PDA

View Full Version : Nipple Wrench

JIMinPHX
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I got frustrated using a low quality store-bought nipple wrench on a Pietta Brother's cap & ball revolver, so I ended up making my own. I thought that others might find that sort of thing useful, so I decided to post a picture or two. I originally cross drilled it so that a little piece of steel rod could be used as a cheater bar if needed, but I haven't needed it yet, so I left it out of the drawing.

DIRT Farmer
09-13-2011, 09:21 AM
I have made them from 1/4 inch sockets using a Dermal tool. They are much stronger than the stamped ones.

smoked turkey
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Jim that is very nice. I think you have found a perfect solution to a problem we have with those cheap nipple wrenches. The quarter inch socket is a good idea too. Wish I had the expertise to make one. Good job.

JIMinPHX
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
The biggest advantage of mine over the store bought ones is that mine has shorter prongs to grip the flat on the nipple. Most of the store bought ones have long prongs, & that provides too much leverage against the small amount of metal that supports the prongs. That's one reason why many of the store bought ones bend so easily. Most of the store bought ones can be improved by grinding their prongs back a little, before the prongs get bent.

I made mine from scratch because I wanted a convenient little tool to keep in my cleaning kit.

I didn't put it in the drawing, but a little concave dishing on the top makes the tool more ergonomic to work with.

Rio Grande
09-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I made a down-and-dirty one from a socket head cap screw...drilled the hex opening a bit bigger and deeper with a hand drill, and slotted it with a file. Chucked it in the drill and filed the outside diameter down a bit. Two nuts tightened to each other on the thread part for a handle (accepts wrench if need be) and I was good to go. Not as pretty as the one JIMinPHX made (by a long shot), but usable.

Why did I make it? Because the Traditions brand nipple wrench I paid $10 for self-destructed the VERY FIRST time I tried to use it. It was made of steel so soft it was absolutely worthless.

My home-made one was and is perfectly good, even with overly tight nipples. Should have just made it before buying that pc. of junk from Traditions.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-16-2011, 02:58 AM
Yes, and use a 3/16"/- 1/4" drive socket and an allen wrench for the square shouldered musket nipples. Snug, not extra tight, because you have a good wrench ! BvT

Newtire
09-17-2011, 11:31 PM
What a great idea! 1/4" sockets. I love this site!