PDA

View Full Version : RCBS pro melt temp

Tertle
09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi team was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice.

Recently i became the proud owner of a RCBS promelt, i bought it second hand from a trusted fellow lead caster. The pot sits next to my borrowed Lee bottom pourer that i thought i could return to its rightful owner, however recently i had both going whilst i was having a great old cook up. had some of the usual suspects all in the garage, however we noted that the lead from the lee pot poured better, so my buddy went and got an infa red temp gauge, the RCBS was unable to get to the lead to the temp that the Lee did.

This issue was discussed at length and soon we came to the idea that i should get a sparky to look at it and get the thingameejig that dictates the heat fixed.

My question is has anyone else had a similar issue, how hard is it to fix, are there parts i can get in from the states to fix this myself?

cbrick
09-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Call RCBS, good chance they will ship you the parts needed. No, nothing complicated in there but a multimeter will tell you if you need a heating element or thermostat or both. Could be wiring also and that's even easier and cheaper to fix.

The folks at RCBS are great to deal with, give them a call.

Rick

Tertle
09-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Call RCBS, good chance they will ship you the parts needed. No, nothing complicated in there but a multimeter will tell you if you need a heating element or thermostat or both. Could be wiring also and that's even easier and cheaper to fix.

The folks at RCBS are great to deal with, give them a call.

Rick

cheers

i will get a sparky to do the multimeter thing and then give them a call, bit long distance but possibly worth while! its a very good set up amd i do like it.

ronbo
09-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Not sure if the RCBS adjustment knob is the same as a Lyman Mag 20 but aquired a new Mag 20 this spring, was not getting hot enough to stop spout feeze up in use. Adjusted the temp adjust screw inside the knob shaft with a jewelers screwdriver. Turned it just slightly counter clockwise to raise the temperature and watched the temp rise with a lead thermometer works great now.

Tertle
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Ronbo, thats the type of info im after, my friends told me of some type of internal wires that regulates the temp and that if they were to be bent in such a manner then it would take longer for the wires to meet again, im no electrician and think it may just be easy to drill out the rivets and let a sparky to have a look at it

evan price
09-17-2011, 10:12 PM
I have to run my PRO-MELT at 800 on the dial to keep it from freezing the spout.