PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt six gun and PP ?

greywuuf
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
I will admit to having not searched this topic and I will, just I am impulsive and it just occured to me that I happen to have a heavy GC bullet mold for my sixgun and I realy want to try paper patching one a large caliber slug that would be suitable for BP ( dont ask long story )

anyway any reason I can not experiment with PP in my ruger 45 with some LBT 300 grain GC bullets ( yes I have some without the GC seated ) and no I dont plan to use BP or substitutes right now, but I wish to try it at sometime, just that the only cast molds I have seem to be for this gun.

Dan

pdawg_shooter
09-12-2011, 08:07 AM
I have tried patching for handguns. Works fine, BUT, why. A lubed cast bullet will handle anything a handgun can do. I dont mean the pocket rifles some call handguns. In a common handgun there is just no advantage to paper patching.

greywuuf
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Good Point!, I was thinking on building a 35 of better caliber bolt gun and wanted to PP for it but it would be a while before that comes to fruition and this and some 357 magnum wheel guns are all I cast for so i thought I might "practice" though on reflection how would I know if it was working ? Better idea might be to patch up the 300 grain 6 gun slugs for my 45-70 got a nice long barreled 1886 Winnie that might like those.