PDA

View Full Version : Rem shotgun hulls question

big tony
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Hello, I need help ,I have been given several hundred Rem police shotgun hulls. They were loaded with 9 pel of 00 LF frangible buck. There are high brass and I intend to load these back with 00 buck but i have heard so much bad news about Rem hulls. Has anyone used these shells? any information would be apre.

Fishman
09-13-2011, 03:47 PM
The newest Lyman reloading manual has pictures of all of the latest hull offerings. If you cross-section one length-wise, you can figure out which hull you have and then use the correct loading information from the manual.

I've reloaded a lot of Remington hulls in the past, mostly with steel shot, and been entirely satisfied with them. I wouldn't expect a lot of reloads out of one of their cheap hulls, but since you were given them, that's not a huge deal.

big tony
09-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Hello,
I found out from a shotgun chat room the shells are called a type 6 or SP .They also told me they are SPELV which means special purpose extra large volume. I have been casting 00 buck and I want to use these shells if I can find load data for them. Thanks for any help.

Fishman
09-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I checked the Lyman #5 manual I referenced and the two Remington cases they list are the STS which is a low brass hull with a tapered interior with no separate basewad, and the hi brass Remington plastic hunting with a 1/4"'yellow basewad. There are buckshot loads for both. I suspect the shells you have may be the latter.

tomme boy
09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Do they have a black base wad? They sound like their steel shoot hulls.

Newtire
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
I load alot of Remington hulls in 10 ga and have real good luck with them. Get yourself a roll crimper from Precision Reloading and use a drill press to roll crimp them. Lower pressures and lots more shot room that way.

flounderman
09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
if you are using them for hunting, get some 000. you can load any load in any case. just have to adjust the wad column. select your powder charge, put a wad over it, put the amount of shot in you want to use and see how much crimp area you have. change the wad or use a filler wad. I would load everything in aa cases if I had a choice. if it's free, the price is right and it can be made work.