PDA

View Full Version : General quarters! This is not a drill!

Jim
09-12-2011, 07:35 AM
The phone rang at 6:15 this morning. What the hill, over? Caller ID displayed Janet's mother's number. Pulse rate and adrenelin went to three digit levels.

Mom lives in an assisted living facility in Christiansburg, about 30 miles away. The power transformer overloaded, failed and exploded right about midnight.

Mom said it shook the building. The fire alarm went off and woke up everybody. The emergency generator kicked in and the hall way lights came up.

Police, fire, rescue and power showed up. Power went to work on killing the main feed circuit to the complex and fire/rescue went to work on getting all the residents of of the building and into another.

Mom said power was restored and everyone was finally returned to their rooms about 6 AM. Two water heaters went 'Tango Uniform' due to the failure.

Mom told Janet she was gonna skip breakfast and go to bed.

Bret4207
09-12-2011, 07:43 AM
BTDT, one of the nice things about living far from family is not having to be involved in every little detail of their lives. One of the bad things about living far from family is not being able to be involved in every little detail of their lives.

Harter66
09-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Well said Bret.

Jim,

I know the feeling all too well, w/kids in the service and my grandmother in assited living,my parents in their 70s.

Harter66
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Well said Bret.

Jim,

I know the feeling all too well, w/kids in the service and my grandmother in assited living,my parents in their 70s.

blackthorn
09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I absolutely HATE phone calls after about 10PM as they are almost always bad news! Jim--we are soooo pleased that your 'emergency' turned out well. Have a great day.

geargnasher
09-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the heart attack, Jim! Title threw me. :o

Gear

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-13-2011, 03:13 PM
every time the phone rings at or before 6am my wife is sure someone had died , she has been right a few times 3 grandparents , an aunt , an uncle , a great grand mother. several other calls for family members who were taken to the hospital in the middle of the night.