PDA

View Full Version : have 45 acp both large and small primers should I sort to sell?

tackstrp
09-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Some day will sell few thousand 45 acp once fired that have accumulated. Have 45 acp either large or small primers.

Should I sort to sell? Seems like a lot of work for few coins.

Bula
09-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Seems people either love them or hate them. Unless you're selling them combined, for a song, my vote would be sort them.

300winmag
09-12-2011, 07:17 PM
+1 on the sorting, some like the small primer pockets, But most like the large.
I seen where a member not to long ago was looking for the small in the WTB forum.

MtGun44
09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't particularly care, but since 99.9% have large, the small size are a PITA to deal with
so I sort out the "junk".

Bill

williamwaco
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I would be really MIFFED if I bought a batch of .45s and found small pistol primers mixed in.

If you don't sort them, be sure to tell your buyer they are mixed.

09-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Williamwaco, you beat me to it.

Roger Ronas
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd be interested in 500 or so small primer brass.

garym1a2
09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Don't care for small primer brass.

Roger Ronas
09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
PM sent

KYCaster
09-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I would be really MIFFED if I bought a batch of .45s and found small pistol primers mixed in.

Yeah, what he said.

[QUOTE=462;1394795]Williamwaco, you beat me to it.

And him too.

Jerry

tackstrp
09-13-2011, 12:27 AM
thianks all for the comments. will sort or most likely sell to a dealer. no hurry

44man
09-13-2011, 08:37 AM
The small primer brass is the best for the ACP revolver.
Accuracy from the 1911 between primers is very small but it really makes a difference in the revolver.

zuke
09-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd sort then SWAP for the one you need.
If your getting rid of the small,swap for the same quantity of large primer.
You get rid of the one's you want and double what you have.

Trey45
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
This isn't exactly pertinent to your question, but I loathe, hate and despise small primer 45acp brass. I throw away every piece of it I come across. I may start saving it now that I know there's people out there who actually like it.

Big Boomer
09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
You have gotten largely uniform negative responses ... almost no one wants small primer .45 ACP brass for their reloading ... unless they can come by them in sufficiently large quantities to make it worth their while. Now let me give you a little different take on this brass.

I picked up my brass at the range some time back. No one else was around and I picked up someone else's brass that I hadn't noticed along with mine. I went through the cleaning and sorting by headstamp process as usual and, upon handling the brass, cleaning the primer pockets, etc., looked at the head of one piece of brass and something seemed different or odd. I was puzzled for a bit until I picked up another piece of brass that had a large pistol primer cup and was able to distinguish the difference. I had picked up a total of 30 or so pieces of Win. NT .45 ACP brass. I kept it separate, intending to toss the stuff, but being a scrounger by nature and since I had already de-primed and cleaned the brass, I ended up loading it to give it a test in a Daly tricked out .45 ACP and a Dan Wesson Pointeman of the same caliber.

I cast a 225 gr. LBT LFN .45 ACP boolit lubed w/ a combination of LBT Blue/FWFL and loaded with 4.5 to 4.8 gr. of Bullseye. Shooting off sand bags is always pretty much very good with the Daly and the DW. Then I tried the small pistol primer brass with everything else being the same in both pistols. The Daly showed slightly more uniformly round groups. But when I fired the same ammo with the small pistol primers in the DW, I got the smallest group I ever fired with any pistol at 25 yards. It was a one holer, less than 1 inch. I'm 71 years old now and can't hold as still as I once could, and certainly can't do it every time on demand, but the DW really likes the small pistol primer brass. Don't understand it but I'm keeping every piece of small primer .45 ACP brass I can get my hands on. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

paul edward
09-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I sort range pickup brass by headstamp. In 45 ACP, I only use Winchester. Everything else goes in bags as trading material. So far I have accumulated a couple hundred WIN NT with small primer pockets. I might load them some day.

There are only a few calibers that can be found with both size primers. In my reference collection are a couple old 38 Specials with large primer pockets.

W.R.Buchanan
09-13-2011, 01:02 PM
My take on the Win NT brass is that when you get enough to justify the change to the primer feed on you progressive, then do a run and set them asside for use in places you can't pick up your brass. IE: one way trip.

I have heard that the trend by manufacturers for .45 ACP, is to eventually go to all Small Primers. Which will simplify loading auto pistol brass on progressive loaders to all small primers.

However until that happens I am sorting the stuff out and bagging it for future use.

I think you should sort it, and sell the stuff to those that want it, then everybodies happy.

This could be a big job if you have many pounds of brass, however it is a job your kids can do when they have nothing to do instead of watching TV!

Even if you give them a few $ it is better done than left the way it is.

Randy

scrapcan
09-13-2011, 03:57 PM
the small primer brass is useful for those who shoot some of the cartridges made on necked down 45 acp cases. I like the sp brass for the 400 corbon.

higgins
09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I've sorted out the small primer .45 and kept it. I've never loaded any of it, but I like the idea of being able to use either large or small primers. Primers couldn't possibly get scarce enough for that to matter could they?

09-13-2011, 06:50 PM
"Primers couldn't possibly get scarce enough for that to matter could they?"

Hmmm...you must not have been in the primer market from the spring of '08 to the summer of '09.

fredj338
09-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I hate the concept, messes up my 650 bad when one gets mixed in. I used to just toss them, but am now saving them for lost brass matches or SHTF brass. I hatethrowing any good brass away.

TXGunNut
09-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Some days it's hard to tell the difference after sorting several hundred...there's a letter somewhere around here from my eye doctor. Wonder what it says?:roll: