PDA

View Full Version : Another Use For Stainless Tumbling...

Sonnypie
09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I have a bunch of FMJ BT bullets I removed, and Dad and I removed, over the decades to rework some old 1934 Federal Arsenal 30-06 ammo. (Corrosive primers)
I got curious and ran about 250 of them for 3 hours in the STM drum.

WAH-ZOO! :shock:

Here they are fresh and dry:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9130032.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9130033.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9130034.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9130035.JPG

There are some on the left I hollow pointed.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Honey,
Where is the silverware? :lol:

Moonman
09-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Nice Looking.

deltaenterprizes
09-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Thank you sir! I have some 30 cal 168 gr match bullets that are grungy and was looking for a way to shine them up!

blikseme300
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Sonnypie,

You are over the moon with the SS media as I am. I have no brass left that still needs to be cleaned.

My method is as follows:

SS media.
2 lbs of brass.
Water till 1" from top
1/2 tsp Lemi-Shine
1/2 tsp Dawn

Run Thumler for 2 hours.

Rinse and separate using media separator and running water.

Tumble brass in large towel.

Place brass in colander and leave in Texas sun for 1 hour.

Voila! Stare at purdy looking brass.

Bliksem

jakharath
09-15-2011, 10:14 AM
Bliksem - where do you purchase your SS media?

Sonnypie
09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
"Place brass in colander and leave in Texas sun for 1 hour."

That right there is the secret ingredient. ;)
Same reason line dried clothes are so nice and fresh.

I wanted to try it and it worked great!
Subsequent loads were run less and still came out just as beautiful.

Around my shop everything has to have more than one use, or it:
A. Isn't there.
B. Doesn't stay.

Tinkers Damn?
I'm a damn tinkerererer. :groner:

blikseme300
09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Bliksem - where do you purchase your SS media?

Bought the whole kit here: http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

Bliksem

Sonnypie
09-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Something else worth mentioning is that my shop hollow pointed FMJ BT bullets in that test run got deburred around the hole from the drilling operation.
Gave them a nice finished look.

thehouseproduct
09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
I have been cleaning up gunked up shell holders and it works great. Next up are some old dies I want to put up for sale.

Sonnypie
09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
I was eyeballin a jar full of pennies...

But at today's inflation, they probably aren't worth the soap. :drinks: :lol:

7of7
09-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I took one of my old sizer dies (that had been scratched on the inside) and bored it out, and made it into a universal decap die..
So, I have decapped everything I have, and have cleaned it all.. the Lortone that I found on craigslist worked great, then one day, it just wouldn't turn the drum... I figured it out though after a few minutes.. the end that has the slot for the top screw was the problem.... I lengthened the slot, and it works great now.. I probably over load the 12 lb tumbler to 15 or so lbs.. everything gets clean..

thehouseproduct
09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is a picture different then others. I cleaned some Berdan brass I hydraulically deprimed.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/40bafd02-68e5-283e.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
10-02-2011, 11:17 PM
House: what are you using the Berdan primed brass for?

Is it one time usage for some place that won't let you pick up your brass?

Also is that device with the cartridge on top a depriming device or is it a bullet sizer?

Randy

thehouseproduct
10-03-2011, 12:18 AM
That is my Lyman 45, I just set the brass on top for a picture. I wanted to reload some berdan just because. it's a pita, I wouldn't want to do lots of it.

W.R.Buchanan
10-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I have known about Berdan primed brass since I was in the 5th grade. One of my friends had a Mauser rifle he had bought from the Thrifty drug store, ,Yes in 1959 you could buy guns from the drug store here in Ventura CA.

He told me about filling the cases and hitting a piece of 5/16" rod to knock out the primer.

I went over to his house one afternoon after to watch him and found out he was using motor oil! Since my mother would have beaten me senseless had I came home covered with oil I declined to participate. He actually reloaded those cases, (at 10 years old) and we fired them the next Saturday on a big trip to the Police pistol range. Now closed for budgetary reasons by our "non partisan city council" made up of all democrats in a largely Republican district. They will be removing the Paid Parking system they installed in the Ventura downtown area without voter consent this fall, as the removal motion is on the ballot and will pass by a landslide.. Gottta love em!

I realized this was too much work early on, and when I saw the price of the primers I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be doing it, but I'd still like to know how to do it just in case I need to some time in the future.

I have to live up to my slogan in my signature.

Randy

jonk
10-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I'd love a SS set up if I had the money and space and time. Failing that I've had a lot of luck with the citric acid method to clean up tarnished stuff. It also removes more powder residue from the inside of the case than just tumbling; but even ultrasonic doesn't get the inside of the brass as squeaky clean as SS.

I don't care if my brass is perfectly clean mind you, I like it on the principle of one batch lasts forever, with no dust.

Moonman
10-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm Stainless Steel Tumbling right now. Once fired 45ACP, I'm only tumbling for 1 hour with Dawn and Lemi-Shine and S.S., It looks GREAT.

I took some BEFORE and AFTER to a S&W show Saturday and everyone was amazed at how clean the primer pockets were.

Sonnypie
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Randy,
Back in the early 1960's Dad and I encountered some Berdan Primed cases. Not knowing any better, we broke a few decapping pins. :evil:
Once we figured it out, those cases got recycled into the trash.
I think the name is misspelled... I believe it is Bedamned Primed. :-?