used. They shot really well (accurate and no leading).

Dale53

Rick N Bama
01-30-2007, 07:50 AM
I run my TL452-200 boolits thru the luber and they pick up plenty, however a board member sent me a small supply of the Lee TL410-210 boolit that simply would not take it. I had to use the LLA on those.

Rick

Maven
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
'Slick, The ease of using LLA is overshadowed by the mess it makes and by the time it takes to remove the CB's from the goo, line them up, and wait for them to dry. I do what Dale 53 does and find it much faster, cleaner and less likely to produce bbl. leading up to ~1,200fps (the fastest I've pushed the TL design).

Treeman
01-30-2007, 11:44 AM
'Slick, The ease of using LLA is overshadowed by the mess it makes and by the time it takes to remove the CB's from the goo, line them up, and wait for them to dry. I do what Dale 53 does and find it much faster, cleaner and less likely to produce bbl. leading up to ~1,200fps (the fastest I've pushed the TL design).

Great flaming hemorroids Maven! Did you ever consider following the directions on the bottle? Using LLA properly is easy peasy.

rbstern
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I use a 158 grain SWC TL with Carnauba Red via an RCBS luber. Excellent results, leaves a clean barrel in 38 special and moderate 357 mag loads.

Maven
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Treeman, Was there something about my post that indicated I don't know how to read, follow instructions, or both? FYI, I followed the instructions explicitly, and will concede that coating the TL's with liquid alox is fast, but no faster than running them through an oversized die in my lube-sizer. Haven't you noticed that spilling the alox-covered CB's onto waxed paper results in an uneven coating? Standing them on their bases largely eliminates the problem, but takes a bit of time, whereas the lube-sizer is just as fast (factoring in the drying time) and far less messy.

dragonrider
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I size and lube a 9mm tumble lube design through my Lyman 450 using a .358" die, it results in more than enough lube on the boolits and very little leading. And it's clean, it dosen't clog up my seating die. Maven is exactly right, LLA is more of a pita that it is worth.

Treeman
01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Maven, I'm sorry I threw the flaming hemorroids at you. I just don't see the big mess from following the directions. A little extra lube on one side of the boolit does no harm that I can detect. If LLA isn't over applied it dry nicely and doesn't cause a rapid build up in seating stems.

GP100man
01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
i run my tl 38 thru the450 & carnauba red 38 & 357 loads works for me !!!
GP
:castmine:

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys ;)

I will give it a try and see how things turn out.
________
UGGS (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

Newtire
01-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I used the Lars Carnauba Red on the Ranch Dog TL 44 group buy. The Lee TL puts a coating on the bore riding section of the boolit just dandy and doesn't really make any more mess than the leaky Lyman sizing dies. I work on transmissions though so dirty stuff never really bothered me that much. It does wash off.

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Anybody happen to have a pic of a TL boolit with conventional lube on it ? Is it still reasonably clean to handle ? I'm not opposed to getting my hands dirty in the least, I just handle sticky bullets differently than others to minimize the cleanup when I'm done.
________
Yamaha Nouvo (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Nouvo)

Sundogg1911
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I stay away from Lee's ear wax. I've had bad luck with it. I don't buy the TL bullets for the same reason. that said, I dont see why you couldnt use the TL bullets in a sizer/luber. they may not look pretty, but they should shoot well