PDA

View Full Version : using same case for reloading both cast and jacked bullets

rp85
09-12-2011, 06:28 PM
hello;

basic question, just don't know the answer. for reloading purpose, is there an issue using the same cases for both cast and jacket bullets????

thanks for any input.

rp

bobthenailer
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
What i usually do is use new or newer cases for full power loads ! and uses the ones loaded a unknown amount of times for my reduced loads until they split the necks of some other type of defect . other than what i do , they are interchanble between loads with jacketed or cast bullets

watkibe
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
same as bobthenailer.

Lizard333
09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Makes no difference.

noylj
09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Makes no difference.
IT is reported that you do need to clean the barrel thoroughly when you switch from lead to jacketed (and vice versa). Never tested it. Never seemed worth testing. Just turn on the Foul-Out.
If you need to shoot a larger than nominal lead bullet (say a 0.359" lead bullet in your 9x19), you might want to measure case wall thickness and save the thin ones for the lead bullets (see R.P. cases for a good example)

jonk
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I run whatever out of whatever. I don't sort, don't keep track of number of firings, only segregate by brand. I have some cases that have been fired 100 times mixed in with new cases and since they were all loaded light and neck sized only you can't see a difference.

I wouldn't worry about it.

runfiverun
09-13-2011, 06:23 PM
i like to use a full power load for my first one no matter what i use the case for later.
i generally sort one brand for jaxketed and one for cast, but i always start off with a full power load on a case.