PDA

View Full Version : Ajax rifle project

waksupi
09-12-2011, 12:41 AM
I've been working on a Lancaster rifle for Andy, and I guess this may be an easier way to do updates, good and bad.

Andy did some shopping, and found the cheapest kit he could find for the rifle, and he kinda got what he paid for. I looked at what he was going to order on the website, and from the description, it looked like a really good deal.

Then it arrived.

When I unpacked the parts, the first thing that jumped out at me, was the blemish in the butt stock. And I mean a serious blemish. You could see where the limb had been cut off, and bark inclusions in the wood. It stretched from approximately halfway down the cheek piece, to a third of the way back into the after stock. There was also a serious weather check in the butt, and the wood had obviously not been properly cured before profiling. I could actually feel dampness in the wood when I unpacked it.

The supplier had sent along a spare piece of brass gratis, to make a cheek piece inlay to cover it. That was nice, but the brass was 2", the flaw was 4", and there was no way I was going to be able to make this look good. So, I got on the email, and told him I was returning the wood, and a couple other parts that were sub-par, and not suitable for the style of rifle. He back peddled a bit, and tried telling me I am a good enough rifle builder I shouldn't have any problem with the stock. I told him, BS, send another stock, I wasn't going to try and fix his trash. I did it by email, to be sure I got everything in print.

So, a couple weeks later, the new stock showed up, much better quality. I hope he burned the one I sent back, it sure shouldn't be on a decent firearm.

I went ahead and inlet tte barrel, and was fairly lucky, as he hadn't had too much wood hogged out, as is common with pre-inlet stocks (I hate them!)
I guess I got ahead of myself there. I put in a filler piece inside the stock before the barrel inletting. Like some of the fly by nights, they had drilled the first part of the ram rod channel for a couple inches, then routered out the rest of the channel on the inside of the stock. This is a miserable cheap low life way to do a ramrod channel. It removes too much wood for strength, plus makes it extremely difficult to hold the stock in a vise to work on, as you can easily crush the stock, and close up the barrel channel you are trying to inlet.

Ok, got the barrel in, then looked at the under lugs. Brass sand cast, certainly not my first choice, and only three. I like four on this length barrel, so added in an iron one I had here.

Next was the lock inlet, which didn't take a lot of work, but was certainly not fully inlet as advertised. The lock is a Siler, and as I examined it, I found the tip if the tumbler was broke. Great. So, I called Jim Chambers, since they are making the Silers now. We determined it was an old stock lock that Bud Siler had put together, so was not covered by Jim's warranty. So, there goes some more of Andy's bucks down the road.

I've got the butt plate temporarily in place. Easy install, but the wrong screws for this rifle were sent so I will need to locate the right ones to use. So, that is another "let's be cheap" thing this company did.

I also have the trigger guard installed now, and was working on the ramrod thimbles today. Surprise, surprise, they hadn't even soldered the thimbles. Well, I guess it is a kit, and they may have saved three cents on that deal. It all adds up, I guess. Anyway, I soldered those up, and have the rear entry thimble nearly inlet.

A couple good things I can say about the parts. The barrel appears to be excellent, and should be a good shooter. The stock had a lot of wood left on it, so I can take it down where it needs to be. Most kits have too much wood gone where it is needed. Much easier to take it off, than to put it on.

Oh, yes, nearly forgot. I had ordered a different correct trigger guard, trigger and plate from TOW. When I was unpacking the box, I noticed the trigger guard looked a bit funny. I took it out of the baggie, and it basically feel in half in my hand. Flaw in the casting, it happens, but I have already had enough fun with such things with this rifle. So, return to TOW, and another new one was sent.

The lock is rough as a cob inside, so I will probably have a full day of working on that. All in all, this bargain kit is not a bargain, and I am going to end up with many more hours in it than I had expected. So Andy, don't get in a hurry!

Once I get all the parts on the rifle, or nearly so, I will start showing pictures of the progress of the project. I need to take off lots of wood before I can put on the patch box.

