PDA

View Full Version : 1911 shooting high

Matthew 25
09-14-2011, 01:10 AM
I have an 80's model Para Ordnance P-12 (3.5" barrel) in 45 acp. The sights are set 3 dot. The gun functions and groups well, but it shoots high. I mean really high. At 15 yards it is at least a foot high. It's a little high at 100 yards. It seems to be dead on at 150 yards, very handy. Is there anything a gunsmith can do to adjust the angle of the barrel, or can it only be addressed with sights?
Thanks.

tomme boy
09-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Taller front sight is going to be the cheapest thing to do.

HeavyMetal
09-14-2011, 02:08 AM
several places, like Brownell's, offer extra tall sites so they can be cut down and adjusted to a specific load at a specific range.

You may try playng with different boolit weights and velocities to see if you can hit a load that works for the gun.

This takes some work and a bit of luck. If the group is centered I'd opt for a specific load and file a taller front site down to work at a range I thought suitable for pistol in question.

leftiye
09-14-2011, 04:56 AM
I get a high from shooting mine! (or any gun) Do the primers get hit dead center? Does holding it tighter do any good? Lighter boolits may help.

Heavy
09-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Load and shoot a lighter slug. Heaver boolits shoot higher.

Matthew 25
09-15-2011, 12:14 AM
I did buy some 180g XTP-looking things with a little pointy plastic thingy in the middle of the hollow point...I just couldn't bring myself to shoot them, or load them for that matter. It's bad enough having a gun with plastic on it, but good grief, a bullet with plastic??? Maybe I'll try them.
Thanks for the ideas, looks like putting a tall front is the best option.

cowboy
09-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Howdy-
Second vote for a taller front sight. Another thought- is the mainspring housing flat, or arched? For me, the arched housing changes the grip angle radically, and I end up shooting really low; flat one puts them where they need to be- went to all flat housings on my 1911's years ago. You may have a similar situation if you have a flat housing , but require an arched one.
In any event, a taller front sight will bring the point of impact into agreement with the sights if you are happy with the mainspring housing you have on now. :wink: