PDA

View Full Version : Bore Riders

brad925
09-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Just wondering if setting you OAL so that the CB is engraving the rifling and using smokless powder is safe. Was told it was but want another opinion. I know shooting jackets it can cause sevre pressure spikes. Is this the same with cast and smokeless.

leftiye
09-14-2011, 05:07 AM
Not so much - lead is softer. Many folks here set boolits against the leade. Bore riders are supposed to be inserted into the bore. They are supposed to be of a size that they engrave lightly on the tops of the lands.

stubshaft
09-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Are you talking about a true bore rider like Leftiye described or just seating a regular boolit out to engage the rifling?

brad925
09-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Just out to engage the rifling.

madsenshooter
09-15-2011, 02:06 AM
It would probably raise the pressure slightly, vs the same load with the bullet set back off the rifling, just as jacketed bullets do. It would be less of an increase with the lead bullets as it would take less pressure to overcome the resistance to engraving of the cast boolit vs that of the jacketed variety. You'll probably get better accuracy with the boolit in the rifling, but I hear there are exceptions to that too.

Bret4207
09-15-2011, 07:55 AM
As a general rule I seat all my rifle boolits into the throat and leade to the point of light engraving. The only time I don't is when mag length or boolit length prevents it or the rifle says it doesn't like that.