Dean D.
09-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Wow Ric, I feel for both you and Andy. Bummer deal. Makes me feel lucky I had so few problems with my kit. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get them posted. I never tire of seeing your wonderful craftsmanship. :grin:

Ajax
09-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Let this be a warning to others. If you plan to have someone build you a rifle, please get the builders input prior to ordering a kit or parts. If I had the forethought to do that this would have been a better build with much fewer headaches. This kit was bought from a established dealer online, so once again, make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. I am just lucky I decided to have Ric build this for me. I would have never got this kit built with all the problems we have had with it.

Andy

waksupi
09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Does this wood make Andy's butt look big?

Yes!

So I took some off. I still need to go to town for some screws. I thought I had enough for the patch box, but I see I don't. That will most likely be next week, as I leave for a shoot tomorrow.

theweswillard
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM
This is an absolute fine piece of craftsmanship. Fantastic work. [smilie=w:

plmitch
09-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Very nice work there, looking forward to seeing the outcome.

waksupi
09-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Okay, here is a "fix" for Andy. Don't like to see him having the shakes!

Nose cap fit, and ready to be pinned, and patch box installed. I'll be putting on the sights next, and installing the vent.

Ajax
09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Thats friggin awesome. I love the muzzle.

Andy

waksupi
09-26-2011, 07:07 PM
A bit more progress. Andy didn't want a lot of fancy stuff, but considering the pain this has been, I'm claiming the right to add gingerbread!

oneokie
09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Wasn't artistic liscense part of the original deal?

PS: do we need to start a fund raiser for Andy so he can get a bib or drool guard?

waksupi
09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Wasn't artistic liscense part of the original deal?

Yes it was. Always a good way with me, as you get a hell of a lot of bang for your buck that way. That makes the difference between fine art, and commercial art.

docone31
09-26-2011, 08:56 PM
That is absolutely beautiful.
It all works. I love it.
Well done.

Ajax
09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
i love it ric much more beautiful thn i thought it would be.

Andy

Bret4207
09-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Aw man! I got a severe case of the WANTS! Nice job Ric, really nice!

waksupi
09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Aw man! I got a severe case of the WANTS! Nice job Ric, really nice!

It could be arranged for you to have one built......

Bret4207
09-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Aw, you got a real evil streak in you, you know that?

waksupi
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I have got the parts together now. There was tweaking to be done on various things as I re-assembled this, so I have pretty much another full day in this project. Tomorrow will be the fun day of testing, assuming it isn't raining cats and dogs, and I have the right size balls for it!

gon2shoot
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
You were right Ric, that shoe polish does look good on that stock. lol

waksupi
10-05-2011, 08:18 PM
You were right Ric, that shoe polish does look good on that stock. lol

Hides darn near all the Dremel marks, don't it?

Dean D.
10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't know Ric, that rifle may be entirely too nice for a Pilgrim!

Ajax
10-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I got my rifle on wedsday. All I can say is WOW. The pictures do this rifle no justice. Ric took my meager attempt at explaining what i wanted and turned this rifle into way more than i coul dever hope for. If you are wanting a custom muzzleloader then you will not be dissapointed at all in having ric build it for you.
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo195/andyjax/338400_1559716208643_1707444007_802612_572811530_o .jpg

Andy

waksupi
10-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Andy. As I said, if a person turns me loose with a project they get a lot more bang for the buck!

I am accepting more work for the winter season, if anyone else would like a gun put together. You can not beat the price and quality.

Just Duke
04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Andy. As I said, if a person turns me loose with a project they get a lot more bang for the buck!

I am accepting more work for the winter season, if anyone else would like a gun put together. You can not beat the price and quality.

Where do get the kits and how much for labor?

waksupi
04-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Where do get the kits and how much for labor?

Track of the Wolf and Chambers Flintlocks are good sources. Do not get one from where Andy did! The money you save on the kit, will be more than lost due to extra shop time fixing things that are wrong with it.
Price varies according to how fancy you want to go.

Just Duke
04-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Track of the Wolf and Chambers Flintlocks are good sources. Do not get one from where Andy did! The money you save on the kit, will be more than lost due to extra shop time fixing things that are wrong with it.
Price varies according to how fancy you want to go.

Thank you sir I will be getting back with you soon.