PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bisley 45 colt/45 ACP

Rafe Covington
09-15-2011, 03:43 PM
I just ordered one of these revolvers, can 45 Auto Rim brass be used in the 45 ACP cylinder. The dealer said he didn't know, if anybody knows would appreciate the info.

Rafe:redneck:

Shooter
09-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't know about the Bisley, had a Vaquero in ACP. Rimmed brass not needed, headspaces on the case mouth.
If you just want to use auto rim brass I don't know if it will clear the recoil shield.

Dutch4122
09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
................................ can 45 Auto Rim brass be used in the 45 ACP cylinder. The dealer said he didn't know, if anybody knows would appreciate the info.
Rafe:redneck:

I seem to remember reading someplace in the past that the .45 Auto Rim brass cannot be used. Besides, the original ACP brass works just fine when punched out by the single action ejector rod, right?

WARD O
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
If you want to shoot the AR brass then the rear of the 45 auto cylinder would need to be relieved enough for the thick rim to clear the recoil shield. Don't do this to the 45 colt cylinder or it will no longer be able to safely shoot the 45 colt.

Since the 45 auto brass would work just fine with out modifying the cylinder, most would see little value in using the AR.

There is also some brass in use by some of the cowboy action shooters that is called the 45 special. It is a 45 colt shortened up to look similar to the 45 AR but with the thinner 45 colt rim. These rounds can be fired in the 45 Colt cylinder. I've read where the CB action shooters have spoken well of it. I've played with this a little without much success for accuracy in a couple of my Ruger BH's.

Ward

Catshooter
09-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Couldn't in my Ruger. Clever of Ruger. All they had to do is shorten the rear of the cylinder about .025 and you could.

Cat