PDA

View Full Version : Bullet point reforming die?

stealthshooter
09-13-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm looking for a die to reform the points on some bulk .458" 400 grain flat nose bullets. Do you guys have any suggestions?

NSP64
09-14-2011, 11:48 AM
what happened to the bullet noses?
What shape are you wanting to make them?

ReloaderFred
09-14-2011, 01:14 PM
The die would not only have to be made to form the point, but also of the proper diameter, so the size won't change when the nose is reformed. The die would probably cost somewhere around $100.00, judging by what swaging dies are going for.

Unless the shape is really unique, it would probably be cheaper to buy the bullets you want, but if you cast, then a bullet mold of the right shape would be in order.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DukeInFlorida
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree with Fred. If they're cast bullets, better off to get a different mold to make the shape that you are looking for.

I've done some messing around with reforming points, mostly with a Swage-O-Matic set of tools (most of theirs were semi wad cutters).

When I go from round nose to semi wad cutter, it goes quite nicely.
When I try to move the lead from a flat nose to a swc, the grease grooves start getting mashed, which is counter productive. I always cast, and then resize/lube BEFORE reforming. I want the lube to be in the grooves before starting out.

It mostly has to do with pressures required to move the metal from one shape to another. Some are easier (less pressure) and some are more difficult.

We're presuming that you are referring to reforming cast lead bullets, even though you didn't specify.

To worry about this with jacketed bullets is less productive, in my opinion.

stealthshooter
09-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I would be using it to turn jacketed flat and round nose bullets into a spire point. I'm wanting to shoot 350 and 400 grain bullets in my 450 bushmaster but the only ones that are available are either flat or round nose. I had a fellow build me some and they worked out great. I'm thinking that in the long run it's going to be cheaper for me to buy the setup myself though and not use the middle man.

MIBULLETS
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I would run them through a sizer to reduce the diameter about .002 - .003 them run them into a point form die of your choosing. This will allow them to easily enter the point form die and not get stuck, then the point form die will bring them back up to full diameter.

One thing to remember...if they have much lead exposed in their current form, they will have a large lead tip after putting them into a spire point shape.