PDA

View Full Version : No 1 vs No 4

rollmyown
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
I'm just curious is there any diference in price or availability between No 1 and
No 4 303's (asuming same condition) The number 1 seems to be more common in my neck of the woods.

Four Fingers of Death
09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
IN my experience, the No4s always commanded a better price, which is reasonable, they are a lot rarer here and a bit more desirable, but the old SMLE has it's own charms.

Ed in North Texas
09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
The NO 4, particularly in Mark 2 configuration seems to be the most desirable to most. It is the last of the SMLE line, and most examples weren't much used. For shooters who are either used to receiver sights from US military service, or are older and open sights are getting harder to use (or both, like me), the receiver sight of the No 4 is an advantage for shooting. And finally, there were many, many No 1 Mark III SMLEs made. I'm not sure how many No 4 Mark 1s were made during WW II, but apparently there were not quite so many, and particularly after the war in Mark 1* remake or Mark 2 configuration. Part of this may be that the Indian and Pakistani arsenals, and I believe the Australian production during the war, were all still making No 1s.

Four Fingers of Death
09-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Lithgow Small Arms Factory which is 60kms (36miles) away from where I live, produced SMLEs up till the time the SLR (Aussie built FN/FAL, also made at Lithgow) was introduced in the late 50s. So, there are lots around.

leadman
09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
My #4 MK2 was made in 4/54. Really nice rifle!

Four Fingers of Death
09-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Good! Built after Korea, that wouldn't have been knocked around, not that it seems to worry them much.

303Guy
09-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Ummm .... just to be technically correct, the SMLE is the No.I MkIII . The nomenclature changed and the Mk IV became the No.4 because it was a new design. Roman numerals were dropped. Originally, the Lee Enfield was not called the No.I.
My 1902 is a LE Mk I*. Then came the Sht L E then the SMLE or No.I MkIII.
But SMLE and No.4 refer to different models of Lee Enfield.:drinks:

I find the No.4 more desireable but I like the lighter barrel of the SMLE. Earlier LE Mk I's had heavier barrels and no clip charger bridges. I like those models too.

Four Fingers of Death
09-14-2011, 06:49 AM
I carried one as a cadet in the Aussie Army when I was 14. I was a tall, big framed skinny lad and was growing out of my uniforms ever six months. That SMLE weighed a ton and I was sure I would end up with arms like a monkey!

dromia
09-14-2011, 07:59 AM
I prefer to shoot the No 1 as it seems to do better at the longer ranges and my Historic Arms competition rifle is a No 1. However the No 4 has better issue sights being an aperture and therefore I find it easier to shoot, it also has a longer sight radius which should help accuracy.

adrians
09-14-2011, 08:01 AM
i got one of each and well ,,,,, heck i can't decide :twisted:[smilie=b::twisted:

rollmyown
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I snared a SMLE today. It's BSA made but has Australian wood I think (stamped MA). I think it's last trip to the armourer was 1950 (it has 50 stamped on the underside of the pistol grip)

It has all matching serial numbers, and was manufactured in 1918. Barrel is very bright and shiny with sharp rifling and no pitting.

The guy wanted $500. I offered $350 and he said OK without hesitation.
Now the 28 day wait begins (time it takes for the permit application permit to be approved).

Did I do OK?

dromia
09-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Congratulations, looks like you've done well only the target will tell how much of a bargain it really is.

Ed in North Texas
09-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I snared a SMLE today. It's BSA made but has Australian wood I think (stamped MA). I think it's last trip to the armourer was 1950 (it has 50 stamped on the underside of the pistol grip)

It has all matching serial numbers, and was manufactured in 1918. Barrel is very bright and shiny with sharp rifling and no pitting.

The guy wanted $500. I offered $350 and he said OK without hesitation.
Now the 28 day wait begins (time it takes for the permit application permit to be approved).

Did I do OK?

If you are happy, you did OK. Financially, not knowing where you are located (obviously not the US, not even the People's Republic of California) makes it impossible to determine prices.

adrians
09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
28 days ----- permit ---- what kind of crazy talk is this i'm hearing?:evil::kidding::evil:
just jesting but seriously what state or country makes you go through all that for a 93 year old firearm ,,,,,? just curious'
enjoy your new rifle they are truly wonderfull shooters ,,,,i think so anyhoo :evil:[smilie=w::evil:

rollmyown
09-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Yes, I agree, if the permit applicant already has 1 or more guns it makes no sense. If it is your first, I see there may be a point and a benefit.

I understand there is a review of the laws at the moment, and this one may change.
(the possibility of a change might also be an urban myth amongst shooters as well)

bwgdog
09-14-2011, 07:33 PM
It would make it so much easier to understand a persons post subject if you post your location-Needs to be a requirement. Thank You BTW are you in Taz? barry

bydand
09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
A No1 Mk1, 1902-1906 (common description) is also a SMLE. They can easily cost more than any nice No4.

Four Fingers of Death
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Yes, I agree, if the permit applicant already has 1 or more guns it makes no sense. If it is your first, I see there may be a point and a benefit.

I understand there is a review of the laws at the moment, and this one may change.
(the possibility of a change might also be an urban myth amongst shooters as well)

In NSW, we are the only state in Australia that I know of that has their own political party with two senators elected. We have much better laws as a result. We still need permits, etc but after the first gun, there is no waiting or cool off period as they call it. They also don't care how many guns you ant or have or how many in any given calibre you already own, if you meet the criteria, they just issue the permits. I once applied for 25 at the same time and they were approved. Get political or get trodden on.

I didn't realise they trusted you Taswegians with guns, lol just joking, hope to visit there later this year.

rollmyown
09-15-2011, 05:49 AM
It would make it so much easier to understand a persons post subject if you post your location-Needs to be a requirement. Thank You BTW are you in Taz? barry

Yes, did my accent give it away? :grin:

303Guy
09-15-2011, 06:50 AM
A No1 Mk1, 1902-1906 (common description) is also a SMLE.Many Mk I's were modified into SMLE's. I have a 1902 LE MkI* which was not. It now carries a No4 barrel and an SMLE trigger. I have a 1906 Sht LE that was the fore-runner to the SMLE with the clip charger an integral part of the receiver on the one side and built into the bolt head on the other.

rollmyown
09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
There's alot to learn about these rifles (lot's of history and development) I have Ian Skennertons big Lee Enfield book. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

I've also been told by a local milsurp guru that the SMLE in question is probably not authentic and most likley a frankengun (brit steel/aussie wood).
No matter, at least it has matching numbers and a good bore.
If it doesn't shoot (I expect it will) I'll change it for 1 that does.

303Guy
09-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Muzzle area damage from pull through's is a possible cause of inaccuracy and is a bit serious. Bedding issues are more likely but are curable. There is a technique for packing SMLE barrels into the fore-ends but I don't know it. I've had good results with a free floated SMLE barrel with a snugly bedded action - fully bedded. This gun seemed to shoot a range of ammo to the same POI. It wasn't a bug-hole shooter though. Not with my hand loads anyway.