PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Mernickle Holster!

W.R.Buchanan
09-15-2011, 06:51 PM
I did in fact just order that Mernickle Holster for my SBH Bisley I spoke of in the Ruger Flattop thread above. Received today 10/13 see pics down page.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/index.htm

This is the good stuff! This is NOT cheesy mass produced stuff. This is hand made "best quality" work. I have seen several and they are definately what I want as far as quality and design. It's 4-5 weeks out.

I got an FC2 for $89.95 and a matching belt for another $89.95 This is a Field Carry type of holster, not a fast draw or western style holster. Used primarily on Jeep trips or hunting trips, for my backup gun.

If you go to the "Field Carry" section on the Mernickle website above and click on FC2 you will see a pic of nearly the exact holster I'm getting.

If you go to the "Gallery Section page 4" you'll see the same holster as a 7.5" version.

This style of holster carries the gun deep, IE: the trigger guard and the cylinder is covered, and is what you want for field carry, however as the holster breaks in the draw gets faster. You need the matching belt so the holster doesn't ride up when you draw. Also since the gun is carried deep in the holster and form fitted the only way it is falling out is if someone picks you up by the ankles and shakes you senseless. There is no safety strap or hammer loop on it that would get in the way if you go for the gun at an unexpected time. Like when you actually need it!

This holster can be worn either strong side or crossdraw. So it is very versitile. I even see it being readily adaptable to my backpack harness for chest carry, with some small amount of enginuity, and some Nylon strapping.

Pretty sure it will work for both of my guns for just about any usage I can think of and if I decide to go Cowboy then I'll get another one for the BH Bisley too.

Do look into this brand, They are very big in the Cowboy action shooting arena, and I was personally directed to them by Gene Pearcy/ Evil Roy himself. He's about as strait a shooter as there is.

Pretty sure were gonna be exstatic when it gets here. :guntootsmiley:

Randy

Keyston44
09-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Mernickle makes nice leather gear. I have the PS6-SA that I use as my woods holster. I like my guns high and tight to the body like all my concealment holsters. My only concern with Mernickle holsters is they are a single layer pancake style so they flex alot.

Key

EOD3
09-17-2011, 02:22 PM
It's a bit of a drive but, they have always (for years that I remember) had a booth at the Reno gun show (at the hotel that used to be the Hilton).

LouisianaMan
09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I've got several of his holsters, belts, and cartridge carriers--couldn't be happier.

W.R.Buchanan
10-07-2011, 09:19 PM
still waiting for delivery should be here next week

Randy

EOD3
10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
still waiting for delivery should be here next week

Randy

I don't think you'll be disappointed with his work.

rintinglen
10-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I think you'll be badly disappointed, probably heart broken. In fact, just to spare a fellow caster the awful agony, I'll let you just forward it to me, even though it may hurt. I am not afraid of sacrifice if it helps a fellow shooter.

All kidding aside, Bob Mernickle makes great holsters. His leather work is absolutely top notch--I only wish I was half that good.

Moonman
10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Good Holsters and leather work.

EDK
10-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I have several of MERNICKLE's Cowboy Action Shooting rigs. The last holster I ordered took about three weeks...called to change the order and found out it was on the way.

This week I ordered one of their PALADIN holsters for a 7.5 inch 44 magnum Original Size VAQUERO. Stormy Mernickle took the order, listened to what I wanted and said "no problem" even though it was a non catalog item. Every time I've dealt with them, it has been a good experience. They will diplomatically advise you of potential problems and why your idea might not be so good.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

W.R.Buchanan
10-08-2011, 03:09 PM
with all the positive and no negative I think I made a good choice.

My biggest problem is I can't wait, the anticipation is just killing me!

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I got it today and it's cooooool.

I got the FC2 Field Carry model along with a proper belt to go with it.

The quality on the workmanship is far beyond what I was expecting. The belt is extra heavy for stiffness

This holster can be worn either strong side or crossdraw, and it doesn't move on the belt at all!,,, so drawing the gun even from the brand new"unbroken in" holster is fast and positive.

Mind you, I have to learn how to use it. But, it will be a short transition.

It fits both my SBH Bisley and My BH Bisley equally well.

I think I'm gonna get a lot of use out of this one.

Randy

EDK
10-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Nice looking rig.

You now know why Mernickles gets so many repeat customers.

txbirdman
10-13-2011, 08:25 PM
W.R., I've got one just like yours for my Old Model Vaquero. Do you find the gun top heavy when carried cross draw? I found that to be the case with mine so I mostly carry in the strong side position. Bob makes good stuff.

W.R.Buchanan
10-14-2011, 12:27 AM
TX: I have only had the rig strapped on. It needs to be threaded thru the belt loops.

Really the thing is a little top heavy either way and that's because the majority of the gun is above the belt. Less so in strong side carry but still there.

If it was lower the holster would try to rotate outward when you drew the gun, and grab.

I run into this problem with my Kydex Bladetech Holsters for my Glocks. They have the majority of the gun below the belt line, and as such you have to index your thumb onto the top of the holster and push off with your thumb while pulling the gun out of the holster. If you fail to do this the holster hangs the gun up and you blow the draw. This is something I have to think about before each draw. If I carried I would have to practice alot so this would be a rote part of my draw.

The whole reason I got a holster that can do both types of carry is because I need to carry cross draw when driving, and want to carry strong side when walking around. I can even sit down with this in strong side and not have it jam up into my armpit, but it is more comfortable in a car crossdraw.

Randy